This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

"Data not available" resolved in latest version

I purchased 1Password 3 for Mac on July 29, 2011. I was finally motivated to become a new user after years of advice by mac-saavy friends. Little did I know that I was walking into a perfect storm.

Since July 29, I have reinstalled both the latest 1Password app and Safari extension every few days -- hoping that all would come together and work. The extension has NEVER worked. EVERY time I have attempted to unlock the extension in Safari, I get the now infamous "Data not available" error dialogue.

My system details are: OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50), 1Password Version 3.7.2 (build 31099), 1Password Safari Extension (beta) 3.7.b10.

Suggestions?

Comments

• ormie
    ormie Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    Yes, it hasn't been really workable since the change to the extensions version. The latest version, when I try to use it to enter a password shows the drop-down box with the various check boxes and text windows, but all the text is overlaid with other text and can't be used or read. It's proving to be a bit useless just now as I have to keep going into the desktop version to get my passwords!
  • [quote name='ctoddr' timestamp='1312813320' post='37724']

Since July 29, I have reinstalled both the latest 1Password app and Safari extension every few days -- hoping that all would come together and work. The extension has NEVER worked. EVERY time I have attempted to unlock the extension in Safari, I get the now infamous "Data not available" error dialogue.

[/quote]

ctoddr,

I'm sorry for the trouble here, it sounds like the extension isn't communicating properly with 1Password in order to sync your data. We're working on a major update at the moment that should fix this once and for all, but for now can you open and unlock 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent and then with 1Password still open and unlocked launch Safari and try entering your master password again.

That should get you up and running.

[quote name='ormie' timestamp='1312818477' post='37740']

Yes, it hasn't been really workable since the change to the extensions version. The latest version, when I try to use it to enter a password shows the drop-down box with the various check boxes and text windows, but all the text is overlaid with other text and can't be used or read. It's proving to be a bit useless just now as I have to keep going into the desktop version to get my passwords!

[/quote]

ormie,

Your issue is slightly different and isn't actually a result of anything in the 1Password extension itself. The broken 1Password window can be caused by several unsupported Safari extensions or older plugins. Because of the unsupported nature in which they interact with applications, these extensions can interfere greatly with the proper behaviour of the 1Password browser extensions.

Examples of extensions we've seen that cause issues are "SafariSniffer" and "Wondershare AllMyTube/Free YouTube Downloader". It is likely other unsupported extensions would result in similar problems.

You can see if you have any of these installed by looking in these folders:

[code]~/Library/ScriptingAdditions[/code]

(in your Home folder)

[code]/Library/ScriptingAdditions[/code]

(in the root of your hard disk)

The most popular one is SIMBL, but there are others as well. Try moving anything you find in these folders somewhere else, for example, to your Desktop. Once the files are moved, please restart Safari and I suspect you will be greeted with a much more enjoyable 1Password experience.

Hope that helps,
  • Stu,

Thanks for your prompt response. I tried the steps you suggested:

1. Open 1Password, enter master password, click Help>Troubleshooting>Restart Agent, leave 1Password running

2. Open Safari (it was closed during the prior steps), click the 1P button, enter master password

Result: The same "Data Not Available" error is announced in the 1P button and caption below.

I'm game to hold tight until you and your colleagues solve this once and for all. I hope you are planning to send an email to your registered users, so that we don't have to keep trawling the forums...

Thanks.

--ctoddr
  • Dear Stu,

Yahoo! It works. I just updated the app and the extension. I'm currently running:

1P v3.7.5.BETA-3 (build 31103)

1P Safari Extension (beta) 3.7b13

on

OS 10.6.8

Version 5.1 (6534.50)

Bravo!

--ctoddr
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited August 2011
    I am glad that our day-and-night shifts to create the new version helped.

Thank you for the update!