This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Missing Features on the iPhone

alexo
alexo Junior Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
Hi,

as a new user of 1Password on the Mac and on the iPhone I want to give you some feedback. You've probably heard it before, but I hope it will motivate you to tackle these issues first if you hear them again from someone else :-)

1. The idea of the unlock code is nice because it's a pain to type the secure master password. However I consider the 4 digit unlock code to be not-so-secure. Maybe it's possible to find a solution which is more secure and easy to use (give the user a choice of the number of digits? or maybe something more elegant?).

2. No folder and no tags are synchronized to the iPhone (or at least not visible). That's bad because especially due to the small screen size it's harder to find items. But at least they're all there.

3. Did I miss the password generator on the iPhone? I've always had trouble making up good passwords and 1P/Mac saved me from passwords like "millerbeer", "busstop" or "marlboro" ;-). I guess I will create most new accounts on the mac, still it might come handy one day.

4. I can't find any attachments on the iPhone. Now that's really bad: What I wanted is to carry around a copy of my passport, flight tickets, TAN lists, traveller checks etc. … well, of everything in my wallet - but attachments are not there! Attachments could also greatly simplify the process of entering some data: just take a picture of the document.

That's it so far. I've sorted the issues in increasing urgency, so #1 would be nice, #4 is very important for me. Thanks for the great program! And let me know if I've simply missed a feature (I'm new to the iPhone, too).

Regards,

Alexander

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Hi Alexander,

[quote name='alexo']Hi,

as a new user of 1Password on the Mac and on the iPhone I want to give you some feedback. You've probably heard it before, but I hope it will motivate you to tackle these issues first if you hear them again from someone else :-)[/QUOTE]

We always like hearing from our users on how we can improve 1Password, the more we hear the more we know what we need to work on.

[QUOTE]1. The idea of the unlock code is nice because it's a pain to type the secure master password. However I consider the 4 digit unlock code to be not-so-secure. Maybe it's possible to find a solution which is more secure and easy to use (give the user a choice of the number of digits? or maybe something more elegant?).[/QUOTE]

The unlock code was always designed as a first level of security and as you'll probably have noticed items created on the Mac also require you to enter your master password on the iPhone before actually seeing the information stored. So, at least by default, the unlock code will allow you to see the list of entries but nothing more. This form of unlock code is standard amongst a lot of iPhone apps, including the OS itself, Dropbox and various other apps, so we felt that a common approach would be the best option.

This may be something we look into in the future, but for now we recommend that any data you consider sensitive be set to 'High Security' if they aren't already.

[QUOTE]2. No folder and no tags are synchronized to the iPhone (or at least not visible). That's bad because especially due to the small screen size it's harder to find items. But at least they're all there.

[/QUOTE]

Folders syncing is a feature of 1Password Pro, so it's possible you're currently using the standard version right now. At the moment this only syncs standard folders and not Smart Folders and Tags, however this is something we're looking into for a future update to 1Password Pro.

[QUOTE]3. Did I miss the password generator on the iPhone? I've always had trouble making up good passwords and 1P/Mac saved me from passwords like "millerbeer", "busstop" or "marlboro" ;-). I guess I will create most new accounts on the mac, still it might come handy one day.

[/QUOTE]

There is a password generator built into 1Password on the iPhone, just go to More > Passwords and hit the '+' button to create a new password which you can then copy and paste into a new account or login. We're looking into how to possibly integrate this into the new account and login creation process as this would certainly be an easier option.

[QUOTE]4. I can't find any attachments on the iPhone. Now that's really bad: What I wanted is to carry around a copy of my passport, flight tickets, TAN lists, traveller checks etc. … well, of everything in my wallet - but attachments are not there! Attachments could also greatly simplify the process of entering some data: just take a picture of the document.

[/QUOTE]

Attachments has always been a tricky one, they are synced to the iPhone, but not viewable right now. One of the main reasons for this has been in how to correctly display them, and of course not all attachments can be viewed on the iPhone due to limitations with iOS.

We've had a lot of requests about being able to take a photo using the iPhone's camera and store this with a wallet item, for example, but this was never really the intention of 1Password. The idea was allow you to store the details from your passport, or flight tickets, rather than the items themselves. Again, this is something we are looking into for a future update of 1Password.

Overall, there's a lot of suggestions that we get, but the honest truth is that we're a small company with fairly limited development resources which means that we won't always be able to get every feature into the app, and the last thing we want to do is to rush anything and make 1Password bloated and complicated.

Hope that helps,
  • alexo
    alexo Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='stu']

Attachments has always been a tricky one, they are synced to the iPhone, but not viewable right now. One of the main reasons for this has been in how to correctly display them, and of course not all attachments can be viewed on the iPhone due to limitations with iOS.

[/QUOTE]

So the attachments are there already (and not only in the 1P Pro edition)? Then make them accessible, I guess that most of the attachments are pdf files (or could be printed to pdf). Or add the possibility to mail them (at the users responsability) or download them. This is a feature I really had expected and I'm disappointed that it's not there.

[QUOTE]

We've had a lot of requests about being able to take a photo using the iPhone's camera and store this with a wallet item, for example, but this was never really the intention of 1Password. The idea was allow you to store the details from your passport, or flight tickets, rather than the items themselves. Again, this is something we are looking into for a future update of 1Password.

[/QUOTE]

That was just an additional idea of what could be done with attachments, a nice-to-have extra feature. If it doesn't fit, if it's too complicated, then drop the idea.

