This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Pricing Concerns

frjps
frjps Junior Member
Another poster in the TUAW forums wrote this & I agree with him 100%!

"I've been a 1P user for many years but I think it's time to switch to Lastpass. I've had to pay for the Mac version, the iPhone version and the iPad version and now I have to pay again for the MAS version just to upgrade to version 4? It's great software and all but the changes from version to version are really incremental and mostly UI. I've spent $65 in a year and a half upgrading and now I'll have to pay another $20 (what a deal at half off, /sarcasm) to do it again? I have absolutely no faith that they won't charge me again next year to upgrade."

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi frjps,

Welcome to the forums!

This is how software licensing works for most apps. You purchase a license for a particular major version (i.e., version 3). All version 3.x updates are free, and then there is an upgrade fee for the next major revision (i.e. version 4).

Anyone who purchased within the last 30 days can drop us an email for a full refund.

I feel our licensing is even more generous than that of many other applications require that you purchase a license for each copy of the software you install. We license 1Password per person, per platform. That means if you have an iPhone and an iPad, you can use a single purchase of 1Password Pro across both. Have 3 Macs? A Single User License of 1Password for Mac has got you covered.

The same will be true with the Mac App Store.

In addition, we don't want people to feel like they are paying twice for version 3, and as such we are including a free upgrade to version 4 with your MAS purchase. Think of it like getting 1P3 MAS edition for free, and version 4 for 50% off.
  • I was planning on spending at least $20 when Version 4 came out .. so I think this is a great deal
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Thanks for your input rr0ss0rr!
  • frjps
    frjps Junior Member
    I disagree that most software upgrades work this way. Most of the apps I have come with free upgrades, even with full point revisions (3.0 to 4.0, for example). And I had to pay for 1P for my iPhone AND for my iPad. You changed it after this, but I was still stuck having to pay for both. So I've paid for a Mac version, an iPad version, and an iPhone version. And $20 for an upgrade is expensive, IMO. $10, OK. And how many people have 3 or 4 Macs they are using? If I had enough money to have several Macs, I wouldn't be complaining about an upgrade fee! Finally, I've already paid for version 3.0. Now I have to pay again for 4.0. I don't think I should have to pay again just because you put 1P on the MAS. So in my mind I'm not getting 1P on the MAS for free & 4.0 for 50% off. Semantics.
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    It is a valid point of view, frjps.

1Password 3.8 is a very good app and it is not required to purchase the Mac App Store version. Majority of improvements in version 3 are coming in the browser extensions and they are distributed separately now and work with both 3.8 and 3.9.
  • frjps
    frjps Junior Member
    OK, but will I still be forced at some time in the future to pay for an upgrade in order for 1P to be compatible with a newer version of iOS or Mac OS or Safari? If I don't purchase the upgrade, can I be assured that I can use 1P in the future?
  • Examinus
    Examinus Junior Member
    [quote name='frjps' timestamp='1315674333' post='47232']

I disagree that most software upgrades work this way. Most of the apps I have come with free upgrades, even with full point revisions (3.0 to 4.0, for example). And I had to pay for 1P for my iPhone AND for my iPad. You changed it after this, but I was still stuck having to pay for both. So I've paid for a Mac version, an iPad version, and an iPhone version. And $20 for an upgrade is expensive, IMO. $10, OK. And how many people have 3 or 4 Macs they are using? If I had enough money to have several Macs, I wouldn't be complaining about an upgrade fee! Finally, I've already paid for version 3.0. Now I have to pay again for 4.0. I don't think I should have to pay again just because you put 1P on the MAS. So in my mind I'm not getting 1P on the MAS for free & 4.0 for 50% off. Semantics.

[/quote]

I can't think of one example of paid software I use where I get free major updates. Can you give some examples so maybe I can switch?
  • ryy
    ryy
    edited September 2011
    But isn't the upgrade cost for most programs LESS than the original price? If not, can you please provide some examples of other programs that charge the same price to upgrade as to purchase?

I know that there is a 50% off sale currently, but as I don't have Lion yet, I can't partake. So it seems like eventually I'll have to re-buy the program for the same price I initially paid (which doesn't really make sense as an upgrade cost).

I'm sure this is answered in another thread, but why wouldn't Agile continue providing upgrades/4.0 on their site (outside of the App Store), so I could pay a sub-$40 upgrade cost to get 4.0 when it's ready?

I feel like I was led into a dead-end - obviously when I bought 1Password I expected that I'd be receiving updates for free or for a reasonable upgrade cost - but it feels like my license was essentially nullified, since I'll have to re-buy it for full price.