This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion Request: Copy only the password with Cmd-C instead of the whole entry

jtimberman
jtimberman Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
I'm very keyboard driven in my computer usage, and it would be nice to be able to copy just the password from an entry rather than clicking on the password field. Other than this minor issue, I totally dig 1password and switched over from using KeePass :-).

Thanks for the great software!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010
    Copy (Command-C) needs to operate on a selection, which (to me) makes sense to be the entry by default rather than a specific field (e.g. password) in it. Instead of changing the selection to the password then copying it simply clicking to copy it ought to be faster/easier. :)

Would being able to change the selected field using the keyboard, then invoking Copy, help you?
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jtimberman']I'm very keyboard driven in my computer usage, and it would be nice to be able to copy just the password from an entry rather than clicking on the password field. Other than this minor issue, I totally dig 1password and switched over from using KeePass :-).

Thanks for the great software![/QUOTE]

Hi, welcome to the forums.

We're glad to see that you're enjoying 1Password despite this minor inconvenience toward you. I was wondering what your workflow is for this password copying since you might not be aware of all the integration features that 1PW has like the browser's integration and Go and Fill. Are you using the passwords for web sites or something else?

If you give us an idea of what you're doing, it helps us understand your needs behind this feature request.

Thanks,
  • jtimberman
    jtimberman Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi!

I use passwords / passphrases in Terminal.app for a number of programs including:

* GPG

* SSH

* OpenVPN

Since my use of command-line terminals is built on 15 years of keyboard driven habits, the requirement to move my hand to the mouse breaks the flow of:

* Cmd-Tab from Terminal -> 1Password

* Cmd-F to search ("GPG", "SSH", "OpenVPN", etc).

* Cmd-C to copy

* Cmd-Tab 1Password -> Terminal

* Cmd-V to paste

When I used KeePass, this is the muscle habit I developed.

I'm good with a configurable field being the copied value, if the password isn't the default.

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited July 2010
    [quote name='jtimberman']Hi!

I use passwords / passphrases in Terminal.app for a number of programs including:

* GPG

* SSH

* OpenVPN

Since my use of command-line terminals is built on 15 years of keyboard driven habits, the requirement to move my hand to the mouse breaks the flow of:

* Cmd-C to copy

* Cmd-V to paste

When I used KeePass, this is the muscle habit I developed.

I'm good with a configurable field being the copied value, if the password isn't the default.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi, thank you for sharing your workflow, this would help the developers understand and consider this request.

Would something like shift-cmd-C work for you? It does make sense to have a keyboard shortcut to copy the password right away. I'm wondering if shift+cmd+L for login and shift+cmd+P for password might be acceptable?

Here's a longer workaround that might work for you but very risky and not recommended by Agile at all. When you select the entry, cmd-e will enter the edit mode and you can tab to the password field. The biggest problem with this is that you can easily make mistakes since you're editing the fields. I don't recommend this at all.
  • jtimberman
    jtimberman Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Shift-Cmd-C is preferred, but Shift-Cmd-P would be fine as well. I personally wouldn't need to copy a login in any of the places I listed.

Indeed, editing the entry to tab through and copy the entry is error-prone and I'd rather use the mouse :).
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jtimberman']Shift-Cmd-C is preferred, but Shift-Cmd-P would be fine as well. I personally wouldn't need to copy a login in any of the places I listed.

Indeed, editing the entry to tab through and copy the entry is error-prone and I'd rather use the mouse :).[/QUOTE]

Great, I'll see if I can get any more information on this for you from the developers if at all possible.

