This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

3.9 has Folder Amnesia and it's Root cause for lots of other problems...

I believe there are at least five related problems that have, as their source, 3.9's inability to persist folder changes.

[list=1]

[*]Sync Devices do not display accurate sync history, i.e., states last sync was 6 weeks ago even though one was just completed

[*]Sync Devices cannot be deleted. If you delete them from the sidebar, they reappear upon 1P.app relaunch

[*]If you assign a login to a specific folder it only persists for the current session. If you close 1P and relaunch the folder reverts to it's previous state.

[*]If you WI-FI sync with an iOS device after performing #3 above the iOS device "remembers" the folder status the the 1P.app "forgets" and thus creates a "metric sh**t-ton*™ of conflicts because none of the folders match. I originally thought there were some systemic issues with Wi-Fi sync in 3.9 so switched to dropbox for syncing, but now, I believe it's all related to this folder ick.

[*]If you delete a folder from the sidebar it reappears upon relaunching 1P.app (Note...I have tested this one myself, but have read several accounts in the forums and am including it here because it seems to logically connect to the other points above)

[/list]

Can some Agile folks comment on these observations and what the resolution might be?

On a related note, while I'm happy to support your move to the MAS, I wonder how much slower your updates will be because of Apple's glacial approval methodology. Have you spoken to them about this and are you comfortable that you can push updates quickly? It will be quite the bummer to regularly see folks who did not support your move to the MAS getting software fixes days and weeks earlier than do folks on the MAS code branch.

thanks!!

take care,

rwr

Comments

• [quote name='The Doctor' timestamp='1315681803' post='47323']

On a related note, while I'm happy to support your move to the MAS, I wonder how much slower your updates will be because of Apple's glacial approval methodology.[/quote]

Speculating here, but it's going to be a lot slower, I think. But that shouldn't be a problem. The update schedule before the new Browser extensions was pretty slow as well, and that worked fine, right?
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    Thank you for reporting these issues. I am going to switch to "bug fixing mode" tomorrow and hopefully we'll have a new update ready soon.
  • jisforJoe
    jisforJoe Junior Member
    I'm having the same problems with folders. Deleted folders come back on the next session, and items placed in folders are no longer there in the next session.
  • On the bright side, dragging a login into a folder doesn't cause it to be deleted...it just loses the folder association upon starting the next session.

...at least I don't think it does...crap...now I'm going to worry about that
  • Roustem...

Per your note above...any luck in tracking this down?
  • sandysantra
    sandysantra Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    There is no bright side when half of your passwords are trashed and you can longer sync across platforms to the same Dropbox file, as we could reliably for the last year with multiple devices (Air, Pro, iPhone, iPad).

When you are stuck staring at your current (mostly wrong) 1Password DropBox file access by MAS 3.9 on one device, and hand-by-hand updating (by manually typing) entries from a backup from before the MAS purchase and install (a backup accessed on a Mac running 3.8 with all internet connection turned off) then you will see how many painful hours of building your 100s of passwords to the correct credentials are you are facing. You might as well take a week off work.

I have a few SUPER important records, like 17 Apple password files and my Chase online access record, that I know are correct. So every day I use 1Password on ONLY my Air, and the first thing I have to do is when I open it is revert to the backup from late 9/12/2011, which at least has correct data in the aforementioned important records.

I can no longer access 1Password from any other platform or device. It immediately corrupts the Dropbox file.

If I need the correct data for a trashed password, I go to my MacBook Pro, completely disconnect it from the Internet, open 1Password, restore the 1Password backup from BEFORE the MAS purchase I made, find the good data from this backup, and then hand type it into the Air's master Dropbox file.

We have returned to the Stone Age, my friends.

What's worse, is that when all those Dropbox "out of sync" error messages scroll by, what is happening in the background is that the bad Dropbox file records are being grabbed by OS X and used to replaced your Keychain entries. Suddenly your MobileMe mail doesn't work anymore, you can't access the iTunes store, and who knows what else.
  • I was working with 1Password on my iPhone for some month and have tested on Windows and Mac the last days now.

Today I've bought the Windows version and the Mac MAS version.

I was on 3.8.5 before and have deleted it before installing 3.9 as described in the FAQ.

Now I'm having similar problems like described above.

Folder are moved back by itself after some seconds, Tags reappear after deleting them.

The entire system seams to do something in the background and changing data back to what it was before.

It seams I made a mistake buying the MAS version and I should have taken the 3.8.x version that was working all the time.

I hope that the 1Password dropbox file will not get corrupted as I need to use it on Windows and Mac all the time.

Agile Support, please what should I do now to get this fixed.

Please provide an updated working version ASAP.
  • NX70...I think the situation described by SandySanta is much more extreme than that suffered by most others. No consolation to him/her I'm sure.

I don't think there is much risk of Dropbox corruption; I am currently accessing the same DB from four different devices: air, iMac, iPhone, and iPad.

The iOS devices were the most problematic to get working because of sync issues.

Basically, I blew away the app on those devices and, of course, the sandboxed data went with them. I then added the apps back to both iPhone and iPad pointing back to the dropbox data. Since it had to rebuild from scratch, there were no conflicts and so long as I stay away from folders and tags for the time being, things seems tenuously stable.

To SandySanta...all i can say i that I did experience something quite like the nightmare you describe when first installing MAS because of wifi sync conflicts; here's what I did...perhaps it could help.

[list=1]

[*]Delete 1P from all iOS devices

[*]Placed the known, GOOD, agilekeychain file from backup in the dropbox root on a Mac OS X device

[*]Confirm that 1P on that device is operating as expected

[*]Launch 1P on a secondary Mac OS X device and confirm as in step 3 above (Note...should be working fine on two OS X devices now)

[*]Add 1P iPhone app back and link it to Dropbox

[*]Add 1P iPad app back and link it to Dropbox

[/list]

After doing these steps...things settled down for me...hope it does so for you as well.
  • sandysantra
    sandysantra Junior Member
    You forgot the part you put in the other topic:

[quote]But also be sure that 1P Agent is NOT running around and that it isn't being called from your ~/library/launch services folder. You should only have 1P.app and 1P Helper running in Activity Monitor.[/quote]

In any case, NONE of this is mentioned in the FAQ.
  • [quote name='The Doctor' timestamp='1315919486' post='48562']

I don't think there is much risk of Dropbox corruption; I am currently accessing the same DB from four different devices: air, iMac, iPhone, and iPad.

The iOS devices were the most problematic to get working because of sync issues.

[/quote]

Yes you are right SandySanta's problems are extreme.

I hope you are right that that the DropBox file will stay intact.

Currently it's synchronizing between iPhone, Mac and Windows with no error messages and if I do not touch the Folders and Tags it should work (cross fingers).
  • shaggy
    shaggy Junior Member
    I'm also having the problem with deleted folders and tags reappearing. I also can't delete synced devices.
  • chmoss
    chmoss Junior Member
    [QUOTE] Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for reporting these issues. I am going to switch to "bug fixing mode" tomorrow and hopefully we'll have a new update ready soon. [/QUOTE]

Don't you think you should come out of big fixing mode for long enough to tell us when we can expect a fix? And by the way, don't you think it would be good business practice to remove the app from the app store until you have a fix for the install process when using Dropbox? I managed to recover - but many will not be able to do so!

Also "hopefully" is a tad weak when it come to fixing bugs that makes your product unusable!