This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

merge 1 password from two computers

I have two computers with 1password that has different information. I want to merge them and then use dropbox for both computers. Is this possible?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2011
    Hello dayavira,

It [i]is[/i] possible!

For this example, I'll presume that you have two Macs. However, if you have one Mac and one PC, the same procedure will work...just substitute [i]PC[/i] for [i]Mac 2[/i].

[b][u]First[/u]:[/b] Please create Backup files of your 1Password data on both computers by selecting Backup Now on the [i]Backup[/i] tab in [i]1Password > Preferences[/i].

[b][u]Second[/u]: I[/b]f you haven't already, download and setup up Dropbox on both computers. You can download Dropbox directly from their website: [url="https://www.dropbox.com"]dropbox.com[/url]

[b][u]Third[/u]: [/b]After completing Dropbox setup:

Mac 1: Export all data as a .1pif file ([i]File > Export All > 1Password Interchange File...[/i])

Mac 2: Move your 1Password data file to Dropbox by selecting "Move to Dropbox" found on the [i]General[/i] tab in [i]1Password > Preferences[/i].

Mac 1: Once the Dropbox sync of Mac 2's keychain is complete, double-click 1Password.agilekeychain in the Mac 2's Dropbox folder.

Mac 1: After 1Password opens (which should now show Mac 2's saved entries) [i]Import[/i] the .1pif data file created in the first step in order to merge your original Mac 1 data with the just synced Mac 2 data ([i]File > Import... > 1Password Interchange File[/i])

[b][u]Fourth[/u]: [/b]The .1pif data file is [b]NOT[/b] encrypted (unlike Backup files). After you finish importing your data, we recommend dragging the .1pif file to the Trash and then [b]securely[/b] deleting the file by opening a Finder window and selecting [i]Finder > Secure Empty Trash[/i].

Please let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • I got back to this late but finely got it done and it worked great. Thank you.
  • Hello dayavira,

I'm glad everything worked out! Thanks for updating the thread.

Cheers!

Brandt