Thank you for sharing with us,
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010
    [quote name='jtimberman']…, the requirement to move my hand to the mouse breaks the flow of:

* Cmd-C to copy

* Cmd-V to paste

When I used KeePass, this is the muscle habit I developed.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting because I wouldn't expect Cmd-C to be active right after Cmd-F and some search text has been typed because at that point it's typical in OS X apps (at least those I use) for focus to be in the search field, with the insertion point after the typed text and nothing selected. Does that make sense? It's easier to do than describe. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MikhailT']Would something like shift-cmd-C work for you? It does make sense to have a keyboard shortcut to copy the password right away. I'm wondering if shift+cmd+L for login and shift+cmd+P for password might be acceptable?[/quote]

My suggestion and/or personal preference would be for any 1P-specific copy commands to be available under a main app menu (at least) without any default shortcuts assigned, allowing users to choose which shortcuts they want to assign (if any) using System Preferences. It's a more minimalist, non-imposing perspective, i.e. don't make that choice for me. A counter-argument is that having default shortcuts makes them immediately available without fussing with preferences and plenty of people aren't aware they can add/overrride shortcuts that way.

This matters to me less with 1P because it's not using an overabundance of custom shortcuts, compared with other apps (e.g. DEVONthink Pro) that do.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Btw, sorry if my original reply seemed too blunt or insensitive to the request. I'm actually keyboard-centric, too, and can imagine making occasional use of a "Copy Password" command/shortcut if it was added. :)
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']I'm actually keyboard-centric, too, and can imagine making occasional use of a "Copy Password" command/shortcut if it was added. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting us know it could be useful to you. We know our application is used in different ways than we can even imagine so it's good to hear how a keyboard-centric user might like to see some things that we've made graphically "clickable" might need some help too.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    I'm still curious to understand more about how Cmd-C worked in the flow jtimberman posted.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']That's interesting because I wouldn't expect Cmd-C to be active right after Cmd-F and some search text has been typed because at that point it's typical in OS X apps (at least those I use) for focus to be in the search field, with the insertion point after the typed text and nothing selected. Does that make sense? It's easier to do than describe. :)[/QUOTE]

You'd just have to hit tab twice to get back to the item. Unfortunately, I've recently been noticing a lot of issues with tabbing through different sections of 1Password. I hope to get them documented internally so that we can correct it and make 1Password as equally keyboard-accessible as mouse/click-based. Being one, I know laptop users love keyboard accessibility. :-)
  • sifutommy
    sifutommy Member
    edited December 1969
    I'd like to see this added as well. Personally, I see little use for copying an entire entry in 1PW, so I would cast my vote for having the default Cmd-C shortcut copy just the password field, and having the alternate shortcut Cmd-(Shift|Option)-C copy the entry, simply due to the fact that the former is likely to get a lot more use.
  • RobYoder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sifutommy']I'd like to see this added as well. Personally, I see little use for copying an entire entry in 1PW, so I would cast my vote for having the default Cmd-C shortcut copy just the password field, and having the alternate shortcut Cmd-(Shift|Option)-C copy the entry, simply due to the fact that the former is likely to get a lot more use.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the vote!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Even though it's not strictly a system-reservered shortcut I suggest not changing Command-C behavior. The Keyboard Shortcuts section of [url=http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines//XHIGUserInput/XHIGUserInput.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000361-CHDIGFBH]Apple Human Interface Guidelines: User Input[/url] states:

[SIZE="3"][I]In addition to the keyboard shortcuts reserved by the system, there are a large number of keyboard shortcuts that have a well established meaning, such as Command-S for Save and Command-Q for Quit. Users accustomed to running applications in Mac OS X expect these keyboard shortcuts to be available and to mean the same thing in each application they use. An application that overrides these shortcuts, such as one that uses Command-Q for a Query command instead of Quit, runs the risk of unnecessarily confusing and frustrating its users.

These common keyboard shortcuts are not reserved by the system, but they are highly recommended for applications that offer the associated commands. If your application does not offer all of these common commands, be sure you don't override these keyboard shortcuts and associate them with other commands your application does implement. A complete list of both system-reserved and commonly used keyboard shortcuts in Mac OS X is provided in [url=http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines//XHIGKeyboardShortcuts/XHIGKeyboardShortcuts.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002725-CHDIGFBH]“Keyboard Shortcuts Quick Reference”[/url][/I]

[/SIZE]

That would also rule out Shift-Command-C, commonly the shortcut for Show Colors, although that could a more acceptable compromise. Recently noticed it used for Copy Password in some other app though can't find it again this morning .

