This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password + Dropbox concern

Hey 1P,

I'm a happy 1Password customer owning licenses for Mac, Windows and iOS. I'm happy enough to purchase an upgrade via the MAS but my biggest concern is about Dropbox.

As I have a large amount of Dropbox data and several Macs with SSD's to preserve storage space I have my Dropbox stored on separate partitons. Does this mean I won't be able to use 3.9/4 MAS on those Macs and dropbox sync?

Is there an alternative way to sync between my computers? What is my best option going forward without moving my dropbox to the default location as this just isn't a viable option for me.

I also have a couple of comments from what I have read by staff on the forum. The first was a comment that things have been moving too slow at 1P yet updates and betas having been coming thick and fast. MAS versions take time to be approved so isn't this somewhat of a contradiction and things will in fact slow down further?

Secondly the reasons/benefits for going MAS only is curious. I understand the issue of not having to deal with licenses, payment processors etc BUT you have other products that will still require these components such as 1P for Windows, Knox etc. It also feels like you will be losing large revenue streams and important feedback by not supporting both MAS and non MAS purchases. With business users, beta testers, bundles, 1P + Windows offers etc etc.

Thanks for an awesome product and thus far awesome support.

Comments

• I am also concerned with the location of the Dropbox container as I use it so much I have on the Desktop. Now I can't access it or select it as my 1P location. Even when I have a valid 3.x license, I bought it again from the MAS just to support this great app, but it is also convenient. Any help?
  • [quote name='Gil Lopez' timestamp='1315572460' post='46310']

I am also concerned with the location of the Dropbox container as I use it so much I have on the Desktop. Now I can't access it or select it as my 1P location. Even when I have a valid 3.x license, I bought it again from the MAS just to support this great app, but it is also convenient. Any help?

[/quote]

You could always put your Dropbox in the default location and then put an alias on your Desktop.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi folks,

I believe this thread may be of some use to you.

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8335-how-to-fix-issue-where-1password-will-not-use-agilekeychain-in-dropbox-folder/

Technically the 1Password keychain file must be located at ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain, but if you are feeling ambitious then you may be able to work around that.
  • PaulMiller
    PaulMiller Junior Member
    [quote name='bwoodruff' timestamp='1315669114' post='47172']

Technically the 1Password keychain file must be located at ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain, but if you are feeling ambitious then you may be able to work around that.

[/quote]

Is this restriction likely to remain the case? Like others, my Dropbox is where *I* want it to be, and lots of other processes on various computers rely upon that location. I'd rather not move it just for one application... especially if the 1Password team is going to fix the problem they created with this silly requirement.

Please fix... soon!
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='PaulMiller' timestamp='1315674683' post='47239']

Is this restriction likely to remain the case? Like others, my Dropbox is where *I* want it to be, and lots of other processes on various computers rely upon that location. I'd rather not move it just for one application... especially if the 1Password team is going to fix the problem they created with this silly requirement.

Please fix... soon!

[/quote]

This is actually to comply with Apple's sandboxing. We have to request permission from Apple for each filesystem path we want to interact with. We requested and were approved for ~/Dropbox (and of course the default location).