This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

worst upgrade ever

Duane Williams
Duane Williams Junior Member
edited September 2011 in 1Password 3 for Mac
[color=#000000]This was one of the worst upgrade experiences I've had. After installing the new version 3.9, it would not read my old password database. [b]It failed with no explanation.[/b] Exploring the user forum, I discovered my database had to be moved to the top level of my Dropbox; so I moved it. 3.9 still failed to open it. Further exploration revealed that the problem might be due to a file permissions issue. I had to open Terminal and issue an arcane command to fix the problem. I'm no ordinary user. I'm a retired computer programmer. However annoying, I can deal with these kinds of problems, but I feel sorry for users who have never dealt with the Terminal command line. This was not a user-friendly upgrade by any means.[/color]

Comments

• hmurchison
    hmurchison Junior Member
    Some of these issues are precisely why i'm excited for the potential of iCloud for syncing. Once you get away from

a folder metaphor for syncing you neatly sidestep problems caused by nested folders or permissions issues.

I will still use drobox for keeping whole files in sync but I see things become a two headed hydra with iCloud for the often

synced data and dropbox for those secondary files that need to be synced but not multiple times a day because of changes.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi Duane,

I just wanted to chime in here and say I'm sorry that the upgrade experience was not smoother for you and I'm glad to hear you got it working.

We really would rather never have to have our customers jump into Terminal either. I agree, it isn't a very user friendly tool. That said, the particular bug you experienced is an Apple bug which we have notified them. If it weren't 1Password that you ran up against it with, it would have been another MAS app. The problem is not caused by 1Password. Hopefully Apple will fix this bug quickly, but we are happy to provide users with the fix that we were able to find in the mean time.

I hope that clarifies the situation. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Ben