This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1P MAS: 1P Agent Still loading and backups still being made to App Support Folder

The Doctor
The Doctor Member
Having updated to 3.9 I noticed some odd behavior...

ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist is still found within the ~/library/LaunchAgents folder and upon reboot, I get the Growl message the the datafile is being backed up.

When I look in the ~/application support/1password/ folder I see a fresh backup made there.

I also do NOT see any backups within the ~/library/containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder

Should I manually delete the launch agent?

Why are no backups being placed in my container?

Why are there two agile bits containers: com.agilebits.onepassword-osx

and

com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Sorry for all the questions...but 1P is probably my most used utility and the strangeness has me a bit concerned...

Comments

• roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    A few latest versions of 1PasswordAgent have the code to remove itself when the Mac App Store version is started. However, if you were running an earlier version then it is possible that it remains. Please use the following command in Terminal to remove it

[code]launchctl unload ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist[/code]

The backups should be in ~//Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

The helper does all the data access and backup work. It is a separate process and has its own container created for it by the sandbox.
  • Thanks for the quick response...sorry form my terminal ignorance...

What does that command do?

I went ahead and removed the 1PasswordAgent from the launch agents folder and just stuck it somewhere safe in case I needed it. Then I rebooted and everything seems to work without it around.

Do I still need to run that terminal command?

So what are the two containers for again? I understand where there is one...but why the second?
  • Oh...and once I remove the agent...how can I confirm that the backups are working properly?

Was it the old Agent that stuck that backup file in the old application support folder instead of the container?
  • roustem
    [quote name='rwross' timestamp='1315537969' post='46031']

Thanks for the quick response...sorry form my terminal ignorance...

What does that command do?

I went ahead and removed the 1PasswordAgent from the launch agents folder and just stuck it somewhere safe in case I needed it. Then I rebooted and everything seems to work without it around.

Do I still need to run that terminal command?

[/quote]

The command tells Lion to stop loading the agent. You should run it or Lion will keep trying to load 1PasswordAgent every few seconds, you probably see error messages in the log now.

[quote name='rwross' timestamp='1315537969' post='46031']

So what are the two containers for again? I understand where there is one...but why the second?

[/quote]

One is for 1Password.app itself and another one for 1Password Helper. The helper is a separate process that takes care of the database and also talks to the browser extensions.
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor Member
    edited September 2011
    Ok...I'll run that command...but then I should just leave the agent back in the ~library\launchagents\ folder?

Won't lion just start the whole process again the next time I reboot?

Oh...and just for your testing purposes...I was running the latest 3.8.5 build prior to updating to 3.9
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited September 2011
    Hi rwross,

The terminal command tells the system to unload 1Password from the list of launch items, so that it doesn't load them again when the system launches or every few seconds depending on how the configuration works.

launchctl = launch control, the system has a launcher that it uses to open programs

unload = unload from the list

...1PasswordAgent.plist = the configuration file we use to tell launchctl how, what, when to launch our 1PasswordAgent

If you removed the 1PasswordAgent file from the agents folder, the system will continue to try to launch it despite the missing file. You'll see this message now in your system logs. Console.app should show it to you.

As for the containers, there are two because we have the main 1Password app and the menubar helper. They are two separate apps that work together. Helper runs all the time and help 1Password with several tasks, such as working with the browser extensions, performing backups and so on.
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor Member
    edited September 2011
    Ok...

So, I replaced the agent plist back into the launch agent folder and ran that terminal command.

Upon reboot...the agent is back as is the helper

Just to be clear...when i was talking about removing the agent file...I was talking about removing the .plist file from launch agents folder not removing the agent app itself.

Does that change your instructions?
  • roustem
    [quote name='rwross' timestamp='1315538910' post='46051']

Ok...

So, I replaced the agent plist back into the launch agent folder and ran that terminal command.

Upon reboot...the agent is back as is the helper

Just to be clear...when i was talking about removing the agent file...I was talking about removing the .plist file from launch agents folder not removing the agent app itself.

