This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How to keep a history of passwords

alexo
alexo Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Hi,

I'm just consolidating all my passwords, i.e. replacing the old ones with good ones generated by 1P. Sometimes 1P asks me to update an existing entry, sometimes it's replacing it. In the first case I have a history of the change: date and old password - but not always. On some pages yes, on others no. Why's that? Am I doing something wrong? Can I add or edit these entries by hand?

Regards,

Alexander

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited July 2010
    Hi, welcome to the forums.

The Password History only works when you're using the browser integration to update the password. Replacing does not store previous password nor does manually editing the password yourself. There's a bit of more detailed information available at this [URL="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/change_password.html"]guide[/URL]. As mentioned in the guide, there's a second fallback for new password, all generated passwords (by 1PW's Pass Generator) is stored in Generated Password Section which can be turned on by going to 1PW's Preferences and in General tab, there's a checkbox for Generated Passwords that has to be checked to make it visible in 1PW.

Thanks,
  • alexo
    alexo Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    It just happened again (with mersenne.org) but I believe I did it as described in the guide: On the web page I enter the account settings, in the field for the new password I start 1PW and let it generate one. Both fields (new pw + confirmation) are populated by 1PW and the new pw appears in the generated password section. But on submit I was only offered the choice between creating a new entry or replacing the old one - but not to update it. However the option to update did appear and worked on other websites (e.g. ebay and amazon) - and I used exactly the same steps. Neither did I change any configuration.

When I choose to replace the old entry, all original information is lost and replaced by the form information from the password update (including the link! it points no longer to the login page but to the update page). Sure, I could edit the entry manually and find the generated password in the gpw section - but the point is that I want all related information in one place and want this to happen automatically.

So how can I get the password history for all websites?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Thanks you for the additional information, Alexander. It sounds like there is something specific to this site that is preventing 1Password from recognising that you are updating an existing login. We will need to investigate this further. Sadly, with so many different ways to code a web site, I'm afraid I cannot offer you a solution right now that will be guaranteed to work in every situation. What I would suggest, for now, is that if 1Password does not recognise that a password is being updated, you create a new login instead of replacing the existing one. You can then copy over the new password to the old login, so that you don't have the "change password" web page saved as your login item, with its extraneous fields. This will not give you a password history for that particular item, unfortunately, but you will have the correct form fields saved for logging in.

I'm sorry I don't have a more satisfactory answer for you at this time.