This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Firefox 6 vs. Firefox 5: Why is the functionality different?

2 problems

1) IPassword no longer fills pop up log in boxes on FF6..works on Safari

2)No longer able to manage browsers under Preferences..the installed browsers are not recognised/do not show up

Comments

• 1Password was a great app - I used it extensively on my Mac and iPhone.

Suddenly, it has become so much less useful. the drop down menu from the browser button may look pretty, but you have to work out what each of the logos means - and none of them mean 'launch 1Password' which is no longer an option.

The secure area to my own website, which is controlled by a .htaccess secure area no longer gets filled in by 1password.

The very easy route to getting to 'go and fill in' is now less smooth and intuitive.

The earlier version I recommended to my tech-averse friend, telling her that it would not be confusing, and it would help her problem remembering her logins so she could stop doing the very unsafe thing of using the same password for multiple sites. I would not recommend the current version to a person in a similar position, because they would just get confused and frustrated.

That's my feedback - which I was frustrated enough about to register for the forum just to be able to let you know! Do with it what you wish ...
  • argonstudios
    argonstudios Junior Member
    I agree with mallenbaker.

[list=1]

[*]My 1Click doesn't work anymore.

[*]Fill and submit in Firefox doesn't work anymore (Firefox 6)

[*]All around the app is clunky now with the update. Toolbar IMHO was much better and seemed to be a better workflow in my opinion

[/list]

Can we get the option for the toolbar back or is it somewhere that I cannot see?
  • +1

The grapic interface is horrible. I will quit 1password with no dropdown.
  • highrockmedia
    highrockmedia Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    Confirmed, the latest update of 1Password (3.8.1) no longer works with htaccess screens (Firefox 6.0). It's useless to me without this functionality that it had only a few days ago.
  • highrockmedia
    edited August 2011
    (Attaching screen capture)
  • I 2nd the motion. I'm wondering if I need to start looking for another tool.

Agilebits / 1Password - you had a great product, but you've over-engineered it like Microsoft and Adobe do with all of their products. Please give us an option to migrate backwards to previous versions.
  • highrockmedia
    [quote name='maxster' timestamp='1313997366' post='41417']

2 problems

1) IPassword no longer fills pop up log in boxes on FF6..works on Safari

2)No longer able to manage browsers under Preferences..the installed browsers are not recognised/do not show up

[/quote]

I believe this is related to this:

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/7300-what-happened-so-much-less-useful/page__view__findpost__p__41499
  • highrockmedia
    [quote name='sepro' timestamp='1314026179' post='41504']

I 2nd the motion. I'm wondering if I need to start looking for another tool.

Agilebits / 1Password - you had a great product, but you've over-engineered it like Microsoft and Adobe do with all of their products. Please give us an option to migrate backwards to previous versions.

[/quote]

Agreed, as I have always learned, "If it 'ain't broke, don't fix it".
  • I'm having the exact same issue as shown in the screen shot. Any solutions posted yet?
  • I'm having the same problems with pop up boxes with Firefox -- my browser of choice -- and 1Password does not autosubmit either. Agile, you have to get on this asap! Your quality control department needs a makeover.
  • Completely agree. The loss of the toolbar is a major step back. The drop down menu no longer actually launches 1P and the logo crap is just hard to remember.
  • Once more: The url filter using escape sequences like * are no more working. Like '*.mydomain.com'. That was a very important feature - think not only for me.
  • I agree. After the update I can no longer save new logins, some passwords no longer work (like htaccess above), etc. The AgileBits suggest to revert back to Firefox 5.0.1. Well, I tried that but only the FireFox 6.0+ extension can be downloaded... Aarch!!

I'm one small step to switching back to RoboForm, which works far better in Windows but not so well in Mac. That's why I switched to 1Password.

