This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Beginner question - Accounts vs. Logins

KeithFK
KeithFK Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Sorry, I haven't been able to locate any existing information about this. It seems that Accounts is intended for email accounts but when I logged into an email account and activated the autosave suggestion it saved the information in Logins. If I go to create an entry in Accounts for one of my email accounts, it wants me to enter a lot of information that I don't readily have available. Is there any information out there that might help a beginner decide which things should be in Accounts and which should be in Logins? And, if one adds a new email account to Accounts, is there an easy way to populate a lot of the available fields? Thanks very much, Keith.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Hi Keith,

First of all I'd like to welcome you to the forums, sorry your first post isn't under better circumstances. I'll try to give you a run down on the differences between logins and accounts when it comes to 1Password.

Logins are designed to store your username and passwords for websites that need you to login, such as your online banking, webmail or shopping sites. So, for example, if you had an account at Amazon.com you would save a login item for this so you could easily login to the site without having to remember your details.

Accounts are for things that aren't web based, such as e-mail accounts, FTP accounts and IM services. With regards to the e-mail account, a lot of this information is provided by your mail provider and since every service is configured differently I'm not sure I can really give you that much help in that regard. If you look at the the support guides for your e-mail, for example gMail has this, you should should be able to find all the settings you need to keep your e-mail accounts stored in 1Password so you can quickly and easy copy and paste the details into mail clients such as Apple's Mail, which doesn't have the ability to integrate with 1Password.

Hope that makes sense,
  • KeithFK
    KeithFK Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Stu,

Thanks very much for the reply. Some of it makes sense to me - my fault, not yours. I would have guessed that Gmail is something that is web-based, as is MobileMe, so why would I want to keep that information in the Accounts area in addition to the login? I would just like to try to use 1Password to the fullest extent I can - it seems like an absolutely terrific piece of software. One more usage question - if I already have my software license, AppleCare, etc. information in a Bento database, would I benefit in some way by moving that to 1Password? I seem to remember seeing somewhere in the 1Password support information that I should be able to do that by exporting a csv file from Bento and then importing that into 1Password.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Keith
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010
    [quote name='KeithFK']Hi Stu,

Thanks very much for the reply.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome!

[QUOTE]Some of it makes sense to me - my fault, not yours. I would have guessed that Gmail is something that is web-based, as is MobileMe, so why would I want to keep that information in the Accounts area in addition to the login? [/QUOTE]

Well, for me, I like to keep all the configuration details for my gmail powered accounts, both work and personal so I know I can easily set these up in a Mail client if I want to without having to go into the help guide. Although, with Apple's Mail on the Mac and iOS it's incredibly easy to do this anyway.

[QUOTE]I would just like to try to use 1Password to the fullest extent I can - it seems like an absolutely terrific piece of software.[/QUOTE]

A great place to get a crash course in 1Password is in our user guide, the 3-Minute Expert Guides specifically which you can take a look at here:

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/3_minute_expert.html[/url]

[QUOTE]One more usage question - if I already have my software license, AppleCare, etc. information in a Bento database, would I benefit in some way by moving that to 1Password? I seem to remember seeing somewhere in the 1Password support information that I should be able to do that by exporting a CSV file from Bento and then importing that into 1Password.

[/QUOTE]

Right now, 1Password can only import logins and notes using the generic text importer, however there's a great thread about how to use a little trick to import software licenses, which you could export from Bento, you can take a look at this here:

[url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?21952-Bulk-import-software-licenses&p=114511#post114511[/url]

It's really down to your own personal choice if you want to move your software licenses over to 1Password, I personally love the way they're stored and that the details are synced across to my iPhone and iPad, which is really handy when I'm installing software on the family iMac that I don't have 1Password installed on right now, I can just look it up on the iPad.

Hope all that makes sense,