This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Two level protection on the iPad

AlecEdworthy
AlecEdworthy Junior Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
With 1Password on the iPhone you get a two level lock, the first level being the 4 digit unlock code and the second level being the master password. However on the iPad, even with the Pro version which is advertised as having "Two-layer defense with Unlock Code and Master Password to combine security and convenience", there is only the master password. Is this deliberate and is there any way to bring the two level security to the iPad please?

Thanks, Alec

Comments

• mtehonica
    mtehonica Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I think the "Unlock Code" they are referring to is the built-in iPad lock code. Using that in conjunction with the 1Password Master Password gives two layer security.
  • AlecEdworthy
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='mtehonica']I think the "Unlock Code" they are referring to is the built-in iPad lock code. Using that in conjunction with the 1Password Master Password gives two layer security.[/QUOTE]

If that is the case then it is still different to how the iPhone works then as it would have three levels of protection (device's lock code, 1Password's unlock code and then the master password too! Is there a way to configure an unlock code within 1Password as well as the master password?

Alec
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Hi AlecEdworthy

When we were developing the iPhone / iPod Touch version of 1Password we realised that users more than likely wouldn't want to type their complex master password every time they wanted to open the app or get a list of their logins, so we implemented the 4-digit unlock code to make it possible to open the app and get basic access with just the unlock code. Most users have their logins protected by the master password as well, but for some non-sensitive logins they can disable this and just use the unlock code.

When it came to building the iPad version we knew that the iPad's keyboard was going to be much better for inputting a master password, and so we made the decision to go with a single point of unlock, like we have with the Mac version, because it's much easier to type a complex master password on the iPad's keyboard, believe me I've tried it on both!

At the moment we don't have plans to bring the unlock code back to the iPad version of 1Password, but we never say never here at Agile. I hope that helps give you an idea of our design choices on this one.
  • AlecEdworthy
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='stu']At the moment we don't have plans to bring the unlock code back to the iPad version of 1Password, but we never say never here at Agile. I hope that helps give you an idea of our design choices on this one.[/QUOTE]

A brilliant answer, thank you very much. I fully agree with your reasoning, I just wanted to check it wasn't an oversight.

Thanks, Alec

P.S. Don't suppose you could shed some light on my other support query could you please? It's over at,

[URL="http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?24542-Backup-Restore-between-iPhone-and-iPad-with-1Password-Pro"]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?24542-Backup-Restore-between-iPhone-and-iPad-with-1Password-Pro[/URL]