This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

FireFox Sync Setup

midiw
midiw Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
I installed FireFox Sync and as part of the setup you need to enter a secret phrase 12 characters long.

However there was no way i could figure out how to get 1Password to create that phrase.

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

There are two ways you can do this depending on your location:

1) If you're on Firefox, click on the 1P icon and go to "Strong Password Generator" and it'll bring up the prompt to let you generate and save the new password. Make sure you name it so that you can find it later in Generated Password.

2) Open 1PW client, go to File> New Item> New Password will bring up the Password Generator.

To find it later, Open 1PW client, and look for Generated Password Sections on the left sidebar. If you don't see it at all, open the Preferences, go to General tab and check the Generated Password Section.

Let us know if you need any additional help.
  • midiw
    midiw Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Sorry, my problem was poorly worded, hoping this is better:

It's a FireFox extension add on named FireFox Sync 1.4 that i download from version tracker

[url]http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/75130105[/url]

[url]http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/sync/firstrun.html[/url]

The request for a "secret phrase" is outside a web page and i can't figure out how to get 1P into that dialogue box to entire a 1P generated password.

Could you try by installing the FireFox Sync available for download from version tracker [url]http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/75130105[/url] to see exactly what it is i am having problem with, please ?

I forgot at the time to take a screen shot.

In the end i just make up my own 12 character pass word: i just typed in the first 12 lettres of the Alphabet.

Anticipating your help please.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

I went through the whole process myself, 1PW doesn't have the capability to extend outside of web pages to fill in passwords inside addons as far as I am aware. The password generator options I gave you was to create that secret phase so that it'll give you a strong password and store it for you in the database so that you can go back to 1PW to copy and paste it in yourself.
  • midiw
    midiw Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [QUOTE] 1PW doesn't have the capability to extend outside of web pages to fill in passwords inside addons as far as I am aware. [/QUOTE]WELL that's no good.:sad:

OK so get cracking and get to work with those FireFox add ons (giggle)(giggle)

Thanks for the confirmation that 1PW doesn't have the capability to extend outside of web pages to fill in passwords inside addons because i was going nuts trying this and trying that before posting. SEW 4NOW lets just go for a (beer)
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='midiw']WELL that's no good.:sad:

OK so get cracking and get to work with those FireFox add ons (giggle)(giggle)

Thanks for the confirmation that 1PW doesn't have the capability to extend outside of web pages to fill in passwords inside addons because i was going nuts trying this and trying that before posting. SEW 4NOW lets just go for a (beer)[/QUOTE]

While the distinction may be missed by some users, 1Password fills HTML forms really, really well (okay, there are some cases where we don't but we're trying to get better). A browser add-on/extension doesn't have to follow any rules at all: we don't have any predictable way to even try to interact with them unless they cause a web page to be loaded into the browser that we can then Fill. But as was mentioned, you can still use the Strong Password Generator to generate the password, click on the Copy button so you can Paste it into the add-on and then click the Fill button to store it into 1Password as a Generated Password for later retrieval. Later on you can make an Accounts item, etc. from the Generated Password fields if you'd like.
  • midiw
    midiw Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Marty.

Many times you do have to repeat and repeat and repeat for for this old guy here to understand.

Thanks for your patience and also the clarification.

Next time i have that situation come up then hopefully i remember and if not then there's the information here at this thread.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='midiw']Thanks Marty.

Many times you do have to repeat and repeat and repeat for for this old guy here to understand.

Thanks for your patience and also the clarification.

Next time i have that situation come up then hopefully i remember and if not then there's the information here at this thread.[/QUOTE]

It's never a problem to come back here and look for answers. We're here to help in any way we can too so don't be shy.