This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Feature Request: Displaying Passwords Using QR Codes

Hey All,

Submitting a feature request that would help me out in some use cases. I have multiple accounts on multiple laptops (think work & personal lappy, with different types of accounts). I use 1Password between these and my iPhone, but only sync between my personal lappy with AccountA and my iPhone. If I'm on the work lappy or using some other account on the personal lappy && I have to share a password, I usually transmit it manually.

What I've done is to use a local QR code app, scan it in on the iPhone, copy out of iPhone app, and then save into 1Password. The main security issue for me is that I'm 99% positive the apps aren't clearing out their memory or any on-disk storage of the QR code, potentially exposing the password. What I'm requesting is to see if 1Password would integrate some of the QR codes out there and securely do this (e.g. don't store the image on the iPhone, just in memory; zero out the memory after use, etc.). Game?

Comments

• It's certainly an interesting idea, cykyc, I'll grant you that and I'll gladly pass it on to our developers, but I'm honestly not sure if it's something we'll add to 1Password.

What we are considering, though, is a way to easily share items across multiple installs of 1Password. I don't have a timeframe for when this may be, but one of our primary goals would be to ensure that this sharing is secure and easy to use for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion, we appreciate every bit of feedback.
  • [quote name='stu' timestamp='1313256924' post='39026']

It's certainly an interesting idea, cykyc, I'll grant you that and I'll gladly pass it on to our developers, but I'm honestly not sure if it's something we'll add to 1Password.

What we are considering, though, is a way to easily share items across multiple installs of 1Password. I don't have a timeframe for when this may be, but one of our primary goals would be to ensure that this sharing is secure and easy to use for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion, we appreciate every bit of feedback.

[/quote]

Thanks for the consideration. I realized I posted this to the wrong topic. I was thinking more about iPhone usage, perhaps taking a picture from the 1Password program running on the laptop.
  • You're welcome, and please don't misunderstand, I love the idea myself, but our developers are human beings (I'm not sure I'd want to work for Cylons, my name isn't Gaius Baltar) and so they do have constraints such as sleep requirements that mean we can't add every feature we get a suggestion for, which would probably be a bad idea anyway, feature bloat is one of the most dangerous things for app developers.