Does that change your instructions?

[/quote]

Hmm. The agent shouldn't be back after you run the command in Terminal.

Try to run the command again and see if the agent is running after that.
  • Well, when I run the command, I see it unload from Activity monitor.

But, the plist file is still in the ~library\launchagents\ folder so it just reloads when I reboot the system.

This seems like what should, in fact, happen unless I remove that plist file from the launch agents folder?

So, should I remove that plist manually?

And...once again...when I look in the container, I don't see any new backups so I'm concerned that the old agent file is still doing it's thing but the new helper part isn't backing up to the container
  • roustem
    [quote name='rwross' timestamp='1315539478' post='46061']

Well, when I run the command, I see it unload from Activity monitor.

But, the plist file is still in the ~library\launchagents\ folder so it just reloads when I reboot the system.

This seems like what should, in fact, happen unless I remove that plist file from the launch agents folder?

So, should I remove that plist manually?

And...once again...when I look in the container, I don't see any new backups so I'm concerned that the old agent file is still doing it's thing but the new helper part isn't backing up to the container

[/quote]

Yes, please run the command again and then remove the plist file.

Please also try to use File > Backup menu in 1Password. After the backup is completed it will open the backup folder.
  • ok...that seemed to do the trick. My guess is that something in your 3.9 clean-up code didn't remove the plist from the launch agents folder.

Couple other housekeeping questions if you don't mind:

1) Can the 1P application support folder be trashed at this point?

2) Having linked to Dropbox a new agilekeychain was created in the root of DropBox, but the 1P folder has the previous copy of the 1P keychain. Can this one be trashed?

3) The 1P helper that starts at system launch...where is the command to load that located? Being an old and still paranoid Windows user from years ago, I hate not knowing when and where things are loaded in case I need to fix things be reinstalling. That helper app is not triggered from anywhere I know: launch agents, login items, or even privileged helper tools so I'm guessing it's hidden somewhere I'm not familiar with.
  • roustem
    [quote name='rwross' timestamp='1315540769' post='46078']

ok...that seemed to do the trick. My guess is that something in your 3.9 clean-up code didn't remove the plist from the launch agents folder.

Couple other housekeeping questions if you don't mind:

1) Can the 1P application support folder be trashed at this point?

[/quote]

Yes.

2) Having linked to Dropbox a new agilekeychain was created in the root of DropBox, but the 1P folder has the previous copy of the 1P keychain. Can this one be trashed?

[/quote]

Yes. Please make sure the data you currently have in 1Password is correct. Just in case, I would make a backup of this file.

3) The 1P helper that starts at system launch...where is the command to load that located? Being an old and still paranoid Windows user from years ago, I hate not knowing when and where things are loaded in case I need to fix things be reinstalling. That helper app is not triggered from anywhere I know: launch agents, login items, or even privileged helper tools so I'm guessing it's hidden somewhere I'm not familiar with.

[/quote]

The Mac App Store makes it much simpler. The helper application is packaged inside 1Password.app. You can enable or disable it using 1Password > Preferences > Extensions.
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor Member
    edited September 2011
    First, I want to, again, thank you for helping me get this all worked out. I know you guys have taken some knocks today, but over the long term I'm sure you'll be enjoying the focus you can bring to app development rather than all the administrative tasks you mentioned in an earlier post.

I've been with you guys since 2.x and I'm still here...so thanks!!

One last question about that helper app. I did see that it was within the 1P.app package, but I still don't understand how it's launching. I mean the iTunes helper is within the iTunes.app package as well, but it still needs to be "called" from somewhere in that case it's in the login items.

Or are you saying that any Mac Store app that is installed with a helper just gets launched upon system start. The main reason I ask is if some version misbehaves and I want to rip out all remnants and reinstall, would I just need to trash the app or is there some file somewhere that's part of the boot process that is pointing to that helper app that I'd need to erase as well?

Thanks for your patience!!

** edit -- I think I may have found this on my own...the app packages appear to have their own login folders now...how clever and self contained **