This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Import Logins from Safari 5.1

Joining this forum I didn't save the password in 1Password because, honestly, I don't know if I'll still be using it at the end of the day. I bought it with the assumption that I would be able to use fewer brain cycles for password related tasks, but thus far this app is not worthless ... but ....

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 with the latest version of 1P. Am I to understand that importing from keychain was TOTALLY taken out of the app, even for snow leopard? Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not ... please point me to the refund desk.

Trying a work around, I haven't even been able to export the data from keychain. The Export is grayed out. Looking for an answer to that, I've found none.

So, to wrap up and summarize: no importing from keychain at all, and the work around of exporting and importing is broken too, for some reason.

Lordy.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited August 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Bill. I'm sorry your first post couldn't be under better circumstances.

Unfortunately, you have caught 1Password at a bad time for that particular feature. It was only [i]just[/i] pulled with the release of Safari 5.1. If you have access to a machine with Safari 5.0, you can install 1Password 3.6.0 and perform the import there. Of course, you would need to sync or otherwise transfer your OS X keychain to that machine first.

The import was performed by the Safari extension, but Safari 5.1 required a complete rewrite. The code we had been using for 5 years was no longer the code we could use going forward. We are working to restore functionality in some areas (and have already surpassed the previous extension in many others). This is one of those areas where I wish I had a better answer for you right now.

I went ahead and processed your refund and left your license active since it was not your fault that this transition came when it did. Please feel free to continue to explore 1Password if you are interested in giving it a shot even without a "mass import" of your Safari passwords. What I did when I made the switch was simply have 1Password installed and "watching" as I browsed the web and eventually it knew all my passwords. This kept my data from getting crufty from a mass import of credentials from bygone eras. It worked well for me, but I won't presume you are of a similar disposition when it come to data migration.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, but please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Best regards,
  • Khad,

Thank you for your response and the refund. Honestly, I can't believe you did that.

I've thought about it, learned about some other 1Password features, and decided that I can rebuild my library of logins. Because of that, and your response, I am re-buying a license.

Thanks,

Bill
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Thanks for understanding, Bill. We really appreciate your business (even more so because we know you didn't have to buy 1Password again). Customers like you reaffirm our decision to always provide the best support possible.

If we can be further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!