Referring back to my earlier comment:

[SIZE="3"][I]My suggestion and/or personal preference would be for any 1P-specific copy commands to be available under a main app menu (at least) without any default shortcuts assigned, allowing users to choose which shortcuts they want to assign (if any) using System Preferences.[/I]

[/SIZE]

That's still my favored opinion unless/until a convincing enough counter-argument changes it, which my own:

[SIZE="3"][I]A counter-argument is that having default shortcuts makes them immediately available without fussing with preferences and plenty of people aren't aware they can add/overrride shortcuts that way.[/I]

[/SIZE]

… doesn't. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='<Rob />']You'd just have to hit tab twice to get back to the item.[/quote]

I don't follow. I was asking what the active selection is [i]immediately[/i] after the Cmd-F and some search text is typed, right before invoking Cmd-C. There's no Tab key (or other shortcut/command) usage between the Cmd-F and Cmd-C steps (2 and 3) in jtimberman's workflow.

[quote]Unfortunately, I've recently been noticing a lot of issues with tabbing through different sections of 1Password. I hope to get them documented internally so that we can correct it and make 1Password as equally keyboard-accessible as mouse/click-based.[/quote]

Plenty of OS X apps suffer from Tab usage confusion and unpredictability. Also, it's often difficult or impossible to visually locate current input focus after tapping Tab a few times within certain apps or when switching between them. Simple test: try finding where you last left input focus, without [i]changing[/i] it, when returning to your screen after a break.

[quote]Being one, I know laptop users love keyboard accessibility. :-)[/QUOTE]

I certainly appreciate it during my wireless keyboard usage. :)
  • RobYoder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']I don't follow. I was asking what the active selection is [i]immediately[/i] after the Cmd-F and some search text is typed, right before invoking Cmd-C. There's no Tab key (or other shortcut/command) usage between the Cmd-F and Cmd-C steps (2 and 3) in jtimberman's workflow.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. When search text is typed, obviously the cursor and focus is still in the search box. I'm just saying that a user would have to insert two tabs (or a return) between step Cmd-F and Cmd-C in order to move focus back to the item.

[quote name='sjk']Plenty of OS X apps suffer from Tab usage confusion and unpredictability. Also, it's often difficult or impossible to visually locate current input focus after tapping Tab a few times within certain apps or when switching between them. Simple test: try finding where you last left input focus, without [i]changing[/i] it, when returning to your screen after a break.[/QUOTE]

Usually, that test is quite easy in 1Password. If it's the Search field, it will have a blue focus highlight and a blinking cursor. If it's the sidebar item, the selected [sidebar] item will be blue (gray if it's not in focus). If it's the 1Password item list, the selected item will be bright blue (dull blue if it's not in focus).

I have a question for you as a user. When you are tabbing through, would you prefer to tab through each field in the detail view (when not editing) before getting focus back to the search box or just go straight from the list item to the search box? I'm somewhat torn between the two ideas, because in one sense, it'd be nice to be able to copy a field completely from the keyboard, but in another sense, I don't want the tab cycle to be that long. Search to sidebar to item list and repeat seems like a good idea. Maybe Opt-tab or Ctrl-tab could move focus to the detail view? Or just use Edit and tab through the fields. :-)
  • RobYoder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']Even though it's not strictly a system-reservered shortcut I suggest not changing Command-C behavior.

That would also rule out Shift-Command-C, commonly the shortcut for Show Colors, although that could a more acceptable compromise. Recently noticed it used for Copy Password in some other app though can't find it again this morning .

Referring back to my earlier comment:

[SIZE="3"][I]My suggestion and/or personal preference would be for any 1P-specific copy commands to be available under a main app menu (at least) without any default shortcuts assigned, allowing users to choose which shortcuts they want to assign (if any) using System Preferences.[/I]

[/SIZE]

That's still my favored opinion unless/until a convincing enough counter-argument changes it.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you here. If we add this functionality at all, it should be an option for the users who know about it and want it, not something that could potentially confuse users who didn't expect to be copying a password to their clipboard (remember that can be dangerous, especially if you don't know you're doing it).

