This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox shows external disk I want to reformat as grayed out...

rednoser
rednoser Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Knox
In Preferences, aiming to protect an entire external drive, Knox shows the disk I want to reformat as grayed out...

I tried it on a different machine with the same result. The drive is a WD Passport SE.

I'm very surprised and frankly, annoyed, that this possibility is not even listed. The manual () is so rudimentary, it hardly deserves the name. 1Password is my favorite app, but Knox looks released too soon as it's posing more mysteries than the ease of use I expected.

It's two days later and I have 18 views but no reply and I'm in a hurry to leave with a "Knoxed" disk, so if anyone knows why my WD disk appears grayed-out in the Knox reformat dropdown, please...

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Hi rednoser,

I have had a time following your posts, its interesting I read the forums each night and last night I didn't see it maybe it was just from being to tired from my normal job. I dunno, I am just a volunteer here. I posted some questions for you about your install situation as well as the hard drive issue not showing up correctly if you would please jump over to the other thread rather than me cross post. Thanks

[url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?24537-Knox-s-manual-online[/url]

Now having seen this thread it indeed answers a question or two from the other thread, I apologize for the delay. Most of the developers have been traveling and its possible that whom ever did see this post maybe just marked it for there followup, once they returned.
  • rednoser
    rednoser Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Nice of you to stand up for the Knox crew. Let me be specific about my setup. I run 3 Macs, a current Macbook 13" solid body, a Macbook Pro 17" and an iMac 24". All run the latest Snow. I have been developing websites, GUI's, and running a graphic design firm and ecommerce websites since 1989 during which time I have owned or worked on practically every Mac Apple has put out, so let's assume for the benefit of my experience with Knox that I'm somewhat qualified to recognize a piece of great software or a piece of crap.

Unfortunately, I was totally suckered into Knox, courtesy of 1Password and its updating by AWS.

Unfortunately, Knox has since day one become synonymous with "beach ball" on all three healthy machines. For reasons totally mysterious Knox today did let me reformat a disk previously unavailable (grayed-out), but the good news ends there. Trying to bring up another disk previously fashioned with a vault has now been going on for 2 hours and I will have to dismount the disk that now contains files I need to show to a client in Europe. Imagine, watching with him the Knox beach ball for several hours.

I applaud your willingness to look into the issues that users are having on behalf of the M.I.A. Knox crew, but if I can't get Knox to work properly on 3 different machines without having to join the Great Volunteer Knox Manual Writing Group as suggested elsewhere and based on other people's problems I do believe we're looking at a severely flawed product that should never have been put in the hands of unsuspecting pre-qualified 1Password customers, even at a discount.

FYI, I have meanwhile remounted my drive with the vault.sparsebundle and the Knox beach ball is back and the file can't be opened.

I hereby withdraw my participation from this forum, as it is useless at this point to expect solutions this way, other than random guesses and try-this, try-that suggestions. If AWS has real answers I'm sure they know how to contact their Knox customers, but so far their silence has been deafening.
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Well, I am sorry to see you go.

I personally have never experienced the beach ball as you do. If it happens to come up its only because of cpu intensive tasks being preformed on my end. I returned home this week and checked my istat menus on my imac to find out why it was so sluggish over my vpn etc.

Anyway istat immediately notified my that one of my printer bonjour services was pegging the cpu usage at 100%, it was also causing disruptions with my network names etc for my lan sharing at home.

I downloaded an update to the software and the imac returned to a very peaceful cpu usage, a 3 minute and 1 reboot fix.

My point is I opted into helping them find out what the problem was when installing the app and allow there app to collect data as need to fix problems, did my particular mac send in the needed info I will never know. When I allow my macs to run computational apps searching for the cure for cancer will I ever know if it solved the riddle. No I want know, but I rest assured that my contribution will help people in the future my kids maybe and so forth.

As the saying goes knowledge is power and I have learned a tremendous amount from my time here. Its not really a bad place to be.

Every software mfg from Microsoft to Apple to Google has forums where people go to discuss issues. Simply just going away would not seem to be the answer to the question. But the choice is yours as we cannot mandate participation. You are free to return to the forums if you so choose and we welcome you back at any time.

Edit:

If you truly feel that knox was not worth the purchase then send the team an email > support at agile.ws < and see what they can do for you. I will not promise a refund as they offer a 30 day trial but you are welcome to plead your case to them.

Edit 2 Back during one of the leopard updates I had to visit and search the apple forums to find out why a printer wouldn't install or print on my mac, did apple send me an email... no way they issued a bulletin but how would I have know about it without visiting there forums. Maybe google but maybe not.

Thanks for taking the time to listen