This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Practical transition from 1Password 3.8.5 to 3.9

I understand the transition from the old purchase I had to the new one through the App Store. I also understand there is no license in v 3.9 due to my purchase tied to my Apple account. I have a question in light of this:

I see 1Password 3.8.5 in my Applications folder still, but I do not see 1Password 3.9. I only see the new version in LaunchPad. Do I delete the previous version (3.8.5) from my Applications folder? If so, how do I move the new version there? (My new version when opened through LaunchPad does recognize my previous password files, so it is working(.

Comments

• I posted this the other day, but have yet to receive a response from someone at Agile. Can someone please answer my question...

[color=#282828][size=4]

I understand the transition from the old purchase I had to the new one through the App Store. I also understand there is no license in v 3.9 due to my purchase tied to my Apple account. I have a question in light of this:

I see 1Password 3.8.5 in my Applications folder still, but I do not see 1Password 3.9. I only see the new version in LaunchPad. Do I delete the previous version (3.8.5) from my Applications folder? If so, how do I move the new version there? (My new version when opened through LaunchPad does recognize my previous password files, so it is working(. [/size][/color]

[size=2]

[list]

[*]Like This

[/list]

[/size]
  • StanTheMan
    StanTheMan Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    Hi [b]corasana[/b]

I understand your pain, IMHO the instructions for this upgrade leave much to be desired and little wonder that so many here [including me] have fallen into the traps that lay in wait for upgraders.

The Official Instructions have been suplimented by various ‘add on’ Insturctions buried deep in the Forum, and other knowledgeable Members have added various workarounds.

Although these workarounds are very welcome some may not be suitable for some 1Password Users.

However in the directions it does state [in words to the effect] that:

[b][i]....before downloading 1Password form the App Store you should drag the existing 1Password.app from your Applications Folder to the Trash.[/i][/b]

As you missed this step the MAS 1Password.app will, IIRC, probably be in a Folder named 1Password in the Applications Folder.

This happened to me, but a lot has happened since, hence my reservations above.

I dragged the MAS 1Password.app from it’s folder into Applications, but the outcome was a disaster and help was slow to arrive.

[size=5][b]I cannot recommend that you attempt relocation of the MAS 1Password.app without further reading or advice.[/b][/size]

I resolved the issue by resorting to the use of my Clone OS and effectively starting over, having read much of the Forum Content beforehand.

Sorry this is probably not going to be much use for you to get up and running, but hopefully it will stir some action from somebody who can offer a route out of the predicament you find yourself in.

Agile if you are listening, there is a [b]REAL NEED[/b] for a full step by step guide to the MAS 1Password Upgrade/MAS 1Password First Installation/Dropbox Installation & Set Up/Dropbox Set Up for those inroducing MAS 1Password into the equation/Plus everything a User needs to know about adding their Mobile Devices into the equation including setting up and syncing, to replace the existing instructions.

At the end of the day Users need to be able to make full use of the facilities on offer.

If the instructions are written by a person well versed in the workings of 1Password the product should be vetted by several users with little knowledge of the software, that way you might achieve an end result that all Users can understand?

Additionally the Software needs to be revised to return to the previous high standard of of 1Password by simply working as Mac Users expect their Applications to function.
  • Regardless of bad instructions, using a post title like this one in full caps is just plain rude and bad netiquette.

The instructions are actually pretty clear:[list]

[*]quit 1Password

[*]if you wish, uninstall the extension

[*]move 1Password out of the applications folder (Trash, backup, anywhere just not Applications)

[*]open Mac App Store and purchase 1Password

[*]Done

[/list]

At least, had you followed those instructions found here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/09/1password-the-mac-app-store-and-you/ and here: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/

Granted they aren't that easy to find but since you probably read about the upgrade somewhere I'm pretty sure there was a link back to a least Agile's blogpost.

Probably the easiest thing to do is just remove 1Password from your system, reboot and open MAS and try again. MAS should then detect the application to be gone and allow you to redownload 1Password solving the issue.

Make sure to backup your 1Password keychain first.
  • Thank you both for your help. I did uninstall the previous 3.8.5 version and did find the 3.9 version in the folder as you mentioned StantheMan! As to the comment regarding all caps, I think sometimes we get bent out of shape by typical netiquette guidelines most of us are aware of. It wasn't meant to be rude but to get Agile reps attention (which I still have not obtained). At least it helped getting your helpful information. Don't worry, Daenney, there was no rudeness in my intent, just attention getting. Thank you both again!
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi corasana,

Please let us know if this issue is still unresolved for you.

Thanks to the other two posters for the assist.

Ben