1Password team: fix this soon (like in one day), or I'm gone.
  • cyoungmann
    cyoungmann Junior Member
    The user experience of 1Password used to be very smooth. Now, I have people I support all reporting very odd behavior. Check this stuff out in Beta before dropping it on us, Please.
  • As a long term 1Password supporter and promoter I can't help but feel frustrated and let down by the new Safari extension. To date, not a day has gone by without seeing the 'Problem with Database' error. Restarting the browser does not work (and yes, I've updated both the extension and the app). Keyboard shortcut commands don't work reliably. Form completion is probably at its all time low.

Aaaaaaaaargh!
  • macleo538
    macleo538 Junior Member
    Same situation here, I wish I never updated 1P and I'd like to go back to Snow Leopard. I am so frustrated than I might just start using just my memory for my logins.

I don't want my money back I just one a 1Password that "just works"

I wonder if Agilebits hired Microsoft enginiers?!
  • highrockmedia
    edited August 2011
    This just in from Agilebits tech support via email:

[quote][i]This is a known issue with Firefox 6 and Safari 5.1. Mozilla and Apple no longer provide APIs for us to use to interface with these type of logins. We are investigating a work-around but at the present time the best we can offer is to copy and paste from the main 1Password application.[/i][/quote]
  • [size=6][color=#FF0000][b]Same here![/b][/color][/size]

It was even a pain in the a-word to subscribe and log in this forum. Guess with what app? An app I could easily log to almost any site with a simple right click. Oh I forgot: in the past.

Dear developers, do a lean coding instead of gimmicks like the new UI! Like this I feel like using KeePass on my Win 7 at work.
  • Just to confirm - FF6 extension on 1P 3.8.1 doesn't work on HTTP Basic auth forms. Neither the regular FF6 extension, nor today's (20110822) Beta.
  • Same here, Can I get the OLD 1Password back? I mean seriously! On Firefox it lost both the Toolbar and the Right Click to fill-up password, the new "1Password Chrome" like addon is a pure pain in the XXX
  • The Firefox add-on we had with Firefox 5 and below is based on older technology that just is not practical to use with Firefox 6 and beyond, when we're seeing new major releases of Firefox every 6 weeks. The old add-on had to be re-built for each new version of Firefox, if we continue to do that we'll never be able to move forward with new features as we'll effectively be held hostage to Firefox, that's just not the right solution.

The new add-on is using what Mozilla call JetPack, it's a native JavaScript extensions framework very similar to the frameworks in Safari 5.1 and Chrome, that gives us a huge advantage because it means we can use pretty much the same code across all 3 browsers, which in turn means that fixes for form-filling issues, new features and more can be rolled out at the same time.

The more important aspect for Firefox users is that this new add-on can already be installed in the Beta, Aurora and Nightly builds of Firefox, and from what we can tell there are no major differences in how the add-on functions across all the builds.

That brings me on to functionality, we know some areas need either improvement or to be actually be implemented, such as auto-save and right-click menus. Our developers are working on this as we speak, but they are only human so they need things like sleep, food and drink, but rest assured they are working to give you all the best experience with 1Password in Firefox 6 and beyond.

Let me address a few points that have been raised though:

[b]HTTP Authentication Support[/b]

I understand there are many tools that people use on a daily basis that require this form of login, and while it is an older technology that may have potential security issues, it is still widely used. We by no means intentionally removed this, but the new frameworks we're using in Firefox don't give us direct access to these prompts.

We're looking into some solutions for how we can handle these prompts, ideally something that can work in all browsers (Safari and Chrome have no APIs at all for HTTP Auth. support) rather than just putting a band-aid in place for Firefox. I know it's hard to be patient on this, but please know we don't like this situation any more than you do, but if we rush things like this it could go badly wrong and I'm sure no-one wants that.

[b]The 1Password Toolbar[/b]

We've had a lot of requests to bring this back, however we want to create the best 1Password experience we can for all our customers, so we're taking these steps toward a uniform extension interface across browsers. Now, instead of focusing on the idiosyncrasies of a particular browser, we can focus on great new features for everyone.

So, while I know it's not the answer some of you want, the toolbar will not be returning to Firefox.

[b]Right-Click Menus[/b]

These should be possible to implement in Firefox, and to a lesser extent Safari and Chrome too, and so they're on our list of features to add, but right now we clearly need to focus on some of the core functionality such as auto-save.

