This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

firefox toolbar -- how to turn off?

MostlyMagic
MostlyMagic Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Just purchased this program, loving it. One question: I have the toolbar which I use to get passwords, fill forms, etc. However, when I turn off 1Password to go to lunch or whatever, the toolbar is still there and someone coming by could simply sit down and have access to all my passwords! They could simply go to my bank url, and the password appears and they can log into my account.

So how to do you turn off 1Password on the browser so that someone can't sit down at your browser and access all your financial sites because the passwords are right there automatically, even tho the 1Password program is closed and locked.

Thanks.

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    Hi, welcome to the forums.

You can click on 1P Icon, go down to Lock 1P to lock the 1PW extension at any time. There's also auto-lock settings based on time, screensaver and sleeping. I do recommend turning on your screensaver with a password so that nobody can actually touch your computer when you leave.

I guess what you're looking for is a feature for "Lock all applications if 1PW Client is closed", am I correct?
  • MostlyMagic
    edited December 1969
    Hi Mikhail: Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I guess I thought if I Apple Q'ed the program and closed it, that the toolbar stuff would be locked, but they're still working. So you're saying those will turn off after time/sleeping? Okay, didn't realize that. It looked like I had quit the program but it was still running in the browser, and that was a problem.

And yes, a feature that locks all 1PW stuff when I quit the program is what I was thinking.

Thanks.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    MostlyMagic, please do double check your 1PW Preferences and make sure it is correct. Here's what it look like on mine,

[IMG]http://imgur.com/TB4jy.png[/IMG]

Please do feel comfortable using the software, I recommend you set the "Auto-Lock" settings to fit your need and test it so that you can understand what it does. For example, set the time to 1 min auto lock, open FF and login to some site and wait one minute and try to fill in a login to another site to see what happens. Try sleeping or turning on screensaver and see what happens.
  • MostlyMagic
    edited December 1969
    Very cool. I'm liking this program. Thanks.

Here's another question. My wife is on a PC, she downloaded the beta PC version. Is there a way to synch the database stuff? We use several of the same logins/pwd for our businesses. That could make it easier.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited July 2010
    [quote name='MostlyMagic']Very cool. I'm liking this program. Thanks.

Here's another question. My wife is on a PC, she downloaded the beta PC version. Is there a way to synch the database stuff? We use several of the same logins/pwd for our businesses. That could make it easier.[/QUOTE]

Glad you're liking the software.

Yes, there's a way of syncing the keychain (the db) across different platforms. Refer to this [URL="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/dropbox_syncing.html"]guide[/URL] to set up Dropbox on your Mac. Repeat the process on the PC with Dropbox, then have 1PW on Windows open the keychain in the dropbox folder. Please note that the keychain is encrypted with 128bit AES encryption and Dropbox uses 256bit encryption to store your files, so you're basically encrypted twice to protect your keychain.

Let us know if you need any additional help.
  • MostlyMagic
    edited December 1969
    Great, thank you. Will have to wait until I'm back home Saturday to try this out. I may be back here with more questions then. :-)

Cheers.
  • MostlyMagic
    edited December 1969
    wow, this Dropbox program is awesome! Never knew that existed.

Let me ask you -- I am helping my 90-yr-old dad and would like to be able to access his 1password data file on my computer (in another city). When I get back to my city, I will install 1password on my home machine (I have already installed it on my laptop I have with me). How do I make his 1password data available on my computer but keep it separate from my own?

Know what I'm asking? Is it possible to have multiple 1password data files on your computer? There may be times when I need to help him with stuff and be able to log onto his password protected sites (such as if he were in the hospital for an extended time). Is there a way to do this, keeping his data separate from mine? Thanks.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MostlyMagic']wow, this Dropbox program is awesome! Never knew that existed.

Let me ask you -- I am helping my 90-yr-old dad and would like to be able to access his 1password data file on my computer (in another city). When I get back to my city, I will install 1password on my home machine (I have already installed it on my laptop I have with me). How do I make his 1password data available on my computer but keep it separate from my own?

