This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox's manual online?

knouse
knouse Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Ie Knox's manual is available online? I'd like to look through it before I download the trial.

Comments

• rednoser
    rednoser Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [url]http://help.agile.ws/Knox/index.html[/url]
  • macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for posting the link rednoser. That's a good idea you have....maybe we can do a community project and you guys can help us write it ;)

Seriously, though, most of you know we just recently acquired Knox. We're working on getting documentation out there for you. For now, we have the basic manual, akin to a Getting Started guide. It isn't meant to be all-inclusive, just to get you up and running. Thanks for your patience while we work on it. If you have any suggestions, questions, feedback, anything you'd like to see, etc., please let us know.
  • rednoser
    rednoser Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for your witty response.

I don't know when exactly companies decided to let their paying customers do all the hard work of troubleshooting products, but it's now common practice and I'm sick of it.

The geek mindset where every computer user is regarded some sort of overenthusiastic hobbyist with plenty of time and an innate drive to endlessly tinker with apps is one that neglects to understand that there are people whose livelyhood and very existence depends on products simply doing what they're supposed to do out of the box.

If your product isn't ready to go mainstream it should be free. Perhaps that's a "fair" exchange for the early adopters whom you see as geeks, and certainly not as people with practical needs. A 50% discount for something that doesn't even begin to approach the level of sophistication of 1Password, which is a big favorite I never fail to recommend, is an insult if the software doesn't work.

It doesn't.

I'm frustrated that after installing Knox the drive that I want to reformat as a whole vault appears grayed out in the dropdown menu labeled "Reformat a Volume as a Vault."

It frustrates me that after 3 days my forum post about that has been looked at more than 28 times, but no one has replied to it.

It frustrates me that there's no manual online to speak of and that the "Tutorial" section has only one entry, labeled, "How to turn a whole-disk vault back into a regular hard drive or USB stick" when I can't even turn my disk into a whole-disk vault.

It frustrates me that I have to dig through a forum and explore other users comments to see if my problem equals someone elese's.

It frustrates me that double clicking the sparsebundle results in nothing happening.

It frustrates me that I can't tell a client that the drive that holds their files takes a whopping 22 minutes to pop up the Knox authentication box.

It frustrates me that I'm sitting here now typing this, helping you doing your work while you don't give a damn about mine, or my time.

Your very loyal 1Password and greatly disappointed Knox customer
  • knouse
    knouse Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Rednoser: You've convinced me to not download the 30 day trial. I will only use vaults to store important, sensitive files. I can to that with password protected DMG files using Disk Utility. It seems Knox is currently an alpha version that would not be ready for prime time in 30 days.
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited June 2010
    @rednoser

I have known Cindy but a short time but I can already tell you that her remarks were intended as friendly and most likely she was hoping for you to sign on and be a part of this new project of Agile's.

You mention that your post was 3 days old and viewed 28 times, well from my point of view and I was one of those viewing your post, you were simply giving an answer to knouse. I read your reply and personally I took it as a jest in that it wasn't quite ready yet, but you gave knouse the info anyway. However I urge you to remember that it doesn't mean viewed by the staff or the moderators. Any forum user may have viewed the thread. There a quite a number of users who come by daily and read all the posts, some are vocal some are not. They come and go like the still of the night this also bumps up the views as I am sure you know.

I can assure you had you posed a question then it would have been responded to.

However Knox was just purchased by Agile and it was sold for a good while by the previous developer. There are bound to be a few kinks along the way, especially during the transition period. We welcome you to help us iron out some of the kinks. I have been using Knox for well over a year and it serves me very well. Although it sounds like you are using it in maybe a business sense, when I store my families' personal, financial, and tax data.

Fist off I have never seen the type of time delay you specify about a password dialogue box, would you maybe share some info about your setup? Please include any additional info you feel may be relevant to your situation.

[B][SIZE="4"]Edit[/SIZE][/B] I see you have posted some information in this thread thank you I am just trying to link them all together so its easier for the team to follow.

[url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?24573-Knox-or-Where-Beach-Ball-Meets-Pizza[/url]

Was the vault created with Knox ?

What OS are you running ?

Is the drive a mountable drive, to this I assume yes, since you most likely would want to separate clients file from your own. y/n ?

You state you cant turn your disk into a vault are you referring to the OS/boot disk or a separate disk. When I start to use the reformat option I do see all 8 of my external drives listed they include firewire and usb.

One interesting note I wanted to bring up OSX obviously locks it drive but there are another 2 drives (on my mac) listed, that are grayed out and they are listed as ex Clone Drive, and Clone Drive-1 because I renamed it Clones. For some reason OSX has still retained the old drive names, could this possible be the same thing you are experiencing.

As for double clicking the sparse bundle it should automatically try to open with Knox, I frequently do this when I don't have Knox running. Doing so launches Knox and I am prompted for my password.

I am not sure whats going on but we welcome the opportunity to try and help you find the answers. Please feel free to write back. I am just a lowly moderator who helps fix things when I can but I assure you I/Agile values your time, your work and your opinion. I am writing this reply after a 16 hour work day at my normal job. (I mention this just to show how much I believe in Knox)

On a side note there really was never much documentation available from the time I started using Knox. It was frustrating to me as well. So on this note you are not alone. Things will get better now that its in Agile's hands.

With your help and others Knox will grow to impress you like 1password just give us a bit. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read my reply, I/we look forward to more discussion.