Thanks for the feedback!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='<Rob />']When search text is typed, obviously the cursor and focus is still in the search box.[/quote]

Right, at least in most apps. I did spot an exception recently, where certain text was selected in a main app window [i]during[/i] a toolbar field search. Wasn't paying close attention at the time so I've forgotten exact details (and the app). I'd never get anything done by allowing ongoing usability anomalies/inconsistencies to distract me too much, while appreciating the effort of folks like Pierre Igot @ [url=http://www.betalogue.com/]Betalogue[/url] who elaborate (and sometimes rant) about certain ones I may have also encountered. Hopefully no want wants developers getting too sloppy with that sort of stuff. :)

[quote]I'm just saying that a user would have to insert two tabs (or a return) between step Cmd-F and Cmd-C in order to move focus back to the item.[/quote]

Mmkay. :)

[quote]Usually, that test is quite easy in 1Password.[/quote]

I agree, even when it's a bit subtle for my eyes. Here, after launching 1P (currently in Shelves Layout) the focus is in the toolbar search field. First Tab tap moves it to the sidebar (which highlights), next Tab moves it to the shelf pane (which highlights), and another Tab returns to the search field. It never focuses on the detail pane. So, that scenario passes the "where am I?" test 100% - cool.

During that test I happened to notice (shame on me) Copy and Cut are active when focus is in the sidebar and shelf. Neither do anything when invoked, except for Cut when in the shelf -- it removes the selected item (as expected, and fortunately Paste restores it because Undo is inactive there). The former is an example of violating commands/shortcuts having context-sensitive enabling/disabling.

I'm glad to report more cases like that to AWS when I catch 'em, though won't promise to thoroughly analyze them even if it's always tempting. :)

[quote]When you are tabbing through, would you prefer to tab through each field in the detail view (when not editing) before getting focus back to the search box or just go straight from the list item to the search box? I'm somewhat torn between the two ideas, because in one sense, it'd be nice to be able to copy a field completely from the keyboard, but in another sense, I don't want the tab cycle to be that long.[/quote]

For now I prefer the shorter Tab cycle, ignoring the detail pane unless explicitly wanted, e.g. with:

[quote]Maybe Opt-tab or Ctrl-tab could move focus to the detail view?[/quote]

I'll answer with more questions since I haven't thought about it until now:

Would Option-Tab be used both to enter (regardless of current focus) and exit (returning to original focus)? If only the former, then would Tab (and/or arrow keys) be used for field/value navigation? I'll leave it at that.

But, silly me, I had to stumble into something else that seems worth mentioning (apologies if previously reported):

Found it's possible to get a pseudo-focus in the details pane by single/double-clicking on certain fields/values under All Fields after disclosing them. For example, a click on username or its value does it. Also password, but not its hidden value since hovering over it brings up the Copy thingamajig…

<tangent>

and double-clicking [i]that[/i] unexpectedly opens the item editor(!), as does double-clicking in other "hot spots" in the pane. It's not obvious to me where those double-click hot spots are and being surprised when the editor opens (without an explicit Cancel button; that's been another discussion) is a challenge in usability. (sweat)

</tangent>

After a non-editing clicking brings the focus somewhere in the details pane (indicated by it not being "highlighted" anywhere else) Cut/Copy/Paste are all active but don't appear to have any effect. Whoops? :confused:

From there a Tab tap moves safely to the toolbar search field, whew!

[quote]Or just use Edit and tab through the fields. :-)[/QUOTE]

Yikes! :eek:

But at least the focus location there is usually (but not always; tap Tab enough and it goes into limbo again) obvious.

Must stop now.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='<Rob />']…, not something that could potentially confuse users who didn't expect to be copying a password to their clipboard (remember that can be dangerous, especially if you don't know you're doing it).[/quote]

Indeed.

I think 1P ought to be relatively conservative with features capable of handling sensitive information. Doesn't mean it's impossible to implement cleverly useful ones… just minimize chances they'll have negative, unwanted side effects.

