This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Missing .sparsebundle -- everything seems lost

Help!!! I (foolishly) was backing up with time machine. I'm not sure if that was the problem, but over the weekend things got crufty. When I opened MacMail I got hundreds of empty messages from no one, then when I tried to open other files they were empty, then all of my 'secure' files couldn't be opened.

Now it seems that my .sparsebundle file is simply missing. I can't find it and searches for .sparsebundle come up blank (except for my initial 'test' file). The same is true of my time machine backups. I can't open Mail, and none of my files that were 'secure' can be opened.

I'm not sure what to do, and am desperate. I have tried downloading and installing another copy of Knox. (I've also cloned my drive just in case of further corruption.) When logged in as root I still can't fine / see the file, and hence can't mount it using disk utility.

HELP!! (I am in big trouble here, having lost YEARS of work and correspondence.)

Thanks,

_Dave

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Dave, welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened.

Beside Time Machine, did you use Knox to backup your vaults to a different location?

In Time Machine, did you go back in time for your Knox documents folder or did you use a different folder?

Please open Terminal.app which is located in your Applications > Utilities folder and type or paste in the following:

[code]find . -name "*.sparsebundle"[/code]

That should return you a list of all *.sparsebundle files. See if it finds anything there.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Also check for .sparseimage files just in case you were using the 10.4 compatible format and didn't realize it. The command to enter in Terminal is essentially the same, but all of my vaults are .sparseimage so I thought I would mention it as well. Copy and paste this into Terminal:

[CODE]find . -name "*.sparseimage"[/CODE]
  • Hi guys,

(Belated) thanks for the help. I found the sparsebundle and it was corrupted. Got an old one off of a time machine backup.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Sorry to hear about the problem, but I am glad you were able to restore from a backup. We can never have too many backups!