This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

First Dropbox Sync Creates Conflicts

I have been a longtime 1Password user and finally moved to Dropbox syncing for all my devices.

When I first synced my iPhone and iPad to Dropbox, it ended up creating quite a few conflicts. I was able to easily resolve the conflicts, but it caused a degree of anxiety.

I would suggest an "only on demand" option for Dropbox syncing on the mobile versions, "overwrite local data with Dropbox data". This would be particularly handy on the first Sync to Dropbox.

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited August 2011
    Hi Plannet, welcome to the forums!

Please don't worry about those conflicts, they are a natural occurrence for many syncing solutions on the market and are not dangerous at all. What is happening is that Dropbox detected two similar items were modified at the same time and it couldn't tell which item was the most recent change, so it picked the item that it thinks is the latest and store the second item as a [i]conflict[/i]. Which means that if the item was the wrong one, you can use the Conflict Resolver to pick the correct one.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting, what do you mean by 'only on demand'? To have Dropbox sync only under your control? If so, this would introduce more complexity to the syncing process. We'll consider this in a future update.

Generally, syncing to new devices at the same time should not cause any issues because it is considered as a one-way sync, there are no changes made on both devices to sync back to Dropbox, so it's strange that it actually created the conflicts on your system. Were you making any changes with 1Password on the computer while you were syncing the devices and also, do you have multiple computers that you were syncing with Dropbox?