This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password Pro will not unlock on iPad2

Purchased 1Password Pro when it was first released. Installed it on an iPod Touch (the only iOS device I had at the time), assigning a master password. Recently purchased an iPad2, installed 1Password Pro via Apple's App Store, and synched the app with the database from 1Password on my iMac. But when 1Password Pro is opened on the iPad2, it asks to be unlocked. It does not recognize the master password I assigned to the app on the iPod Touch. Have no idea what it is looking for. Stymied.

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited August 2011
    Hi JaJa, welcome to the forums!

Did you sync using the Wi-Fi network between your Mac and iPad? If yes, please try using the master password assigned to 1Password on your Mac.

The master password does not have to be the same between iOS devices and because they do not have to be the same, we do not sync the master passwords between them. The only time the master password is synced is when the 1Password app is first asked to sync with 1Password on the Mac over the Wi-Fi network instead of creating a new data file.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • MikeT, thanks for your reply. Yes, I did sync via Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, the master password for my iMac version of 1Password contains characters not available on the iPad's virtual keyboard. Perhaps I should try changing that password to something simpler; then delete, reinstall and resync 1Password Pro onto the iPad, and then reset both passwords???
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='Jaja' timestamp='1312591537' post='37112']

MikeT, thanks for your reply. Yes, I did sync via Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, the master password for my iMac version of 1Password contains characters not available on the iPad's virtual keyboard. Perhaps I should try changing that password to something simpler; then delete, reinstall and resync 1Password Pro onto the iPad, and then reset both passwords???

[/quote]Hi Jaja,

That’s strange, the iPad keyboard should have most of the keyboard characters that’s on the Mac. If it is something like an accent character, you can press on the ‘a’ key and hold it for a few seconds until you see the character map show up.

If that doesn’t help, you have the right idea on how to fix this. You’ll need to change the master password in 1Password ( 1Password’s Preferences > Security), reinstall 1Password Pro, re-sync it and change the master password back on the Mac. I recommend changing the password on the Mac to something you want to use on the iPad, so that you don’t have to do the extra work of changing it again on the iPad.

Please let me know how it turns out.
  • [quote name='MikeT' timestamp='1312596152' post='37136']

Hi Jaja,

That’s strange, the iPad keyboard should have most of the keyboard characters that’s on the Mac. If it is something like an accent character, you can press on the ‘a’ key and hold it for a few seconds until you see the character map show up.

If that doesn’t help, you have the right idea on how to fix this. You’ll need to change the master password in 1Password ( 1Password’s Preferences > Security), reinstall 1Password Pro, re-sync it and change the master password back on the Mac. I recommend changing the password on the Mac to something you want to use on the iPad, so that you don’t have to do the extra work of changing it again on the iPad.

Please let me know how it turns out.

[/quote]

MikeT,

The procedure we've been discussing has been followed successfully. I'm now able to unlock 1Password Pro on the iPad 2.

There are a few keyboard characters that can only be accessed when the Control or Option key is pressed. Those keys do not appear on the iPad's (or iPod's) keyboard. Using them may seem like overkill; but since 1Password's master password is the key to all my other passwords, I wanted it to be as tough as possible to crack. Of course, now that I've synced the password file to two mobile devices, neither of which can accommodate such a complex password, that rationale may no longer apply!

Your help is appreciated.

Jaja
  • Jaja,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get 1Password on the iPad to properly unlock.

While your master password is the key to your data, we never recommend making it something that's impossible, or very difficult, to type, as you need to be able to use it on a regular basis. Our resident security guru actually posted on our blog about choosing a good master password and you can find that post here:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/toward-better-master-passwords/

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

[quote name='Jaja' timestamp='1312654280' post='37304']

MikeT,

The procedure we've been discussing has been followed successfully. I'm now able to unlock 1Password Pro on the iPad 2.

There are a few keyboard characters that can only be accessed when the Control or Option key is pressed. Those keys do not appear on the iPad's (or iPod's) keyboard. Using them may seem like overkill; but since 1Password's master password is the key to all my other passwords, I wanted it to be as tough as possible to crack. Of course, now that I've synced the password file to two mobile devices, neither of which can accommodate such a complex password, that rationale may no longer apply!

Your help is appreciated.

Jaja

[/quote]