This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Saving filled forms? (Forms with no Username or Password)

With the new Firefox extension (for Firefox 6) it seems the functionality to save forms with details other than Username and Password has been taken away, is this right?

When I click on the '+' in the corner to manually save a form the only fields that are listed are Title, URL, Username, Password and Notes.

Aswell as using 1Password to save logins I also use it to save a lot of forms so that all my details are filled in (for times when 1Password wasn't filling the identity fields properly and I had to change it everytime, for example an address box only filling in the first line of address when I needed the full address in the box) and also so that I don't need to tick the checkboxes everytime as I use the same type of forms a lot so it all takes extra time. Some of my pre-saved forms fill automatically using cmd-\, some don't fill in everything they should and others don't fill at all now. Sometimes the extension box opens when pressing cmd-\ even if the form fills without needing the extension box open and other times it doesn't open at all even if it needs to because nothing has filled in and I need to click on the identity button, it all seems very hit and miss at the moment.

I also used the cmd-ctrl-1 (I think that's what it was I just did it without thinking about it as I used it so often so can't remember exactly which buttons now) to fill a form with identity details, will this be back as it takes a lot longer to do this now and the Firefox 6 extension freezes everything for between 3-10 seconds each time I open it using either the 1P button or cmd-\?

Will any or all of this functionality be back at some point?

If not then I've got to admit I'm very disappointed as it becomes far less useful to me than it was previously which seems a bit of a backwards step.

Apologies if any or all of this has already been covered somewhere else, I've had a good look but I couldn't see anything, but that's not to say it's not there somewhere and I've just not been able to find it.

Also When I registered for the forum I wasn't asked automatically if I wanted to save my login. Do I have to change a setting somewhere to do this?

Here's what I'm using if it's of any help:

Mac OS X 10.6.8

1Password 3.8.1 (build 31115)

Firefox 6 extension 3.8.1.b1

Thanks

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi bargainhuntergal,

We're aware of the fact that the new extension does not yet save details other than username/password details and we are looking into that.

As for logins that used to work and now do not, please try saving the login manually like this:

1. Enter your username and password, but DO NOT submit the form.

2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.

3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).

4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

The same steps should work as well for logins that do not prompt you to automatically save them.

We did not have as much time as we would have liked to get the new extensions for Safari 5.1 / Firefox 6 our the door. We are working very hard to get them up to speed with the previous extensions, but we felt it was better to have what we have working in those browsers, rather than nothing at all.
  • bargainhuntergal
    edited August 2011
    Thank you for the reply.

I've reverted back to Firefox 5 and the old extension at least for the time being, as I was finding the Firefox 6 version quite unusable, which isn't ideal as I no longer have the new Firefox security updates, but I couldn't carry on with struggling along with the new extension until/if any significant improvements are made.

Not just because of the features that are missing from the Firefox 5 version but because even if they were all working it was still taking me twice as long to do everything because of the freezing/slowdown of my system when the new extension opened up where as the old one would open immediately with no system freeze/slowdown. I'm not sure if this is RAM, CPU or Graphics related so not sure if it would improve when I change from 2GB to 8GB of RAM shortly?

However the majority of the logins that were causing me problems by no longer working were the forms I'd set it to fill which I couldn't re-save because it wasn't saving any of the other details. Most of the sites I was already logged into or didn't mind manually saving the Username/Password again for, it was the forms I could no longer re-save as the functionality was gone.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    It seems odd to be saying so, as I remember when 256MB was the most RAM anyone thought they would ever need, but the memory upgrade may help. Decryption is not a resource friendly process when dealing with large datasets (this is why products such as 1Password on mobile devices are such a challenge).

For anyone else interested in downgrading to Firefox 5, it can be had here:

ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/5.0.1/mac/en-US