[b]Saving Logins[/b]

Auto-save, as I've mentioned a few times, is currently not functional in Firefox 6, it looks like we need to do a bit more work to get this up and running than we've had to do in Safari and Chrome, but we're hopeful it shouldn't take too much longer

Manual save is possible with the 3.8.1 b1 release of the add-on which is [url="http://agilebits.com/extension/download/Mac/firefox/beta"]available here[/url] and should help resolve a few issues. To save a Login manually, please do the following when you're at the login page for the site in question:

[list=1]

[*] Enter your username and password, but DO NOT submit the form.

[*] Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.

[*] Change the title and make any notes (if desired)

[*] Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

[/list]

I hope that helps to clear things up, please do take a few minutes to have a look at [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/3_minute_expert_new.html"]our guide to the new extension interface[/url] which should help answer a few questions.

We really do appreciate your feedback, positive and negative, and more importantly your patience and understanding. This is a big transition for us all, ideally we'd have had more time with Firefox 6 in Beta to get things perfect, but without trying to cast the blame to Mozilla a 6 week release cycle makes things difficult for us at the best of times.
  • dkendrick
    dkendrick Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    [quote name='stu' timestamp='1314058077' post='41652']

The Firefox add-on we had with Firefox 5 and below is based on older technology that just is not practical to use with Firefox 6 and beyond, when we're seeing new major releases of Firefox every 6 weeks. The old add-on had to be re-built for each new version of Firefox, if we continue to do that we'll never be able to move forward with new ...

[/quote]

Am I mistaken or am I seeing a new build from you guys at least once a month? Guys, you need to figure out how to bring back the old interface. Don't ask your customers to change, they came originally because they liked your product. They will move on when then don't like your product anymore. You are giving them a reason to change. Change is not always good.
  • tomnbelize
    tomnbelize Junior Member
    The only reason I changed to Firefox 6 was because 1Password had an extension for it. If anyone had told me before that most of the stuff that I use would not work anymore then I would not have upgraded.

I do not need Firefox 6 nor do I want to upgrade very often. If an app gives me what I want then I do not need new features. That is called bloatware and is what Microsoft (in my opinion) does. I have used your product for years and would like to continue to use it. I am not trying to figure out how to downgrade to FF5 or 4 and previous 1Password. It would be nice if you could provide a method to do this so that those of us who do not need or want the new interface and less (in my opinion) features can still use your product.
  • [quote name='dkendrick' timestamp='1314205920' post='42179']

Am I mistaken or am I seeing a new build from you guys at least once a month?[/quote]

You're not mistaken, during the transition to the new extensions you'll see new builds more frequently than normal, though we usually do have new updates available on a regular schedule.

[quote]Guys, you need to figure out how to bring back the old interface. Don't ask your customers to change, they came originally because they liked your product.[/quote]

The old interface was never built for Firefox 6 and beyond, so we'd have to stop the work we're doing right now and build the old add-on again for Firefox 6 and then keep rebuilding it for Firefox 7, 8. 9 and so on. As I mentioned, this just isn't practical when we have multiple browsers to support and Mozilla have a 6 week release cycle.

Our focus is on improving the new extension, making sure it's functional and where possible trying to accommodate everyone's feedback. Some things will be possible and just need time to be implemented, other features are either not possible at all, like the toolbar, or would add complexity to our plans to unify the browser experience.

We appreciate people have a choice in password managers, and while we'd love to see everyone use 1Password we know that it may not be the right fit for every single user out there. That's why we've made it as easy as possible to export your data into a standards based plain text file, it's then up to the other applications on how they import that.

[quote name='tomnbelize' timestamp='1314207235' post='42185']

I do not need Firefox 6 nor do I want to upgrade very often.[/quote]

Unfortunately, Mozilla aren't really giving users much choice in this, once Firefox 6 was released Firefox 5 became unsupported with regards to security patches. It is incredibly dangerous to run an unpatched browser, which is why I often yell at my friends who I catch running IE 7 or below, and Mozilla themselves say that users should be running Firefox 6, or more specifically the latest stable version of Firefox.

