This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Downgrading to 3.5

lollomatique
edited September 2011 in Mac
Over a year ago, I read your article about the Agile keychain design at [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password/agile_keychain_design.html"]http://help.agilebit...ain_design.html[/url]. This made me think you guys know what you do, and convinced me that I am purchasing a stable, SVN-synchable (sic!), and even multi-user friendly (if not multi-user enabled) password managament solution. I never liked the bold design of its user interface, but that didn’t matter to me because I was looking for functionality.

During the last year, I recommended 1Password to numerous friends and even family members. Hope that recommendation doesn’t shoot back at me.

Today, 1Password and its mysterious synching mechanism somehow synched the three keychains I used in parallel with each other. I have no idea how this happened; I can only presume that the (useless) Firefox extension has served as a source for login data and added each entry that it didn’t find in a keychain to it, effectively merging the three in unpredictable ways. Or if it wasn’t the FF extension, it was that agent thing you have running in the background (which surprised me when I read it here, really).

Won’t you agree that first publishing such documentation about file-based storage and then adding some strange synching mechanisms with background agents isn’t a little bit odd?

Anyhow, thanks Agile. I have just downgraded to 3.5. It doesn’t support Firefox 6, which doesn’t really make me angry because currently NO version of 1P does support Firefox 6. So it’s ok.

My only question is ... where should I send my invoice about the 5 hours I spent today on cleaning up my 1P keychains and figuring what the hell you guys had done to them? I would charge an hourly rate of $250 if that’s OK. It’s a little bit more than I charge usually but I think your future earnings on the MAS will cover for it. Please let me know where to send it.

I don’t get what you did mates, and why. Really.

Comments

• Wow... Seems like you've gotten it worse than I, and many other users have.

I'm in the same boat as you, in that passionately recommended the product to many people who purchased it and I'm worried about it coming back to bite me.

Good luck!
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi there,

Most of the issues with the Firefox 6 extension have been fixed as of 1Password 3.8. What issues are you still having?

The background syncing is necessary due to the sandboxing that both Safari 5.1 and Firefox 6 are using. We can't directly access any files outside of our sandbox (including the 1Password keychain). So, the agent pulls the data from the keychain and dumps it into the extension's sandbox.
  • [quote name='amphibious' timestamp='1315581173' post='46458']

you've gotten it worse than I

[/quote]

Thanks

Not sure whether [i]worse[/i] describes it well though since 1P has not [i]deleted[/i] anything ... it‘s more like you come home and find that some housebreaker has thrown everything through each other, but not stolen anything. Not really bad but you feel hurt.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi lollomatique,

Did you see my post above?
  • lollomatique
    edited September 2011
    [quote name='bwoodruff' timestamp='1315581589' post='46470']

Most of the issues with the Firefox 6 extension have been fixed as of 1Password 3.8. What issues are you still having?

[/quote]

Well, I upgraded, then I continued to work as I used to do (with often switching between data files), and after some time, I noticed that the data files got mangled. Then, I tried to find out what happened.

Since I didn’t actively use the extension (though it was installed) because it stopped working weeks ago, I didn’t notice any change in behavior there. What I would have notice would be that auto-fill and auto-submit would have been back since I always double-click the items in 1P (yes, I use it at as a bookmarks tool, too), and when FF opened, it didn’t auto-fill the forms. So I think these features still don’t work, but I cannot confirm whether they do or not.

[By the way, whatever you do with this sandboxing and syncing and whatever, it would be great if you could publish a technical article on the architecture you are using so people can deal with it. Just like you did with the keychain design thing. [i]That[/i] was well communicated.]