This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

"Use Dropbox" greyed out in 1Password 3.9

I've been using 1Password on my iPhone and iPad for a while now, and I just bought the mac version through the MAS today.

I would like to sync all my data through dropbox, but the option in the preferences to do so is greyed out. I have done some searching and I can't find anything that would tell me how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Comments

• roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    It will be grayed out if you do not have Dropbox installed or if your Dropbox folder is not in a standard location (i.e. not in ~/Dropbox).
  • So if my dropbox folder is in the root of another disk that I have then I cannot use it? Shall I move my dropbox folder? Does it need to be somewhere specific?
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    [quote name='watteau' timestamp='1315540294' post='46073']

So if my dropbox folder is in the root of another disk that I have then I cannot use it? Shall I move my dropbox folder? Does it need to be somewhere specific?

[/quote]

Yes, it has to be in your home folder. This is how the sandbox is currently set up for 1Password application.
  • Thank you all fixed now
  • Hi,

One more question: I cannot move my dropbox folder to my home folder.

I tried to symlink my dropbox to ~/Dropbox but with no success. Is it expected?

Will there be a workaround or fix for this?

thanks,

p.
  • 1PowerUser
    1PowerUser Junior Member
    It seems like the Dropbox syncing method in v3.9 not only requires the Dropbox folder to be directly under the home folder, but also the agile keychain to be directly under the Dropbox folder. Does this prevent me from sharing my keychain between multiple Dropbox accounts? I used to do this by sharing the folder above my keychain with another Dropbox user, but now that it is under root... I noticed the keychain itself is recognized by the Dropbox website as a folder, so will sharing it directly work? Thanks.
  • [quote name='Pilap82' timestamp='1315549685' post='46156']

I tried to symlink my dropbox to ~/Dropbox but with no success. Is it expected?[/quote]

Yes, a symlink won't work, your Dropbox folder has to be in your home folder. You said you couldn't move it back, is that due to size limitations on your main drive? I have a 60gb SSD as my 'boot' drive and a 500gb drive as my data drive, I moved my home folder to the data drive and haven't had any major issues.

[quote]Will there be a workaround or fix for this?[/quote]

I'm sure Roustem could speak more to this, but I don't believe there can be a fix. The way sandboxing works with Lion means we have certain areas that we're allowed to read and write data from, as well as our own container we asked for, and were given, an exception to allow us to read and write from ~/Dropbox/. The problem with custom Dropbox paths is that we have no idea where they could be ahead of time, so we couldn't ask for an exception for a random location.

[quote name='1PowerUser' timestamp='1315735392' post='47687']

It seems like the Dropbox syncing method in v3.9 not only requires the Dropbox folder to be directly under the home folder, but also the agile keychain to be directly under the Dropbox folder. Does this prevent me from sharing my keychain between multiple Dropbox accounts? [/quote]

At the moment, yes, that's not an option. I've been talking with Roustem about this and we're looking into some solutions. Just to be clear, if you had 1Password installed already and syncing with Dropbox in a subfolder than this won't change, my 1Password data is in '1Password Syncing' and works just fine, the current limitation will mainly affect new users.

I hope that helps,