This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password 3.9 strange install

I installed 3.9 from the App store and all seemed normal then I noticed 3.8.5 was still installed but 3.9 was placed in a folder called 1Password. I deleted the old version by dragging it to the trash but when I tried to move 3.9 out of the folder into the main applications folder it actually copied itself as though it were a different hard drive and maintained a copy inside the original folder.

I've never seen anything like this since OS X was first introduced. What is it doing this?

Comments

• Following on from all of this I found 3.9 a bit buggy and the open 1Password option in the menu bar wasn't working, so I managed to delete 1Password and following a system restart the menu bar item has also disappeared. When I go back to the App Store though to try and download again it won't let me do so because it says 1Password is already installed. Very strangely I can still access my passwords for logins through the 1Password browser plugins but the application is physically not present on my hard drive and I can't reinstall.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    Can you try to rename the application container folders? They are in ~/Library/Containers.

Make sure you do not delete (only rename) the ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder as it has your data and backups, unless you store the data file in Dropbox.
  • I do use dropbox but I just renamed that folder by adding a number at the end and then the other two as well, however the App Store still thinks 1Password is installed.
  • I've just noticed that in ~ Library > Application Support > 1Password > Agent it has a file called 1PasswordAgent which file info reveals is a 4.9MB application version 3.8.5. I wondered if this is causing problems.
  • roustem
    I don't think 1PasswordAgent has any effect on Mac App Store. I wonder if the Mac App Store version of 1Password is still in Trash and confuses the App Store?
  • No I was struggling to delete it even though file info showed nothing was locked. Eventually I used an old app called SuperGetInfo to force delete the trash and there is no sign of it now.
  • roustem
    My guess is that 1Password Helper was still running and this prevented Trash from being cleared.

Thank you for the update!
  • ashleyk
    edited September 2011
    After changing those file names I tried another restart hoping that might fix it but all I got was a grey screen with an Apple logo. I tried again a couple of times, reset the pram, then tried restarting from an external drive and swapping in a different internal system drive but the result was always the same, so it looks like my main machine has packed up on me yet again. The computer is only two months old and has just come back from it's second repair when Apple changed the logic board, following the earlier replacement of a fan.

The long and short of this is that it looks like I won't be able to test this for a while and I am writing this from my old iMac. I have 3.8.5 installed on the iMac and I can see that I could update to 3.9 in the App Store but I am reluctant to do so while I have all the rest to deal with. I still don't know how I'll manage to install 3.9 on the Mac Pro unless Apple give me a new machine. This one is clearly unacceptable.
  • As a follow up the Mac Pro mysteriously kicked into action after several hours and when I went to the App Store I was able to successfully install 3.9. Changing the names of those files works but it still requires a system restart before the App Store will make the download available again. As for the computer, I'll speak with Apple tomorrow...
  • Adrian B
    Adrian B Junior Member
    Same thing for me, MAS installed 1Password inside a folder named "1Password". Had to remove both old and new 1Password *and* reboot, then I could reinstall it from MAS and it was placed directly in the Applications folder.