This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Why /Applications folder only?

Is there a particular reason why I _must_ install the MAS version to the /Applications folder and _only_ that folder?

Almost every other App (excluding the badly written ones like Adobe & Microsoft ones) can be installed anywhere and moved anywhere.

Being forced to only run 1Password from /Applications is a pain. I like to keep that folder uncluttered and keep my third party apps in ~/Applications.

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    All MAS applications are installed in /Applications. I don't believe we have a choice in where it gets installed.
  • schwa
    schwa Junior Member
    That is incorrect. Once an app is installed to /Applications you can move it anywhere. All applications I've installed via the MAS are fine being moved.

When I launch 1Password after moving it outside /Applications it complains and refuses to run.

You can try it yourself (which perhaps you should have done before posting)
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='schwa' timestamp='1315674673' post='47238']

When I launch 1Password after moving it outside /Applications it complains and refuses to run.

You can try it yourself (which perhaps you should have done before posting)

[/quote]

I didn't say that it could be moved to outside of the /Applications folder. I said that all applications installed by the MAS are installed into /Applications, and we don't have an option to change that behavior.

We can investigate making the actual 1Password application more portable for a future update. For now it does need to reside where MAS installs it.
  • danco
    danco Senior Member
    That's not entirely true. I keep most of my personally installed applications in subfolders of Applications. With at least one program where the developer's latest upgrade was only available on the App Store, it happily installed over the old version.

This was in Snow Leopard, Lion might be different. And the program was in a subfolder of Applications, not in a folder disjoint from Applications.

I was a touch surprised that 3.9 installed in a 1PW folder inside Applications rather than overwriting 1PW 3.6 (I had not upgraded that old 1PW as I had not been using my Lion partition).
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='danco' timestamp='1315675220' post='47248']

That's not entirely true. I keep most of my personally installed applications in subfolders of Applications. With at least one program where the developer's latest upgrade was only available on the App Store, it happily installed over the old version.

[/quote]

Interesting. We're brand new to the MAS, so there may be some tricks we haven't learned yet. Thanks for the feedback.
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    [quote name='schwa' timestamp='1315674370' post='47234']

Is there a particular reason why I _must_ install the MAS version to the /Applications folder and _only_ that folder?

Almost every other App (excluding the badly written ones like Adobe & Microsoft ones) can be installed anywhere and moved anywhere.

Being forced to only run 1Password from /Applications is a pain. I like to keep that folder uncluttered and keep my third party apps in ~/Applications.

[/quote]

Because of the sandbox.

The sandbox has certain permissions for that allow 1Password to talk to 1Password Helper, but only when it is located in the /Applications folder (or a subfolder there).
  • schwa
    schwa Junior Member
    I hope you've filed a Radar on this. Sandboxing shouldn't cause serious reductions in functionality.