This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion Official Safari 5 extz

woodenbrain
woodenbrain Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
So, even with latest version of 1P & Safari 5, it seems it's easy to "loose" the 1P toolbar button after enabling extensions and so forth. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier in the log run now to migrate the plugin to an official extension?

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    Hi woodenbrain,

There are hints of it around the forums and some are able to get a sneak peek of it at WWDC. There's no timeframe right now for it but it's coming and I have no additional information to share with you on that. Thank you for your suggestion on this, please continue to provide us with any other thoughts that you might have.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='woodenbrain']So, even with latest version of 1P & Safari 5, it seems it's easy to "loose" the 1P toolbar button after enabling extensions and so forth. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier in the log run now to migrate the plugin to an official extension?[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing what you mean by losing the 1P button. Nothing happened to my 1P button when I enabled extensions. Maybe restarting Safari will do it. I'll check in a minute. We do plan to release an "official" extension eventually, but there is no definite timeframe for when that will be available.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='<Rob />']I'm not seeing what you mean by losing the 1P button. Nothing happened to my 1P button when I enabled extensions. Maybe restarting Safari will do it. I'll check in a minute. We do plan to release an "official" extension eventually, but there is no definite timeframe for when that will be available.[/QUOTE]

I believe he might be referring to enabling other extensions/plugins that could break the 1PW due to the "unofficial" plugin design, like Evernote have done in the recent past. He believes that by providing the official Safari extension support, the issue could go away for once.
  • RobYoder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MikhailT']I believe he might be referring to enabling other extensions/plugins that could break the 1PW due to the "unofficial" plugin design, like Evernote have done in the recent past. He believes that by providing the official Safari extension support, the issue could go away for once.[/QUOTE]

Ah, could be. I guess the term "enabling extensions" through me off. What you said is what we're hoping, too. But again, it's going to be a while before we can completely migrate to the new extension standard.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='<Rob />']But again, it's going to be a while before we can completely migrate to the new extension standard.[/QUOTE]

Might AWS be making an official statement about the status of that future Safari 1P extension, e.g. a blog post that can be easily referenced when people inquire about it? Seems a natural followup to:

[url=http://blog.agile.ws/post/674703181/safari-5-arrives-and-1password-3-2-is-live]Safari 5 arrives and 1Password 3.2 is live[/url]
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']Might AWS be making an official statement about the status of that future Safari 1P extension, e.g. a blog post that can be easily referenced when people inquire about it? Seems a natural followup to:

[url=http://blog.agile.ws/post/674703181/safari-5-arrives-and-1password-3-2-is-live]Safari 5 arrives and 1Password 3.2 is live[/url][/QUOTE]

It might show up or it might not in a blog post, a tweet or even the newsletter, who knows. People do love the mystery and surprises that could occur, after all that's what Apple marketing is all about.

My personal opinion is that there's so many ways that Agile can go with this, it all depends on the current status of development and knowing Agile, the status is radically different everyday. That is the nature of development and marketing together.
  • RobYoder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']Might AWS be making an official statement about the status of that future Safari 1P extension, e.g. a blog post that can be easily referenced when people inquire about it? Seems a natural followup to:

[url=http://blog.agile.ws/post/674703181/safari-5-arrives-and-1password-3-2-is-live]Safari 5 arrives and 1Password 3.2 is live[/url][/QUOTE]

At the moment, no. Since only people registered in Apple's developer program have seen it, we aren't getting very many inquiries. We will definitely post something in the future, maybe when inquiries increase, or maybe not until it's ready to release.

[quote name='MikhailT']It might show up or it might not in a blog post, a tweet or even the newsletter, who knows. People do love the mystery and surprises that could occur, after all that's what Apple marketing is all about.

My personal opinion is that there's so many ways that Agile can go with this, it all depends on the current status of development and knowing Agile, the status is radically different everyday. That is the nature of development and marketing together.[/QUOTE]

So true. :-) We don't even know yet how this will turn out. ;-)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Okay, you've both convinced me it's premature to post more about the Safari 1P extension status… for now. :)

Thanks for the followup.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']Okay, you've both convinced me it's premature to post more about the Safari 1P extension status… for now. :)

Thanks for the followup.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your understanding. When there's more to share we will do so!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']When there's more to share we will do so![/QUOTE]

As always, and I wouldn't want/expect it to be any different… which is why I intentionally phrased my original post as a question rather than an explicit suggestion. :)