This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

So how will 1Password upgrades work?

Coupon codes mailed to those who purchased the 3.9 MAS version? If so why couldn't the current owners of 3.8 gotten coupon codes instead for a free 3.9 upgrade?

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited September 2011
    Hi sabrewulf,

All the customers that purchased 1Password 3.9 at the Mac App Store will be prompted to update to 1Password 4 at the App Store, no actions are required on their ends and no coupon codes will be involved here. It'll be like a typical update you see all the times with other apps that are available in the Mac App store.

As for the current owners, there are no unlimited coupon codes at the Mac App Store, we are limited to a very small number of coupons per update, not enough to move everybody to the App Store. Which is why we're giving people a chance to buy the app with a free upgrade at the Mac App Store at a lower price.
  • How will upgrades work going forward? When 1Password 5 is released someday, how will upgrade pricing from 4 to 5 work? Or will we be forced into paying full price for 5? Or will new users get the same discounted "upgrade" pricing in the MAS when 5 is released? If someone owns a license for 3 and wants to upgrade to 4 after your [i]limited time offer[/i] is over, will they be forced into paying full price again? Will the same be true when going from 4 to 5?

This new business model needs to be thoroughly explained to the consumer. From reading these forums today, I get the distinct impression that the decision to move to the MAS was not well thought through. There are many questions that should have been considering before deciding to make this move that appear to still be unanswered.

As a paying customer who has recommend your product to numerous friends, family members, and clients, I would appreciate a response to these questions. Thanks.
  • My concern is how will you be able to tell which customers paid for the "free 1Password 4 upgrade" to those who get the MAS version after your limited time offer? The way MAS behaves doesn't seem to be able to do that. You either have the app or you don't, that's pretty much how MAS behaves. How do you as a company push out version 4 to MAS and then have Apple decide who gets the free upgrade and who doesn't? It just doesn't seem possible. I would imagine that everyone gets the upgrade for free and this whole limited time thing is really just a break on the current version pricing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='caesar113' timestamp='1315539706' post='46064']

How will upgrades work going forward? When 1Password 5 is released someday, how will upgrade pricing from 4 to 5 work? Or will we be forced into paying full price for 5? Or will new users get the same discounted "upgrade" pricing in the MAS when 5 is released? If someone owns a license for 3 and wants to upgrade to 4 after your [i]limited time offer[/i] is over, will they be forced into paying full price again? Will the same be true when going from 4 to 5?

[/quote]

Honest answer? We don't know. New features may become available in the MAS, our business model may change, the world may end... (not trying to be sarcastic). We haven't reached v4 yet, let alone v5. All I can say is that historically we've tried to be very generous with upgrades and I foresee us continuing that practice as much as possible.

[quote name='sabrewulf' timestamp='1315561808' post='46234']

My concern is how will you be able to tell which customers paid for the "free 1Password 4 upgrade" to those who get the MAS version after your limited time offer? The way MAS behaves doesn't seem to be able to do that. You either have the app or you don't, that's pretty much how MAS behaves. How do you as a company push out version 4 to MAS and then have Apple decide who gets the free upgrade and who doesn't? It just doesn't seem possible. I would imagine that everyone gets the upgrade for free and this whole limited time thing is really just a break on the current version pricing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[/quote]

Everybody who purchases from the MAS gets v4 when it is available. Doesn't matter what price they end up paying for it (from an availability perspective). Everyone who purchases 1Password in the Mac App Store will get v4, at no additional cost, when it is available.