This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Dropbox location workarounds?

Ok, not happy about the MAS only decision, but there's plenty of whinging about that already, and you guys have the right to make that decision. Let's get down to practicalities....

I use Dropbox because my I want my passwords synced to my iDevices and multiple computers. My Dropbox is a 50gb monster, and my boot drive is a relatively small SSD, so my Dropbox folder is held on another drive. Now I read that the Dropbox sync only works if the Dropbox folder is stored in the home directory.

You guys must have come across these kind of issues when you were considering MAS only, so what are the official recommendations for scenarios such as this?

Secondly, are there any known problems having the MAS version on a Lion machine syncing with a standard version on a Snow Leopard machine?

Comments

• danco
    danco Senior Member
    I assume, though I have not tried it, that you can have a small Dropbox folder on your SSD that does not contain most of the items you wish to synch, just a symlink to those items.
  • I created a [url="http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8335-how-to-fix-issue-where-1password-will-not-use-agilekeychain-in-dropbox-folder/"]new thread[/url] that may help you out.
  • bw1faeh0
    edited September 2011
    [quote name='v.bampton' timestamp='1315633870' post='46983']

Ok, not happy about the MAS only decision, but there's plenty of whinging about that already, and you guys have the right to make that decision. Let's get down to practicalities....

I use Dropbox because my I want my passwords synced to my iDevices and multiple computers. My Dropbox is a 50gb monster, and my boot drive is a relatively small SSD, so my Dropbox folder is held on another drive.[/quote]

try to create a symbolic link from your ssd to the dropbox directory on your other drive.

Terminal:

> ln -s /Volumes/HDD/DropBox /Users/[your username]/Dropbox

(my Dropbox is held at my HDD)

Edit:

Sorry, this doesn't work for me. 1Password can not write on another Volume. 1 Password gets a write/read deny. i think it has something to do with the sandboxing.

My whole safari directory was held on my HDD instead of my SDD. That is why the safari extension doesn't worked. i moved my Safari directory on my ssd and now the extension works correctly.
  • danco
    danco Senior Member
    You may well not be able to put your whole dropbox on another volume. But can't you put Dropbox folder on the main hard drive wjich contains the 1PW keychain and just has symlinks to folders you want to sync.
  • v.bampton
    v.bampton Junior Member
    Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.