This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password did not correctly update my Password

Following the instructions on this page to Manually save a Login”

[url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/3_minute_expert_new.html"]http://help.agilebit...expert_new.html[/url]

I did the following:

1. Visit the site’s login page

2. Enter my login details like normal, but wait—don’t hit the login button yet!

3. Open the 1Password extension and click the + button

4. A new login form with my details did appear

5. Click Save to store my new Login!

Log out

Log back in using 1Password.

OK, that worked and I am now able to use 1Password to automatically log on to that site.

Now I want to use 1Password to change my password, with a stronger password.

I went to my user profile for the site and selected “Edit UserID/Password.”

I then followed these instructions from the 1Password web page:

[b]How To: Use the Strong Password Generator[/b]

When it’s time to enter your password during a signup process or you want to update a password for an existing Login, simply:

1. Click the 1P button - [b]did that[/b]

2. Click the Strong Password Generator - [b]did that also[/b]

3. (Optionally) Customize your new password - [b]did not use this feature[/b]

4. Click Fill to place your new password into the form - [b]did that[/b]

5. Submit the form ...

[color=#333233][b]The site responded with an error message: [/b]“[/color]The current password does not match our records. Please enter it again.[color=#000000]”[/color]

... and the 1Password Bar will ask you to save or update your Login. Click Save -[b] didn't get this far[/b]

1Password apprarently did not fill in my current password where it was requested by the site.

[b]What did I do Wrong?[/b]

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi ralphjh,

I don't see where you told 1Password to fill in your existing password?
  • I guess I didn't understand the instructions. On this page:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/change_password.html

I must have misinterpreted these words: "1Password will intelligently guess where the current password should go."

Well, it didn't do that.

Bottom line: How do I get 1Password to change an existing password without my having to manually enter the existing password?

There are 3 blank fields on the change password page, just like the example on your instruction page, Old Password, New Password, and Confirm New Password. Since 1Password knows my existing password (it logged me in), based on the quoted phrase above, I expected 1Password to correctly fill in all 3 fields correctly.

It didn't work, so how is it done?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2011
    I'm really sorry for the confusion here, 1Password won't automatically fill your current password unless you tell it to do so. I just changed my password for Evernote to go through the process myself and this is what I had to do:

[list=1]

[*] Login to the site in question using 1Password since you already have your current details saved

[*] Locate the change password page for that site

[*] Click the 1P icon and select your existing Login to fill your password, I found it filled all 3 fields in the case of Evernote, I'm guessing that's just down to the way the Evernote site has the fields labelled

[*] CLick the 1P icon again and select the password generator option and set this as you see fit, double-click the new password to select it and use Command + C to copy this to your clipboard.

[*] Click 'Fill' to fill the new password into the correct fields, it should ignore the field for the current password, and then submit the change.

[*] Providing the site is happy with the change you can then click the 1P icon again, click the blue arrow to the right of your existing Login for the site and click the 'Edit' button at the top of the extension.

[*] If you then double-click the text of your existing password you can use Command + V to paste in the newly generated password in it's place

[*] Click 'Save' to save the updated item.

[/list]

I'm sorry if that seems overly complicated, the new extensions don't yet have full support for updating existing Logins when a password has been changed, though I'm pleased to say this is something we're working to fix as we speak. The instructions in the guide need to be updated to reflect the current situation, so I do apologise for any confusion caused.