This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

My Positive Experience

charlie98
charlie98 Member
edited September 2011 in 1Password 3 for Mac
Reading the forums I was very apprehensive about moving to 3.9. With a bit of caution, like saving some files, I decided to take the plunge. I don't use dropbox, I checked and I had no extended attributes.

Went to MAS, downloaded, showed up in Launchpad, checked it out. Here's my experience

[b]Chrome[/b][list]

[*]first attempt right-click - open 1password - nothing

[*]subsequent right-click - open worked

[*]shortcut keys - nothing

[/list]

[b]Rockmelt[/b][list]

[*]chrome extension - [b]1Password Beta[/b] - Version: 3.8.3.31055 - error - agent not connected

[*]rockmelt extension via rockmelt support page - [b]1Password[/b] - Version: 3.6.3.30953 - crashes

[*]update extensions - nothing - back to replacement product

[/list]

[b]Safari[/b][list]

[*]no shortcut keys

[*]no apparent issues

[/list]

[b]FireFox[/b][list]

[*]I don't use so no experience

[/list]

[b]Shortcut Keys[/b][list]

[*]discovered that my shortcut keys were not remembered from 3.8.5

[*]reset keys

[*]partially worked thereafter

[/list]

If you've made it this far through my post and have had a positive experience maybe you want to comment. As I said I was apprehensive due to the current mood on the forum but I appear to have overreacted.

Since I'm always negative I will say I don't like the waste of real estate. For example I don't like the fact that in Folders I now have to scroll since the description includes images.

Comments

• sandysantra
    sandysantra Junior Member
    Charlie, you have it easy: you have a bunch of browsers, you don't use Dropbox, and you aren't syncing a bunch of Macs, iPhone, iPad, etc.

I wish I was in your shoes.

The sad thing is, the whole system worked for everyone flawlessly until this recent MAS update—all the different camps of users.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Thanks for noting your experience charlie!

Sandy, could you please start a support thread noting your issues and explaining your setup? We'd be happy to get things sorted for you, but please start your own thread (if you haven't already -- if you have, please hang tight and we'll get to you ASAP).
  • [quote name='charlie98' timestamp='1315859900' post='48317']

Since I'm always negative I will say I don't like the waste of real estate. For example I don't like the fact that in Folders I now have to scroll since the description includes images.

[/quote]

The answer, at least for me, is:

View > Layout > Traditional
  • sandysantra
    [quote name='bwoodruff' timestamp='1315880401' post='48418']

Sandy, could you please start a support thread noting your issues and explaining your setup? We'd be happy to get things sorted for you, but please start your own thread (if you haven't already -- if you have, please hang tight and we'll get to you ASAP).

[/quote]

I started several threads several days ago, including noting the folders bug early on. (I was one of the first to succinctly detail it.)

Then one of your moderators lumped all my bug threads together.

Then usage of 3.8.5 on an SL machine + 3.9 MAS on a Lion machine + iPad + iPhone hosed my 1Password file. Dropbox generated dozens and dozens of sync errors and corrupted the database. I now have divergent databases that will have to be hand examined and corrected. 300+ database records.

So I started other threads. I was ignored by your staff and moderators alike.

Then a user named "The Doctor" started a dialog with me. He is a Junior Member, like I am—neither a moderator nor one of your support staff. He was nice, helpful, worked with me, sympathized, offered an alternative fix, and was very helpful.

I have been working on this project (cleaning up probably THE most important file on all the computers I own) approximately two hours a day for three days.

Where have you been? If you are in fact a "Positive Experience Architect" for the company, shouldn't part of your job be starting a dialogue with someone like me who is having one of the most negative experiences with 1Password that he's ever had?

I have a day job, I commute 2 hours every day on the subway to that job, and I also walk 6 miles a day for exercise; and now, thanks to Agile's MAS release, the entirety of the rest of my day is devoted—EVERY SINGLE DAY—to fixing problems resultant from one of the most buggy software releases I have seen in 30 years of working in IT. I'm not getting much sleep these days, that's for sure. (I gather, however, that charlie98 is getting plenty.)

You say "We'd be happy to get things sorted for you...please hang tight and we'll get to you ASAP."

When would that be? Next week? Next month? A few leap years from now?

I've been a loyal, supportive, paying customer of yours for years. And I've been all over these forums in the last three days. You're just now noticing me?

Agile is looking more and more pathetic every minute. And I'm not the only one having trouble and complaining. All anyone has to do is read down the thread subject list on the first page of the MAS forum.

"The Doctor", a junior member, a user, and certainly not one of your employees, has been more helpful, sympathetic, and knowledgable than the lot of you combined.

