This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Keeping 1Password in sync between Mac and Windows

pomme4moi
pomme4moi
edited August 2011 in Mac
[i]Hi. I understand that 1Password stores passwords in a file named [i][b]1Password.agilekeychain[/b][/i][/i][i]. Let's say that I have 1Password installed on a Mac computer and a separate copy of 1Password installed on a Windows [/i][i]computer. Can I keep the two [i][i][b]1Password.agilekeychain [/b][/i][/i]files in sync via the following manual process?[/i]

[i]1. Insert a USB thumb drive into the Mac computer[/i]

[i]2. Copy the [/i][i][b]1Password.agilekeychain[/b][/i][i]file on the Mac computer to the USB thumb drive[/i]

[i]3. Insert the USB thumb drive into the Windows computer[/i]

[i]4. [i]Copy the [/i][i][b]1Password.agilekeychain[/b][/i][i]file from the USB thumb drive to the Windows computer[/i][/i]

Will the Windows version of 1Password read the Mac-generated version of the [i][i][b]1Password.agilekeychain [/b][/i][/i]file and vice versa?

[i]Pls note that I do not want to use Dropbox or any cloud storage solution.[/i]

[i]Thank you[/i]

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi pomme4moi

It is possible to move your 1Password data between your Mac and Windows computer in this fashion (but do not simply double click on the 1Password.agilekeychain file on the flash drive, make sure you copy it to the hard drive FIRST). Not though that this is not a sync. The data will not be merged, it will be overwritten. So if for example:

1) You open up 1Password for Mac and make some changes

2) Then you go to 1Password for Windows and make some changes, copy your AK file to a flash drive, and take it to the Mac

3) When you copy the AK off the flash drive onto the Mac, you'll lose the changes you made in step 1.

Just something to be aware of. Really the best solution is Dropbox.

Ben