[quote]Thanks for the feedback![/QUOTE]

And for yours!
  • RobYoder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sjk']For now I prefer the shorter Tab cycle, ignoring the detail pane unless explicitly wanted, e.g. with:

I'll answer with more questions since I haven't thought about it until now:

Would Option-Tab be used both to enter (regardless of current focus) and exit (returning to original focus)? If only the former, then would Tab (and/or arrow keys) be used for field/value navigation? I'll leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

I think I agree. The more I thought about it, it should be a short tab cycle by default. I think I also agree with your implementation idea for the detail view. Opt-Tab to enter detail pane, tab to get through, Opt-Tab to get out.

[quote name='sjk']But, silly me, I had to stumble into something else that seems worth mentioning (apologies if previously reported):

Found it's possible to get a pseudo-focus in the details pane by single/double-clicking on certain fields/values under All Fields after disclosing them. For example, a click on username or its value does it. Also password, but not its hidden value since hovering over it brings up the Copy thingamajig…

<tangent>

and double-clicking [i]that[/i] unexpectedly opens the item editor(!), as does double-clicking in other "hot spots" in the pane. It's not obvious to me where those double-click hot spots are and being surprised when the editor opens (without an explicit Cancel button; that's been another discussion) is a challenge in usability. (sweat)

</tangent>

After a non-editing clicking brings the focus somewhere in the details pane (indicated by it not being "highlighted" anywhere else) Cut/Copy/Paste are all active but don't appear to have any effect. Whoops? :confused:

From there a Tab tap moves safely to the toolbar search field, whew!

Yikes! :eek:

But at least the focus location there is usually (but not always; tap Tab enough and it goes into limbo again) obvious.

Must stop now.[/QUOTE]

Yep, most of this and more is what I meant when I said tab inconsistencies before.

Re: tangent, If you double-click on any area that is not a text field or image, it should open in Edit view. This was designed intentionally in 1Password 3.

Thanks!
  • Is there any timeline to add a keyboard shortcut to copy a password in 1Password? This seems like a huge oversight to me, and I kind of regret my recent 1Password purchase, due to this missing feature. My fault for not trying the app out thoroughly. I also come as a former KeePassX and current terminal user. I may have to return to KeePassX.
  • [quote name='bobics' timestamp='1283904159' post='10665']

Is there any timeline to add a keyboard shortcut to copy a password in 1Password?[/quote]

AWS has been criticized for failing to meet publicly announced timelines with certain features, e.g. MobileMe synching, and it doesn't bother me if don't make those types of estimates again. I'm satisfied with public betas providing clues to what's possibly upcoming in future non-beta releases.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    [quote name='bobics' timestamp='1283904159' post='10665']

Is there any timeline to add a keyboard shortcut to copy a password in 1Password? This seems like a huge oversight to me, and I kind of regret my recent 1Password purchase, due to this missing feature. My fault for not trying the app out thoroughly. I also come as a former KeePassX and current terminal user. I may have to return to KeePassX.

[/quote]

Presently this is not something we're specifically working on. Thank you for letting us know this could be useful to you.
  • Rooney
    Rooney Junior Member
    That is disappointing that this is not currently being worked on. This is the one feature that keeps me from migrating to 1Password from KeePassX. Since I always work heavily at the command line, the ability to have quick keyboard shortcuts (⌘b: username and ⌘c: password in KeePassX) is invaluable and a show stopper for moving to another password manager.

What is(are) the intended use case(s) for the current copy functionality with ⌘c? Perhaps I am just overlooking something obvious as to why a copy of the entire record would ever be useful.
  • tamino
    tamino Member
    This could also be a work-around for the Flash problems!

Unfortunately, I've been encountering more and more sites using Flash login pages with no HTML alternatives. Some way to get a copy of the password (and perhaps the username) in the paste buffer with just a few keystrokes would be a major time saver.

If you could grabbing the password with a keystroke, I would also like to see a similar ability in the mouse context menu - perhaps a "Copy password" in addition to the "Fill Login" context menu item - in other words, position the cursor on that part of the page that isn't part of the swf, do a ctl-mouse-click. select "1Password" and then "Copy Password" is an additional choice. At that point, I have the password, so I just go to the password field and "Command v" and I'm in!