This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Why has the Safari extension changed so much

bexxxer
edited August 2011 in Mac
<div class="IPBDescription">Changes required to support Safari 5.1</div>Too many clicks are needed to get where I want, the list of options per site is too long, I really miss the old well working menue - how can I get it back? Where could I download an older version. 1PAssword used to be one of my favorite software now it is a pain - please fix or go back to the old extension or show me a way to get back there - I would even downgrade Safari to use the old 1Password that I really love!

Comments

• [quote name='bexxxer' timestamp='1312919034' post='38087']

I really miss the old well working menue - how can I get it back? Where could I download an older version.[/quote]

Hi bexxxer,

The new extension came about because of some substantial changes made to Safari 5.1 during it's development that meant that we had to completely rebuild our Safari integration in the form of a new native Safari extension in order to make sure that 1Password would be compatible with Safari 5.1 and the future direction of Safari going forward.

We're not going to hide the fact that this is a big change, but we think it's a change for the better going forward, it gives us a lot more power under the hood, paves the way for a consistent 1Password experience across all supported browsers and we think once you get used so some of the new functionality you'll grow to love it like we do.

Have you taken a look at our [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/safari_intro.html"]guide to the new extension[/url]? It should help you get up and running, a lot of the same keyboard shortcuts are available in the new extension and we've tried to make the latest updates as easy to use as possible.

I'm going to be up front and say that we won't be going back to the old extension, going to a native extension is the way forward and starts to open the door for 1Password to be in the Mac App Store in the future. Similarly, we can't support or recommend users downgrading Safari, Safari 5.1 contains many security fixes and therefore it would be a unwise move to downgrade to Safari 5.0.5 which has many known exploits.

Thanks for your feedback,
  • I think it would be great if the icons in the new extension included "tool tips" on mouse over. Perhaps I am visually unimaginative, but I have little to no intuition about which icon to click to do the things I used to do from the text menu. The tool tips might help people through the transition of learning the icons.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2011
    That's something we're considering as an option, we're also updating our documentation to help people see which icons are for which function. To give you a brief run-down from top-to-bottom:[list]

[*][b]Logins[/b]: Shows you any Login items that match the current site you're on.

[*][b]All Logins[/b]: Lets you quickly access any of your save Logins, start typing and the list will filter as you search.

[*][b]Credit Cards[/b]: Fills one of your selected Credit Card items when shopping online, of course you select which one to fill, it's not Credit Card Roulette.

[*][b]Identities[/b]: Let's you select a saved Identity item to fill your personal details on registration / checkout forms etc.

[*][b]Password Generator[/b]: Let's you generate a strong password for a site and fill this, handy when changing your password.

[*][b]Settings[/b]: Let's you customise the settings for the extension.

[/list]

Finally, the lock icon at the bottom, well, it locks the extension for you [img]http://forum.agile.ws/public/style_emoticons/default/skype_smile.png[/img]

Thanks for the feedback, Marc, we do appreciate it.