This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Master Password Prompt Option

Shaun
edited August 2011 in Mac
Hello,

I'm currently using the trial of 1Pass 3 as well as Acrylic Wallet. I much prefer the overall look & functionality of 1Pass 3 but do love one feature of Wallet. With each site you want to access via Wallet, you must enter your master password.

With Wallet, you go to stored site, click on the extension and it prompts you for your master password. Once you enter your password, it autofills the data.

The way I'm seeing 1Pass 3 is that I only have to enter my master password once during startup or from sleep, etc.

Is it possible to enable a master password prompt each time I want to autofill a store site?

The way it is now, unless I lock my machine, and 1Pass is activated; I could walk away and my roommate could sit-down and access all of my saved sites.

Hopefully I explained this clearly.

Comments

• [quote name='Shaun' timestamp='1312910939' post='38057']

The way it is now, unless I lock my machine, and 1Pass is activated; I could walk away and my roommate could sit-down and access all of my saved sites.[/quote]

Hi Shaun,

1Password works slightly differently in the way your master password is required, we use a system of universal unlock and auto-lock to give our users the most flexible way to secure their data. By default 1Password should be locking automatically after 20 minutes of computer inactivity as set by going to 1Password > Preferences > Security.

If you take a look at our [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/preferences_security.html"]guide to 1Password's security preferences[/url] you should be able to set the options as you see fit to make sure that 1Password is locking for you as required.

There currently isn't a way to have 1Password prompt you on each activation of the extension, most users would find this incredibly annoying, but with an auto-lock time of around 1 minute you should find your desired behaviour.

I hope that helps,
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Some tips:

If "Disable automatic unlock for 1Password" is checked you will always be prompted to enter your master password when opening 1Password. This includes quitting the app and relaunching it.

Likewise, if "Disable automatic unlock for all applications" is checked you will always be prompted to enter your master password when using one of the browser extensions after a fresh launch of your browser(s).

So an easy way to keep prying eyes at bay is to leave both of the above settings enabled and quit 1Password and your browsers when you are done using them. Your data will be locked.

Otherwise, you are relying on the auto-lock settings to secure your data which will either lock your data after X minutes of inactivity, when your Mac begins to sleep, or when the screen saver is activated whichever of the selected options comes first.

The auto-lock timeout is measured by computer activity and not 1Password activity. In order for 1Password to automatically lock after X minutes, there must be no mouse or keyboard activity for the entire duration.

To speed up the auto-lock process you might consider the following.

1. Set an Active Screen Corner for you screen saver and activate the screen saver when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners).

2. Close the lid of your Mac laptop to put your Mac to sleep.

3. Activate the login window when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > "Show fast user switching menu as…")

The above three options will also secure your entire OS X login if you have enabled "Require password … after sleep or screen saver begins" (System Preferences > Security > General).

Perhaps that will also help. Please let me know.

Cheers,
  • I am trying to change my locking preference under security, but all are greyed out except the change password. Can I fix this?
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi there,

Is 1Password (the main app) unlocked while you are trying to make changes? If it is locked it will also lock the preferences.

Ben
  • Yep, duh. Figured out a few minutes later. Thanks!