This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox, or Where Beach Ball Meets Pizza...

rednoser
rednoser Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Before buying Knox, I recommend reading the posts in this forum. I didn't and paid Agile for Knox, because I have had a great user experience with 1 Password.

For installing Knox, see the User Guide posted at [url]http://help.agile.ws/Knox/index.html[/url] and good luck to you as you will be the one helping write it.

After I installed Knox and was unable to have it format my external disk as a whole-disk vault (Knox didn't see it and I posted an as yet unreplied post at [url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?24532-Knox-shows-external-disk-I-want-to-reformat-as-grayed-out[/url]) I decided to create a vault on the disk instead, which was not why I had purchased Knox, but I needed to protect important files that would be traveling with me.

No other apps were running, except Drobo Dashboard, as the source files had to be transferred from a Drobo drive.

During the file transfer Knox stopped working. I waited for an hour, hoping it would resume, but whenever I guided the cursor over the Knox menu icon it turned into the dreaded Beach Ball. Knox was knocked out flat.

I restarted several times, but after experiencing extreme lag times opening the vault sparsebundle I decided to attach the disk with the vault to a different current Mac running the latest Snow and Knox.

It confirmed that in all scenarios the time for the vault's authentication window to appear is 22 minutes. The time it takes the password area to become "live" so that one can begin typing is 12 minutes. That is the same time it takes if you have set to automatically open the vault.

Once open, file transfer resumed, Knox again goes into frozen pizza mode. Mission aborted. Time wasted on forum, restarts, and Macs unable to perform other duties: 6-8 hours, not counting the file transfer times...

Meanwhile, I've had a smug reply to my own reply to a potential customer's question if the Knox manual is online ([url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?24537-Knox-s-manual-online[/url]) and from reading the forum posts I'm beginning to see a cavalier attitude from the Knox staff that borders on ineptitude and sounds even self congratulatory, especially where a mention is made of Agile's generosity in extending a 50% discount for an app that is obviously not ready to be released and is giving its users headaches from the first post to the last.

Now, I'm not hostile to Agile, as I simply love 1Password on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac, but Knox needs to be withdrawn, customers compensated, and re-released once the many kinks have been worked out. As it is, it's a bag of hurt.

After seeing so many pizza I'm ready for one...

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    I'm very sorry that your experiences with Knox haven't been satisfactory. We'll be the first to admit that we know less about the inner workings of Knox than that of 1Password. We take our role as support of all our products very seriously and make every effort to look into complaints of "bad behavior", crashes or just "I'd like it to do X".

In your specific case, you said that Knox had a problem while copying files? What files are you referring to? Did it successfully build the (sparse bundle I presume: the 10.5+ compatible default) vault and mount it? Knox is not involved with file transfers into or out of any mounted vaults: that's left completely up to OS X. It does sound like Knox got way too busy doing *something*... resulting in it hanging. We'd need to get some information from you if we're going to look further into that condition. It's not something that's happening to all Knox users or the forums would be lit up even more than they are. Could you please email us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] using Mail so we can tell you what information we would find most useful for your report?

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

We didn't get any starting support "documents" when we acquired Knox so we're having to produce them as time permits. I'm sorry that it's taking so long but we're trying to listen to what problems seem to be most needed and do them first rather than sit down and just write a guide from beginning to end.