This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password not displaying data [Update to latest version and clear cache]

I use 1Password almost daily, usually on my Mac. Today I opened it and--IT's EMPTY!!! Naturally I am panicking, especially since Agile has cut e-mail contact off--temporarily, I hope!

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8; I usually use Firefox. I use the program with Dropbox, and all my data files SEEM to be there--but I don't understand how to make use of them to restore my data. Same thing, I'm afraid, for whatever may be stored on Time Machine.

In short, I'm clueless and rather anxious. In fact, maybe my question has already been answered somewhere here; but if so I either didn't find where or didn't understand what I read. I am not a stupid person (I have a Ph.D. in a non-technical subject), but I'm lost. If anyone can offer guidance, please do!

Comments

• OK, I calmed down, found the Help file in 1Password, and followed the instructions for restoring from a backup, which happily I had in Time Machine (thank you, Time Machine). It was a breeze. So all is well.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    [quote name='thebbikins' timestamp='1312429736' post='36614']

OK, I calmed down, found the Help file in 1Password, and followed the instructions for restoring from a backup, which happily I had in Time Machine (thank you, Time Machine). It was a breeze. So all is well.

[/quote]

Welcome to the forums, thebbikins!

Sorry about the scare you had, but Time Machine (or any well executed backup strategy) can come in handy when you least expect to need it. That's one reason that 1Password comes with its own backup system — it gives you yet another place to turn to for restoring your 1Password data. If you're not already familiar with it, please take a few minutes to look it over and verify the settings are right for you [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/data_backup.html"]on this page[/url].
  • [quote name='MartyS' timestamp='1312506937' post='36876']

please take a few minutes to look it over and verify the settings are right for you [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/data_backup.html"]on this page[/url].

[/quote]

Thanks--I will do so pronto. I appreciate your looking in on me!
  • thebbikins
    edited August 2011
    [quote name='MartyS' timestamp='1312506937' post='36876']

Sorry about the scare you had, but Time Machine (or any well executed backup strategy) can come in handy when you least expect to need it. That's one reason that 1Password comes with its own backup system — it gives you yet another place to turn to for restoring your 1Password data. If you're not already familiar with it, please take a few minutes to look it over and verify the settings are right for you [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/data_backup.html"]on this page[/url].

[/quote]

Dear MartyS,

I read the file whose link you provided. I'm afraid I'm still not 100% clear about what I need. I have Time Machine, which I [i]think[/i] stores my backup on my external LaCie drive--is that how it works? And I use Dropbox so that I can access 1Password from anywhere I might need it. So far, all of that works great! But do I understand from the instructions you sent that I need yet one more remote backup? Or does Dropbox serve the purpose of a remote backup?

--Oh, and one more question. I'm not sure, but I THINK my data might have vanished when I clicked on something somewhere to indicate that, yes, I did wish to install the browser extension for Safari. I discovered today that I had not installed the correct updates, or that the last effort to install one failed. Could a botched browser extension installation have somehow caused my data to disappear? I realize you can only speculate.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2011
    Hey thebbikins,

Thanks for your reply.

[quote]I read the file whose link you provided. I'm afraid I'm still not 100% clear about what I need. I have Time Machine, which I think stores my backup on my external LaCie drive--is that how it works? And I use Dropbox so that I can access 1Password from anywhere I might need it. So far, all of that works great! But do I understand from the instructions you sent that I need yet one more remote backup? Or does Dropbox serve the purpose of a remote backup?[/quote]

Time Machine may be used to store backups on an internal or an external drive. Using an external LaCie drive is one common storage method. For more details regarding Time Machine, I recommend reading the following Apple Support article: Mac 101: Time Machine [url="http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427"]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427[/url]

Marty's comments regarding 1Password's own backup function, detailed in the link he provided, were to let you know of a separate backup solution for your 1Password data. TM is capable of backing up your entire system, whereas 1Password backs up only your 1Password data. Dropbox syncing provides yet another method for remotely backing up your 1Password data file as well.

Marty just wanted you to be aware that, in addition to TM and Dropbox, 1P offered a third way to access your 1P data in the event you needed it. I do not believe he meant to imply that you needed more than one remote backup, although as part of any "any well executed backup strategy" multiple backups is not a bad idea.

[quote]--Oh, and one more question. I'm not sure, but I THINK my data might have vanished when I clicked on something somewhere to indicate that, yes, I did wish to install the browser extension for Safari. I discovered today that I had not installed the correct updates, or that the last effort to install one failed. Could a botched browser extension installation have somehow caused my data to disappear? I realize you can only speculate.

[/quote]

A "botched" installation may be the cause of the browser extension to not work properly (i.e., not showing your data), but since your 1P data file is separate from the 1Password application and any of 1Password's browser extensions, your data file would not be affected.

I realize that it has been a couple of days since your last message, and I'm sorry for the delayed response. However, we've released additional updates since you last posted, and I'd like for you to confirm that you're still experiencing your problem after updating to our most current versions of 1Password and the 1P Safari extension.