This whole experience is leaving me more disgusted and unhappy every day. And I have the lovely task awaiting me of sitting down with two disparate 1Password databases this weekend to hand check each and every record out of 300+ to come up with a merged database that is both accurate and robust enough to put back on Dropbox. (Do you think you could whip up a batch import feature for me, since there isn't one? Didn't think so.) It took me a half hour this morning to get from AAA to ADP; so, given normal scope creep, I think I know what my entire Saturday this weekend is going to be devoted to. In the meantime, I'm reduced to running 1Password on one single computer; running it on any other device immediately corrupts the central database file. I have no access to my passwords on iPad, iPhone, or my MacBookPro at home (my main computer).

As someone who knows a little bit about how companies like OmniGroup and Oracle operate, you guys have a LONG way to go. It's no surprise that this release is full of holes and has so many people upset. What's sad is the lack of generosity, succinctly accurate tech support, and the preposterously unsympathetic attitude you're taking toward your users. If it's a race between you and Intuit, you'll be catching up with them shortly.

If I could put more vitriol into this post, I would. Lunch break is almost over however.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited September 2011
    Sandy,

I'm sorry to hear that your other threads didn't get the response you had hoped for! While every issue report is important, and yes — we [b]do[/b] want to hear them, sometimes threads need more effort to properly be addressed (or they need a unique resource within the Agile team) so they can't always be done chronologically. I cannot say if that was the case or not for your posts. Not having a response to a thread or specific post isn't the same thing as being ignored — it just takes time to get to everyone. In some of the really long threads, not catching a line reporting something in the middle is something we try to prevent but it does happen — after all we are human. If you ever think your concern or important factoid has been missed, please reply again to the same thread.

To keep things "orderly" we do move posts to topics of their own and sometimes move entire threads to other [sub-]forums. We also suggest that posters keep each thread related to as few issues as possible: "everything but the kitchen sink" threads are difficult to work through to make sure every item the poster has brought up has been addressed, and it's doubly confusing to our many readers of the forums searching for assistance or confirmation of their own situations.

As to your data file "corruption", I do wish we could have gotten involved early on. While we don't have any tools that could have instantly and safely done the review and determinations that you've already started, we do have some wisdom that might have saved some time and energy (mental as well as task). Now that you're already into the process it would probably be risky to switch to a different course of action other than the one you're taking. Making a 1Password (and Time Machine or other system-level) backup after you get this one copy of your data file back in shape will be an important step to take.

Fabulously, we do have lots of wonderful 1Password users here in the forums that can (and do!) help with responses, make connections with others, and generally extend the usefulness of the forums for everyone! We cannot thank them enough. I'm grateful to hear that The Doctor found you and offered their time to help out. I'd like to think that each and every one of you will someday do the same, if they're not already doing so.

I do want to say that we have fallen way below the level we're happy with in terms of our support. You have no idea how bad it feels to have even a single customer feel they've been slighted. We have let you down, and I'm genuinely sorry for that.
  • sandysantra
    Me, too.

When I booted up my MacBook Pro this morning, 3.8.5 (which was not even loaded!) corrupted my Dropbox database file so completely that 1Password would no longer accept the master password on my one good install, 3.9 MAS on my Lion Air. No master password, no access to the program, no access to my passwords. Love it.

I think it's an understatement to say you've let me (and all these other people down). It's just you, Marty, and the guy with the hat, right? Just you guys seem to be doing all the tech support. Can't Agile hire some more people? When OmniGroup's OmniFocus went big, they saw the handwriting on the wall and tripled their support personnel. When will Agile wake up?

It's not the money. I can't believe that enormously long thread over paying more $. Big deal. $19.95. Cry me a river. I'd pay Agile $50 HAPPILY if this thing worked.

No, it's the TIME I have to continue to invest in getting this program to work, an app that ran almost flawlessly for TWO years—that's the problem...it's the 2-3 hours a day I've spent every day for almost a week now.

If I was billing a client for the time, I'd be able to buy a new MacBook Air by now.

And don't even get me started with this tripe: "Fabulously, we do have lots of wonderful 1Password users here in the forums that can (and do!) help with responses...."

We know what Agile's doing: saving $100,000/year on the three extra employees they need but have chosen not to hire, making their customers do the troubleshooting and support instead on this hilarious forum that's like talking to a brick wall. Agile's owners take home those 6 figures, buy a new pool with a diving board, and pass the cost along to their loyal customers by scraping away at their spare time, each naive forum fanboy losing $50/hour as they post away, bonding with others suffering just as they are, since they've too naive to understand the economics involved.

At least I know and realize I'm being robbed blind.
  • [quote name='sandysantra' timestamp='1316026562' post='48975']

At least I know and realize I'm being robbed blind.

[/quote]

If you think you're being robbed now consider that the price goes up starting tomorrow according to Twitter.

And to think that all I wanted to do was to record my experience so that others might realize that not everyone was having issues. I have to wonder why someone would want to be on the bleeding edge, especially when what they had had worked for years. Change for change's sake makes no sense for mission critical.
This discussion has been closed.