Know what I'm asking? Is it possible to have multiple 1password data files on your computer? There may be times when I need to help him with stuff and be able to log onto his password protected sites (such as if he were in the hospital for an extended time). Is there a way to do this, keeping his data separate from mine? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, there's no support for multiple keychains usage right now in 1PW, it could come in near future.

However there is a hackish workaround [COLOR="red"]that's not supported[/COLOR] by Agile at all, it is easy to corrupt information like this. The way to do this is to swap out the keychains and renaming them. First, you can create a shared separate folder with your dad using dropbox.

1) First you need to back up both keychains, don't just use dropbox as the backup source, store both somewhere.

2) Now after you do this, you'll need to be careful not to let dropbox sync your dad's keychain as your own, so you'll have to move your keychain (do it in 1PW's preference) to a different non-dropbox folder first, this is important.

3) Once you do this, close 1PW. Go to that folder, rename it to something else like mostlymagic.keychain.backup, than copy your dad's Agile.keychain to that same folder and then open 1PW and you'll be able to view his database.

4) Once you're done with this, you'll have to revert, move your dad's keychain back to the dropbox if you made some changes and you want to sync it back. Rename your backup to the original Agile filename, than open 1PW and have it move back to the dropbox if you want the syncing feature back.

[COLOR="red"]I must state again, this isn't supported by Agile and they're not responsible for any data loss that this can occur. [/COLOR]
  • MostlyMagic
    edited December 1969
    Okay, interesting. Since this would only be for 6 or 8 financial websites, I will probably just write down his logins/passwords before I leave, and then put them into my own 1pass file. Then should I need at some point to access his accounts, I will have them in my own 1pass file, and not get into this hack -- which makes a lot of sense and would probably work, but since I only need a half dozen of his passwords, and he won't be changing them, I'll do it with pen and paper, the old fashioned way. Thanks Mikhail!

Now I am investigating DropBox as a possible way to synch his Quicken files so I could manage that for my parents, should I ever need to... We will see if that's do-able.
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Dont use dropbox with quicken. atleast the .7 branch it will not work and cause problems.

If you want to try it with DB go to the forums and use the .8 beta branch it syncs resource forks that quicken needs.

Edit if he uses a mac (I didnt see where u specified)

I have never had a problem syncing moneywell via dropbox give it a look, unless hes using the win quicken. None the less I would recommend the .8 branch (but as the DB team puts it its beta and standard precautions apply) I still have not had a problem with it. Actually i have been running the betas for a very long time.
  • Old Rogue
    Old Rogue Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MostlyMagic']Let me ask you -- I am helping my 90-yr-old dad and would like to be able to access his 1password data file on my computer (in another city). When I get back to my city, I will install 1password on my home machine (I have already installed it on my laptop I have with me). How do I make his 1password data available on my computer but keep it separate from my own?[/QUOTE][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]

Are you trying to help your dad remotely, i.e. using some version of Screen Sharing? If so, you would have access to his data file on his Mac. If no, why not?

I help maintain my aging father's Mac from hundreds of miles away using Screen Sharing via iChat. I also have it set up to automatically allow me to share his Mac whenever I want, without him having to allow me access. Works beautifully.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MostlyMagic']Know what I'm asking? Is it possible to have multiple 1password data files on your computer? There may be times when I need to help him with stuff and be able to log onto his password protected sites (such as if he were in the hospital for an extended time). Is there a way to do this, keeping his data separate from mine? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you're not using some sort of Screen Sharing as Old Rogue suggested, the easiest way to do this is to create an OS X user account on your computer for your father. The 1Password data file and the Dropbox account are tied to the OS X user account, so you could set your father up with Dropbox and store his 1Password data file there. On your computer, log into his OS X user account and set up Dropbox with his credentials, not yours. This way, any time he makes a change to his 1Password data, your copy of it will be automatically updated when you log into his OS X user account.