This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Clicking on Knox Icon causes Hour Glass to spin indefinetely

[list=1]

[*]Purchased Knox several months ago when I had Snow Leopard installed on my Mac Book Pro

[*]Loved the software - everything worked great

[*]Then, I upgraded to Lion, and then

[*]I downloaded the latest version of Knox from Agile Website (files dated Aug 10, 2011)

[*]When I click on Knox.app it loads into the Task Bar as normal - everything seems fine

[*]However, when I then click on the Knox Icon in the task bar, I get the hour glass spinning indefinitely and my macbook pro slows to a crawl. Its obvious that some process is taking up the CPU. Hour glass will continue to spin indefinitely and the only way out of it is to shut down my computer. Cannot use Force Quit and the Knox app is not registered there.

[*]The shut down process however only completes so far and eventually I have to hit the power button to do a hard shut down.

[*]Have tried this process several times and always get the same results.

[*]Would appreciate any suggestions or help as to how I can get Knox to work successfully under Lion.

[/list]

Regards,

Michael

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Michael, welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with Knox, is this with Knox 2.1.7? We did release it on August 10, 2011, so I'm not sure if you downloaded Knox before we published it or after.

I'll going to need you to contact us at support@agilebits.com, so that we can help you better with this. We need some information from your system before you send us the email. First, please open Finder and select the Go Menu > Go to Folder option. Type or copy the following address in there without the quotes:

"~/Library/Logs/Knox/"

Locate the file called "Knox.log" and attach it to the email. For some users, this file may not exist. Don't be alarmed if that's your situation as well.

I'll also need to look at the other logs in the Console.app while you attempt to reproduce the problem with Knox. You can get these logs as follows:

1. Launch Console.app which can be found in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

2. Click the "Clear Display" button on the toolbar.

3. Launch Knox and reproduce the problem. Then wait 15 seconds to let the Console refresh.

4. Press Command-A to select all the logs and Command-C to copy them to your clipboard.

5. After starting a reply to this email, press Command-V to paste the logs.

Please also add the subject "Knox Issue: Clicking on Knox Icon causes Hour Glass" and include a link to this thread in the email, so that we can connect the do and then send us the email.

Thanks!
  • Hi Mike: Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I will get all the info you requested and move this to e-mail as you suggested. The reason I gave you the date of the files instead of the version is that I can't get the version to display. As noted above, as soon as I click on the Knox Icon, I get some type of runaway process. But just to be sure I was using the latest version I down loaded the trial version from your website yesterday and got identical results.

Look for my e-mail tomorrow....Best, Michael
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited August 2011
    Thanks, Michael. We will reply to your email as soon as we can! I didn't see it in our inbox just now (searching based on the email address you used to sign up for the forums), but please send Mike or myself a PM if we should be looking for a message from a different email address.

Cheers,
  • mhick
    mhick Junior Member
    I'm having a similar problem, also running the latest versions of Lion and Knox. In my case, I was editing a Pages document on a Knox vault when my system froze up and I had to force a restart. Even after several clean restarts, Knox won't mount any vaults without causing my system to freeze - the spinning beach ball appears and everything stops working. (I've been able to open everything else, including Pages, without this problem - it's only when I try to use Knox.)

Should I do the same thing that MikeT advised above - send you guys an email with that information in it?

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi [quote name='mhick' timestamp='1314709401' post='43263']

I'm having a similar problem, also running the latest versions of Lion and Knox. In my case, I was editing a Pages document on a Knox vault when my system froze up and I had to force a restart. Even after several clean restarts, Knox won't mount any vaults without causing my system to freeze - the spinning beach ball appears and everything stops working. (I've been able to open everything else, including Pages, without this problem - it's only when I try to use Knox.)

Should I do the same thing that MikeT advised above - send you guys an email with that information in it?

Thanks!

[/quote]Yes, please follow my instructions and email us at support@agilebits.com with those log files.

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi guys,

We just released an update for Knox that includes a couple of bug fixes for the hour glass issue. Please open Knox and have it check for updates.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • mhick
    mhick Junior Member
    The update seems to have fixed the problem for me. I was able to mount my vault and open my files just fine. Thank you!
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited September 2011
    That's awesome to hear, thank you for the update.