[quote]It would be nice if you could provide a method to do this so that those of us who do not need or want the new interface and less (in my opinion) features can still use your product.

[/quote]

If you really feel you prefer the old UI then we'd recommend going back to [url="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html"]Firefox 3.6.20[/url] as Firefox 3.6.x is receiving security patches, at least for now, from Mozilla and to help you do this we've made our Firefox 3 add-on available to [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html"]download from our site[/url] along with instructions on how to install it.
  • tomnbelize
    tomnbelize Junior Member
    "Unfortunately, Mozilla aren't really giving users much choice in this, once Firefox 6 was released Firefox 5 became unsupported with regards to security patches. It is incredibly dangerous to run an unpatched browser, which is why I often yell at my friends who I catch running IE 7 or below, and Mozilla themselves say that users should be running Firefox 6, or more specifically the latest stable version of Firefox."

Firefox gives users any choice they want. To say the browser is unpatched is not correct. It is patched up to the last update which has served me so far.. I can make the choice on my own. I appreciate you trying to make the app better but you might want to consider your customers as to what they want. You do not have to continue to put out special versions of 1Password for each new release of FF. Just tell us in advance what you are going to take away or break before we have to make the commitment to change. Then it is our choice and not you trying to force stuff on us.

Thanks I went back to FF3.6.
  • One step forward and ten steps back. 1P used to work flawlessly in the past, but with this new version and FF6, it has become a complete mess. I feel like we're being tugged along with all these upgrades by both Agile and Mozilla whether we like it or not. Luckily I was able to downgrade to FF5 to get all my features back.

This 1P "upgrade" seemed rushed out the door without proper internal testing, and I'm positive I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'll be holding on to FF5 for dear life until 1P gets it right.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    Hi Tom,

[quote name='tomnbelize' timestamp='1314219362' post='42232']

You do not have to continue to put out special versions of 1Password for each new release of FF.[/quote]

At the moment we do. There are too many changes in how Firefox deals with extensions from version to version for us to not change change things with Firefox releases. And there are more changes to the Mozilla extension framework to come.

We are looking to the future. There was no way that we could avoid radical change, although if really pushed we might have been able to delay it for one (or at most two) Firefox releases. But once the change is complete (and FF settles down on its new extension framework) then our extension should work across several versions. You should see this now, in that our extension for FF6 also works in FF7 and FF8. So paraphrasing a US army officer: We had to make a radical change to preserve continuity.

Firefox 5, and other historical versions, are of course available for download. But it is not supported in the sense that there will be no further updates to it (other than Firefox 6, etc). Security problems with FF5 will not be fixed. The only historical version of Firefox that is supported is 3.6. You can read more about this at

[url="https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases"]https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases[/url]

In a perfect world, we would be able to integrate with every version of every browser, supported or otherwise. And once things have settled down, our new Firefox extension should work in a number of Firefox versions from 6 and above. But putting support of 6 and 5 (with their different integration techniques) adds tremendous fragility to the whole thing.

Our new way of integrating with browsers to support their improved security models is also a security improvement. We are now working [i]with[/i] browser sandboxing instead of finding ways around it. Quite correctly the days are numbered for the kinds of techniques that we used in the past. This means fundamental change in how we integrate with browsers. A great deal of that change is good. I love interacting with the new extension, but there are some substantial issues to work out as well.

I miss HTTP Authentication in 1Password as much as anybody. I deal with a fair amount of network gear; so this is something I really feel. We are looking at ways to get this to work in a way that looks forward instead of backwards. We need solutions that will last and that we can build upon. There are some big hurdles, so I don't think we will have HTTP Auth support soon, but you should see rapid improvements in the Firefox extension in other respects.

[quote]

Thanks I went back to FF3.6.

[/quote]

I'm glad you found something that works for you at the moment. I hope that the new extension will meet your needs by the time you have to abandon that approach.

Cheers,

-