This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Logins got copied when switching data files CRAP!

redneck
redneck Junior Member
I have two 1password keychain files. I primarily work in one file. On occasion I need to switch to the other. I have done so in the past without any issues. This time, a brief time after switching to the other data file in preferences, I saw the "logins" from my primary keycain appear in my secondary/other keychain. I closed 1password and re-opened each of the 2 keychain files and sure enough, the items were copied. This is NOT GOOD. I'm running v3.8.5 build 31141 on Lion. Thanks.

Comments

• redneck
    redneck Junior Member
    I restored the second password file from time machine to an new folder on my desktop, opened it by double-clicking on the file, and, at first it showed the correct logins but then, the logins from my primary file appears a couple of seconds after unlocking the newly restored file.

I then closed google chrome. restored the second password file from time machine again, to a new folder on my desktop, opened it by switching data files in the preferences, and the ILL behavior did not occur. I then opened google chrome and a few seconds later the logins from my primary password file appeared. My google chrome 1password plugin is version 3.8.3 b3
  • Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the delay in getting you a response to this question,

1Password only officially supports one data file at a time, it always has, but in the past our browser extensions could communicate directly with that file and so there wouldn't be an issue, though again it was never something we recommended or provided support for.

With the new sandboxed extensions use their own database and as such the 1Password [Agent or Helper] process assumes that there is only one data file in use and that anything in the browser extension that is not in the current (read: only) data file should be synced back.

Unfortunately, actively switching between data files is not something we support, let alone recommend. The one way to work around this issue would be to delete and reinstall the browser extension each time you switched data files, but this is basically a hack and not a configuration we can support.

Sorry that's not the answer you were hoping for, but the move to the new method of handling the browser data was essential to ensure we could support modern browsers and improve the extensions security.
  • Remy
    Remy Junior Member
    I recently ran into this exact same problem, only the second keychain where everything got copied was the one we use for work that resides in dropbox. That's right, all my personal info -- bank accounts, credit cards, email, facebook, any login in to any site I've saved in the past two-odd years -- got copied up there for all to see. Makes me wonder if I would have been better off just using "password" for all my passwords.

Fortunately, I trust my coworkers and it's a small company, so it's not the end of the world. But honestly, this has badly, badly shaken my confidence in 1password. I suppose it's ultimately my company's fault for going with an unsupported solution and there's really not much you guys can do at this point, but just wanted to throw my story out there so you're aware.
  • brenty
    edited September 2011
    Thank you for sharing that, Remy! While this is not something we officially support or recommend that people do, that is no excuse. This should simply never happen. We are actively looking into this, and if you can contact us via email (support@agilebits.com) with as much detail as you can (ask for Jeff and include a link to this forum thread) we would really appreciate it so that we can find out exactly how this happened and make sure that it never happens again. We look forward to hearing from you.