This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

AGDatabaseError - can't save changes in 1Password

I've been using a single 1Password db with three local users and I'm suddenly running into a problem. 1Password won't allow any of the local users to save changes. The following error pops up whenever I try to edit then save an item (I've replaced my info with "BLAH"):

[b]-----[/b]

[b]AGDatabaseError[/b]

[b]Exception: Failed to save the object [BLAH/BLAH]: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=BLAH "You don’t have permission to save the file “BLAH.1password” in the folder “default”." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied")[/b]

[b]-----[/b]

Thinking that this might be caused by file permission issues, I've searched the forums, repaired permissions on my Mac, and followed the instructions at http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/sharing_locally.html ...no luck. Are there files in other locations (Applications folder, etc.) that I should be setting/adjusting permissions on? I seem to remember doing that during the initial install but now I can't find that documentation anywhere.

Thanks,

a1lawng

Comments

• Where do you have your 1Password.agilekeychain file stored at the moment?

This is definitely a permissions issue, but our 'Reset Folder Permissions' tool will only repair things in the default location.
  • [quote name='stu' timestamp='1313260637' post='39038']

Where do you have your 1Password.agilekeychain file stored at the moment?

This is definitely a permissions issue, but our 'Reset Folder Permissions' tool will only repair things in the default location.

[/quote]

It's in /Users/Shared/1Password
  • Stu, I tried using Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions and I still get the AGDatabaseError message when trying to save an entry in 1Password.

Also, I'm using Version 3.7.5 (build 31106).
  • Yes, the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions won't help in this situation since the data file is not in the default location.

The guide you were following is something we've since removed from the links in our documentation, for exactly this reason, it just causes too many permissions issues and so we no longer recommend storing your data file in a shared location.

In all honesty, the best option is to use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data between multiple accounts on the same system, it takes permissions out of the equation because Dropbox handles the syncing of the files to each user account. Here's the details on how to set this up:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/configure_dropbox_on_mac.html

Of course, that won't help fix the current situation as we need to repair the file permissions first. If you right-click your 1Password.agilekeychain file in the Shared folder and select 'Get Info' can you see what the permissions are currently set at?

Please let me know,
  • sandlog
    sandlog Junior Member
    i'm having the same issue after a computer upgrade.

i just wiped my computer clean and installed Lion fresh.

I then downloaded the latest version of 1pw and tried to point it to my existing file (agilekeychain) in dropbox.

won't open it. get the same error message as this thread?

what am i missing here?
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited August 2011
    First, [b]quit 1Password and your browsers[/b].

Next, please right-click on your 1Password.agilekeychain data file and select "Show Package Contents" form the contextual menu.

Navigate to the "data" folder inside 1Password.agilekeychain and then right-click the "default" folder and select "Get Info". You should now see the following "default Info" window:

[img]https://img.skitch.com/20110815-nqd3cpc6d2wr69cmcsbspytd5w.png[/img]

(1) Click the lock in the bottom right corner and enter your OS X login password to be able to make changes.

(2) Make sure that the "Privilege" for your user account is set to "Read & Write" as shown in the screenshot.

(3) Then click the gear icon at the bottom and select "Apply to enclosed items".

Close the "default Info" window.

Open 1Password and try to create a new item.
  • sandlog
    sandlog Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    ok i did what you said but after looking at my error code more closely it looks like i have the same bold header but a different detail related to the encryption keys. it says

Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist at.....(pointing to the default folder in my dropbox) /1password.keys

like i said i never moved anything. dropbox has been unchanged.

the only thing i did was install a clean version of the Lion OS (i didn't do an upgrade).

and to be more specific that error is being triggered when i go to enter my master password.
  • This usually means that Dropbox has not yet finished syncing, or at least that's the most likely cause, if you click the Dropbox icon in your menu-bar what does it say in regard to syncing?
  • [b]Stu[/b], the permissions for the 1Password.agilekeychain file are set to Read & Write for all local users. I'm not comfortable storing my data file on Dropbox, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

[b]Khad[/b], I've performed this permissions update on the package contents and the enclosed items for the 1Password.agilekeychain file several times. I just tried it again and there's no change...I'm still receiving the error.
  • I've figured it out...

I had permissions for "Everyone" set to Read & Write and I assumed this would really cover all local users. Just for fun I manually added each local user with Read & Write permissions, made sure the permissions cascaded to all package contents, and it's working.

Thanks for the help.
  • That's good to hear, a1lawng, and I can certainly understand not wanting to use Dropbox, though do remember that your 1Password data is encrypted, and the data format we've used is designed to withstand attack regardless of where it's being stored.
  • sandlog
    sandlog Junior Member
    i'm still not having any luck. dropbox says all files are up to date.

i even tried copying the keychain file locally to my documents and checking the permissions by showing package contents.

when i copy it locally it doesn't even like the file. it says no data found - please select the existing .agilekeychain. but the file is clearly 400+k - it's not zero.

this is driving me crazy because all my logins are in this file.

i thought this was going to be painless after a rebuild because i use dropbox???

can you please advise on what else i can do?
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi sandlog,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Are there any computers or devices that 1Password IS working on, using Dropbox?

Please let me know. Thanks.
  • I'm having the same problem and I have tried everything above but nothing has worked. I sync with dropbox and I am using the newest version of 1password for mac lion.
  • just to clarify, this is the exact error i got: Exception: Failed to save the object [Comcast/E8660C5D97AD436C8A3D8540040068DA]: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “E8660C5D97AD436C8A3D8540040068DA.1password” in the folder “default”." UserInfo=0x10379ab50 {NSFilePath=/Users/laskz10/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/E8660C5D97AD436C8A3D8540040068DA.1password, NSUnderlyingError=0x1079f0c00 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied"}
  • Sorry for the delayed reply, cracked17,

If you right-click your 1Password.agilekeychain file within Dropbox and select 'Get Info' can you you check what the permissions are set as at the bottom of the pane?