This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

What are we LOSING with MAS version?

Before I take the jump, I'd really like to hear what functionality is lost because of the "sandboxing". Does 1Password still grab the icon when you enter a license under the Software section? What is the downside here? I'm sure there is one and would like to make an INFORMED decision.

Comments

• [quote name='njentzsch' timestamp='1315580765' post='46446']

Before I take the jump, I'd really like to hear what functionality is lost because of the "sandboxing".

[/quote]

[list]

[*]Lion only.

[*]Application "sandboxing" is in place for increased security and isolation from other applications. This places strict limits on what parts of your computer's hard drive(s) can be accessed. Only locations that Apple approves us to access are allowed.

[*]Only one (1) 1Password data file allowed. You cannot switch between data files dynamically, either through 1Password preferences or by using the Finder.

[*]You only have two choices of location for the data file: within the installed sandbox of the application or in Dropbox (see below).

[*]If you choose to sync your 1Password data using the free Dropbox service, the 1Password data file must live in a fixed folder of your Dropbox storage and the Dropbox folder *must be* located in your OS X account's home folder.

[*]The data file's name will always be 1Password.agilekeychain.

[*]Having 1Password store its Master Password in your OS X keychain is no longer available. (Not related to sandboxing)

[*]All older browser-based support for 1Password has been removed. The only browsers that will work are Safari (and NOT the somewhat related nightly WebKit builds), Google Chrome and Firefox 5 or higher. Future updates may bring additional browser support.

[*]Deleting the 1Password application using LaunchPad will delete its sandboxed information -- your 1Password data as well (unless you are using the Dropbox sync method).

[*]Likewise for the 1Password data file backups: they will be deleted if you delete the application using LaunchPad.

[*]Many of the 1Password Preference panes have been simplified by removing settings for things no longer available.

[*]Safari bookmarklets cannot be created or changed from 1Password.

[*]Troubleshooting menu has been removed entirely.

[*]1Password MAS uses a new "1Password Helper" intermediary between the app and the extensions that has received no public beta testing instead of the old "1PasswordAgent".

[/list]

I used the list posted in the FAQ and edited out the features to leave only issues, rewrote one entry that was much too vague, and added the last two.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Thanks for the assist!