This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1password frustration with Safari 5 continues

On the Agile Website claims for customers NOT TO WORRY as 1password works with OS X Lion and Safari 5.....

FACT....the 1password extension does not work in LION. When you install the extension, per the instructions given, it installs and then it disappears from Safari's toolbar the next time a webpage is opened. Firefox it doesn't' even install at all....

Why is Agile misleading paying customers that 1password works with Apple Lion, when it clearly does not??? I have followed the instructions about 50+ times now and same exact issue over and over again.

PLEASE, PLEASE......at least be honest with customers that it is faulty because it is indicated that all is working when it is clearly not. Just Google "`1password and apple lion" and it is evidently false statement.

SO....WHAT IS THE REAL DEAL HERE?

WE KNOW THAT 1PASSWORD STILL NOT LION COMPATIBLE....SO WHEN WILL IT BE OR DO YOU PLAN ON LEAVING IT BROKEN WHILE MAKING CUSTOMERS BELIEVE THEY ARE PURCHASING A RELIABLE PRODUCT, AND THAT IT WORKS THAT SAME AS IT DID ON SNOW LEOPARD??

PLEASE RESPOND...I ATTEMPTED TO CONTACT AGILE BITS AND THAT DOESN'T WORK EITHER. ONLY TOLD THAT IT WILL TAKE 7+ DAYS TO MAYBE GET A RESPONSE.

SO PISSED OFF....

Comments

• katec,

I'm really sorry you're frustrated, nothing is more annoying when application that should work doesn't. The fact is that 1Password does work with Lion and both Safari 5.1 and Firefox 5 (support for Firefox 6 is in Beta right now).

How do I know that? Well, I'm using Lion right now and have been logging into various sites today with Safari 5.1. This isn't using a secret internal build that's been tweaked, I'm using our latest public Beta for testing Firefox support, but we've heard from many users who tell us things are working just fine with Safari 5.1 with 1Password 3.7.5 and our latest Safari extension.

We want to do the best to help you, but we can only do that if you can tell us a bit more about what you're seeing. The first thing I need to ask is which version of 1Password you have installed, you can check this by opening 1Password and going to 1Password > About 1Password.
  • Thank you for your quick response...just frustrated.

The version I am using is:

Version 3.7.5 (build 31106)
  • It's ok, we really do understand, the transition to the new extension has taken us some time here and we know there are a lot of changes.

So, you have the latest version of 1Password installed, which is great. The next question is what you see when you open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, ideally you should see the 1Password extension loaded with a version of 3.7.
  • Initially after I install the extension through 1password>preferences the 1P is in the toolbar and it works fine.....UNTIL I open another new window or close out of safari and reopen later. The 1P extension is gone from the toolbar and in Safari extensions.....so the process starts all over I have to open 1password....login....go to preferences...reinstall the Safari extension and then it disappears again if I open another new window or close out of safari and reopen later.

It has been two weeks and I was so patient because I know LION was new but AGILE BITS states that it works with Safari and FIrefox and ion Lion and it does not work with either one.

This is a HUGE problem.....[color=#ff0000][b][url="http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=1password+safari+5.1+extension&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8"]click here[/url][/b][/color] to see search results from Google when searching [size=4][b]1password safari extension [/b]and you will see the results. That is not even using negative terms in the search.[/size]
  • I understand your frustration, let me say again that this should be working, but clearly something else is going wrong that's effectively removing the 1Password Safari extension on each relaunch, as once it's installed it should stay installed.

Let's try another way to install the extension into Safari, if you [url="http://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/ext/1Password.safariextz"]download this file[/url] which is the actual extension itself and then double-click this Safari should prompt you to install the extension. Then use Command + Option + Q to restart Safari and all being well the extension should stay in place.

If it doesn't, can I ask if you have any anti-virus or system cleaner tools like MacKeeper installed?

You also mentioned Firefox wasn't working either, can you go to Firefox > About Firefox and tell me the version you have installed, 1Password 3.7.5 supports Firefox 4.x and 5.x right now, support for the older Firefox 3.x is no longer available.

We'll get you up and running, please do be patient with us though.
  • I am using Firefox 5.0.1.

And I did have Mackeeper on my mac but I uninstalled it because I hated it recently, but why would that interfere it never did before Apple Lion???

Also, what do you mean by system cleaner?? I have CleanMyMac but it only runs when I open it and run it.
  • FYI...the extension will not even install in FF.

I did what you directed with safari and it installed and I pressed Command + Option + Q....this closed Safari and when I reopened it the 1P was gone again from the toolbar.

This seems to be a common issue, don't you think???? It is all over this forum and the internet....so maybe it is a bigger deal that might need to be updated with so many complaints.
  • Another hater here... I'm using Safari 5.1 / 10.6.8 and 1PW 3.7.5 What I really don't like is the new pop up/plug-in in Safari. I thought it would just take time to get used to but it's much harder now to find my logins and sometimes, they just don't work. (ie Google Apps) -- The older [i]hierarchical menus[/i] was grand because I had everything grouped and I could just slide down to the group and then over to the login, BOOM, I was in. Now I have to click and search and...
  • [quote name='katec' timestamp='1313446150' post='39456']

FYI...the extension will not even install in FF.[/quote]

[quote]I did what you directed with safari and it installed and I pressed Command + Option + Q....this closed Safari and when I reopened it the 1P was gone again from the toolbar.[/quote]

Given these circumstances, there's something else going on here, CleanMyMac could well be the cause, these tools show no prejudice when deleting what they think are junk files, and if I remember correctly CleanMyMac does run in the background too.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email addressed to support@agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can "connect the dots.". We'll try to get back to you on this as quickly as possible as we know you're frustrated but what's happening here is beyond unusual.

[quote]This seems to be a common issue, don't you think????[/quote]

Your issue is very different from what other users are seeing, I don't think I've yet to see someone actually have the Safari extension completely removed after each Safari restart.
  • [quote name='kthomas' timestamp='1313446392' post='39458']

I thought it would just take time to get used to but it's much harder now to find my logins and sometimes, they just don't work. (ie Google Apps)[/quote]

We've been working hard to improve the new extension, have you taken a look at our new [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/safari_intro.html"]introduction[/url] and [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/3_minute_expert_new.html"]'3 Minute Expert' guide[/url] to the new extension?

I too use many Google Apps accounts and I've had no issues with 1Password filling these for me, so if you can tell us a bit more about what's happening in your case it would help us to solve issues.

[quote]The older [i]hierarchical menus[/i] was grand because I had everything grouped and I could just slide down to the group and then over to the login, BOOM, I was in. Now I have to click and search and...[/quote]

The old style hierarchical menus were indeed easier for some users, but the reality is that these are no longer supported in the Safari 5.1 extensions framework, so we've had to push forward with the new extension.
  • katec,

I just had a quick brainstorm with the team in our virtual lounge and we may have a solution to this. Extensions being removed after a Safari restart, and I'm guessing this would happen to other Safari 5.1 extensions too, is more than likely due to a corrupted Safari preference file, which is obviously beyond our control.

You can reset this, but it will clear any bookmarks and top-sites you have setup, but if the preference file is corrupted then it may be the only option.

To locate this file please open a Finder window and go to Go > Go To Folder and enter the following path

[code]~/Library/Preferences[/code]

You'll see quite a few files there, the one you're looking for is [b]com.apple.Safari.plist[/b]. Make sure you've quit Safari before moving this file to your desktop, just so there's a backup in case this doesn't work, and then relaunch Safari.

The final step is to install the 1Password extension again, ideally using the link I provided above, and once again restart Safari. All being well this should resolve the issue for you.