This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Mac metadata service holding vaults open

Stevarino
Stevarino Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Hello,

I'm using the trial version of Knox and so far I'm liking it a lot. However, one issue I've been having is that sometimes my vaults cannot be closed without warning dialogs. After doing some research is appears that the Mac metadata service (mds) has a file reference to the open volume (based on lsof output). If my understanding is correct, the metadata service is associated with Spotlight indexing. Do I need to explicitly turn off Spotlight indexing for my vaults or is there another solution?

Thanks.

Comments

• dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    Hi Stevarino, and welcome to the forums!

[quote name='Stevarino']I'm using the trial version of Knox and so far I'm liking it a lot.[/quote]

This is great to hear!

[quote name='Stevarino']However, one issue I've been having is that sometimes my vaults cannot be closed without warning dialogs. After doing some research is appears that the Mac metadata service (mds) has a file reference to the open volume (based on lsof output). If my understanding is correct, the metadata service is associated with Spotlight indexing.[/quote]

Yes, Spotlight needs to do some work every time you modify files on the volume. You might also see "mdworker" appear during this time. Both of these should disappear after a few minutes, depending on the size of the files you added or changed.

[quote name='Stevarino']Do I need to explicitly turn off Spotlight indexing for my vaults or is there another solution?[/QUOTE]

This is an option but once Spotlight is finished it should close all its open files and let you close the volume w/o the warning. How long did you wait before closing the vault? Also, how much data did you add?
  • Stevarino
    Stevarino Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the reply. I had added about 10 GB of data to the volume. The volume had been mounted for awhile by the time I tried to unmount it, but I'm not exactly sure how long.

I saw something on the net that said if you put a .metadata_never_index file in the root directory of the volume then Spotlight won't index it. I've tried that and I haven't had any problems with unmounting the volume. I didn't need indexing for this particular volume so that was a reasonable solution.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for letting us know your workaround. The Knox Preferences option for disabling Spotlight for a vault would have worked in your case as well I believe: that's its purpose... to tell Spotlight to not do any indexing.