[QUOTE]

Overall, there's a lot of suggestions that we get, but the honest truth is that we're a small company with fairly limited development resources which means that we won't always be able to get every feature into the app, and the last thing we want to do is to rush anything and make 1Password bloated and complicated.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that an extra field for attachments would make 1P bloated or complicated...

How about some transparency in the development process, e.g. what are you guys working on now, what can be expected in the upcoming release, what is definitely not coming in foreseeable future? Not to guarantee anything, just to let your users see what you're doing.

[QUOTE]

Hope that helps,[/QUOTE]

It does, thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='alexo']So the attachments are there already (and not only in the 1P Pro edition)? Then make them accessible, I guess that most of the attachments are pdf files (or could be printed to pdf). Or add the possibility to mail them (at the users responsability) or download them. This is a feature I really had expected and I'm disappointed that it's not there.[/QUOTE]

I'm really sorry, I was thinking about this last night after signing off and I realised I'd got confused, attachments aren't synced at all, it's identities that are synced but not displayed.

Attachments are something we're looking into as I mentioned earlier, but the original 1Password app for the iPhone was created in the days of 1Password 2, which didn't feature attachments at all, and as yet we haven't the opportunity to properly bring them across to the iOS apps.

You're right that PDFs could easily be viewed, as could images and text, but I'm not sure about the feasibility of other attachments at the moment. Another issue is down to the sync process itself, obviously the sync process is designed to be quick and simple, and depending on the file size of an attachment this could take far longer to sync than most users would like.

[QUOTE]How about some transparency in the development process, e.g. what are you guys working on now, what can be expected in the upcoming release, what is definitely not coming in foreseeable future? Not to guarantee anything, just to let your users see what you're doing.[/QUOTE]

Here at AWS we try to be as open as possible with our development process, but at the same time we need to maintain some element of secrecy, particularly on public forums like this and in some respects we need to actual focus on the development of the features without, and this does happen, receiving a lot of emails along the lines of 'Is it ready yet?!'. There are also times when features need to be delayed due to 3rd party issues, as is the case with Dropbox syncing right now.

We often give sneak peaks of new features on our blog over at [url]http://blog.agile.ws[/url] and in the case of 1Password for Mac, our Betas are available to everyone and can be turned on by going to 1Password > Preferences > Updates and checking 'Include Beta versions'. With our iOS development it's harder to open this up as we only have a limited number of devices we can setup on our development profile for Beta testing, so we have to keep this fairly closed.

When we comment on feature requests, we'll always try to make it clear if this is something we're working on but can't give a timeframe on, or we'll say we have no plans for this at the moment.

Hope that makes sense, again I apologise about the mix up with attachments.
  • alexo
    alexo Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    [quote name='stu']I'm really sorry, I was thinking about this last night after signing off and I realised I'd got confused, attachments aren't synced at all, it's identities that are synced but not displayed.

[/QUOTE]

Could it be that you've been confused in more than one way? Today I found the folders in 1P touch - just went to "more" - they synced and can be accessed. Just the standard, not the pro edition. That's the good part.

Bad part: When I turned on my iPhone first time today 1P was still running and without entering any code I could access all passwords which are set to "low security". Yes, [B]all contents including the passwords[/B]. So the unlock code is not a "not-so-secure" protection as I thought - it's no protection at all!

Isn't that a complete failure on your part: a program which is supposed to protect my passwords does not fulfill its only task? Talking about transparency: What are your testing procedures? How can such a security gap wide as the Grand Canyon pass unnoticed? Do you even have formal testing?

I can reproduce this behavior. Just switch the iPhone to stand by, turn it on again half an hour later. As you may have noticed I'm angry and my confidence in 1Password is vanishing...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='alexo']Could it be that you've been confused in more than one way? Today I found the folders in 1P touch - just went to "more" - they synced and can be accessed. Just the standard, not the pro edition. That's the good part.[/QUOTE]

Well that's strange, folders are meant to be a 1Password Pro only feature, I'll have to get the devs to give me a build of the standard version to check this one out. Having said that, can you go to More > Settings > About and tell me what version you're currently running?

[QUOTE]Bad part: When I turned on my iPhone first time today 1P was still running and I could access all passwords which are set to "low security". Yes, [B]all contents including the passwords[/B]. So the unlock code is not a "not-so-secure" protection as I thought - it's no protection at all! Isn't that a complete failure on your part: a program which is supposed to protect my passwords does not fulfill its only task? Talking about transparency: What are your testing procedures? How can such a security gap wide as the Grand Canyon pass unnoticed? Do you even have formal testing?

I can reproduce this behavior. As you may have noticed I'm angry and my confidence in 1Password is vanishing..[/QUOTE]

You're right, this is a screw up, we're not sure how it got past the testing but sadly it did. What's happening here is that 1Password is failing to properly auto-lock when the screen is locked by hitting the power button. The developers are working hard to fix this as we speak and it should be resolved in the next update which is due very soon.

You have every right to be angry, we're not going to deny such a flaw, but what we're advising users to do right now is to quit 1Password before leaving the device, just until we've fixed the issue.
  • alexo
    alexo Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    My version number says 3.1.1 from Apr 15. If folders are compiled in by mistake, please leave them there. And go kick your devs ;-).
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='alexo']My version number says 3.1.1 from Apr 15. If folders are compiled in by mistake, please leave them there. And go kick your devs ;-).[/QUOTE]

I'll see what we can do on that one, no promises though. Not sure I really want to kick the devs, after all they do pay my wages, how about a stern talking to instead :-)

I know you're frustrated about all of this, but I hope we can restore your confidence with the next version of 1Password.