As of this writing, the latest versions are: 3.7.2 (build 31099) and 3.7.b10, respectively.

Please let us know if you are still having trouble. We'll keep working until we get it right!

Cheers!

Brandt
  • [quote name='bswins' timestamp='1312655357' post='37307']

H

As of this writing, the latest versions are: 3.7.2 (build 31099) and 3.7.b10, respectively.

Please let us know if you are still having trouble. We'll keep working until we get it right!

Cheers!

Brandt

[/quote]

Hi Brandt--My version of 1P is up to date. And guess what: it happened AGAIN--another vanishing act! (I was able to restore everything.)

This time the disappearing act seems to have happened after I used the 1P extension for the Mozilla Firefox browser to generate a new password. Here is the sequence of events as best as I recall them:

I clicked on the "Generate Password" button on the browser extension.

1P generated a password for me.

I changed it by selecting a different option (e.g., pronounceable vs. some other kind).

I was asked to launch 1P in order to save the password (which seemed odd to me).

I re-launched and opened: empty.

After I restored the data, the new password I had just generated did not appear, so I'm thinking that using the browser extension may be the culprit. Please advise.
  • [quote name='thebbikins' timestamp='1312918746' post='38086']

I was asked to launch 1P in order to save the password (which seemed odd to me).

I re-launched and opened: empty.[/quote]

It is strange that you had to open 1Password to save the password, really you should have just had to unlock 1Password through Firefox.

I think you've just given us a key piece of information though, the fact that you could open 1Password but your data wasn't visible suggests the problem isn't actually with your data file but instead could be related to a bug we've been seeing from a very small number of users related to the cache we use to speed up access to your 1Password data.

Could you open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache, this should prevent any further problems going forward and let you use the browser extensions without any major issues.

Please do let me know how it turns out.
  • thebbikins
    edited August 2011
    [quote name='stu' timestamp='1312920347' post='38092'] Could you open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache, this should prevent any further problems going forward and let you use the browser extensions without any major issues. Please do let me know how it turns out.[/quote]

Wouldn't you know it: it happened YET AGAIN when I asked the Mozilla browser extension to generate a password for me. I hadn't yet cleared the cache. I restored everything, including the newly generated password, and also updated to the most recent build when prompted. Then I went to clean the cache, and was told it was already cleared (or empty or whatever). No need to respond; I'll see if it happens again now that I've got the new build and the clean cache.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Clearing 1Password's cache should resolve the issue (along with running the latest version 3.7.5 of 1Password). Please do let us know if happens again. If so, please send a Diagnostics Report (which you can generate using that same menu) to support@agilebits.com as soon as it happens. The closer to the time of the issue, the better picture we will be able to get from the report. Thanks!

[img]https://img.skitch.com/20110814-q3cif4by5df45e66sdc3txc2f8.png[/img]
  • I am having the same issue. All data is vanished at one point. But when I restarted my Mac and 1Password, All data was back. Any idea why this happens ?

Also, when I use finder to go to [color=#666600]~[/color][color=#008800]/Library/[/color][color=#660066]Application[/color][color=#000000] [/color][color=#660066]Support[/color][color=#666600]/[/color][color=#006666]1Password[/color][color=#666600]/[/color][color=#006666]1Password[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]agilekeychain , [size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Finder can't find [/font][/size][/color]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]1Password folder. So I can't get into 1Password.agilekeychain file. Any idea how to fix this problem ?[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Thanks,[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Tolga[/color][/font][/size]
  • Tolga,

It sounds like you have the same cache issue as described above, it does seem to be affecting only a few users but we're looking into exactly why it happens. If you follow Khad's instructions and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache you should see no further issues.

That said, it is incredibly strange that you can't see the 1Password folder. If you go to 1Password > Preferences > General do you see the path for your 1Password data file displayed?
  • [quote name='stu' timestamp='1313423971' post='39382']

Tolga,

It sounds like you have the same cache issue as described above, it does seem to be affecting only a few users but we're looking into exactly why it happens. If you follow Khad's instructions and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache you should see no further issues.

That said, it is incredibly strange that you can't see the 1Password folder. If you go to 1Password > Preferences > General do you see the path for your 1Password data file displayed?

[/quote]

I see a dropbox path for 1Password data file. I understand that 1Password.agilekeychain file in dropbox so is it normal that it is not on my Mac ?

But Backups are supposed to be on 1Password folder on my Mac. But I can't access to 1Password folder with Finder. Why do you think is it so ?

Thanks,

Tolga
  • Agile Crusader,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad you are working on this cache issue.

About the other question, I figured out that you can't see the library

folder in Lion. As a solution to that You can use Go To Folder in Finder

and type Library so that you can see your 1Password folder.

Thanks,

Tolga
  • Tolga,

The way Dropbox works on the Mac means that your data is always stored on the Mac and then synced to Dropbox, so your 1Password.agilekeychain file will be available under your Dropbox folder within Finder.

My mistake for not mentioning the fact that Library is hidden in Lion, you can also hold down the Option key while in the 'Go' menu in a Finder window and your Library folder will appear as an option.