This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Helper Icon in the Menu Bar opens 3.8.5 version with 3.9.0 installed

I just installed version 3.9.0 from the mac app store from Lion 10.7.1.

Per instructions, i uninstalled the previous 3.8.5 version of 1Password by dragging the application from the Applications folder to the trash. (The instructions on the app store did not say how to uninstall it, and I understand that is the standard way to uninstall mac apps)

After deleting the old version, I installed the new one and enabled the helper icon in the menu bar.

If I click on "Open 1Password" in the menu bar, it opens a version of the 3.8.5 welcome screen that asks to select a keychain. (see picture attached)

[attachment=1353:Screen Shot 2011-09-12 at 10.30.28 PM.png]

I do have 3.9.0 installed, though. If I click on the application icon in lauchpad, I open a version of 3.9.0 (verified by checking the version number). The 3.9.0 version found my old files and automatically loaded them.

Additionally, the helper icon will lock the 3.9.0 installation.

Was I supposed to uninstall the previous version of the app in a different manner? If so, you should specify this on your app store page, or link to a place that says how to uninstall it properly.

[NOTE: i edited this post to fix the attached picture]

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

Suggested upgrade instructions can be found here: [url="http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/"]OFFICIAL ANSWERS: 1Password and the Mac App Store[/url]

Thought you make an excellent point and we will try to make this more clear. Thanks!
  • I feel like you didn't address the problem. I know I'm experiencing it, and your link doesn't give me any answers. It's true that I didn't follow the "official upgrade instructions," but that's probably because I installed 1Password 3.9 before the "official upgrade instructions" existed.

The helper icon was launching 1P 3.8.x for me, too, so I dragged 3.8.x to the trash. Now when I choose "Open 1Password" from the helper icon, nothing happens. Should I uninstall 3.9 and then reinstall? Do I need to worry about my data and/or preferences? (I seem to recall new rules for that as it's a MAS app.)
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Hello Logic Bus

I am a little late to the party here, but would you mind trying a couple of things.

Could you open 1Password and go to the pref and under the extensions tab uncheck the box for show helper in menubar. The helper should disappear.

If it does then recheck the box from this point on unless something is really wonky. It should open the correct version.

It is possible the menubar version you see is left over from the previous install or in someway tied to it. You could also try quitting the 1Password helper from the activity monitor.app It should automatically restart itself and it should be tied to the current install unless I am missing something. it is 4:20 AM and I should have been in bed 5 or 6 hours ago...

You can also toggle the keep helper running box, but make sure to check it so the helper will stay running always.

And yes I also remember those warnings.. Seems like if you uninstalled it would also take the keychain with it . I can't recall thats another great reason to have the keychain in Dropbox IMHO **** Don't quote me on this as I have only saw the warning in passing and cannot be for sure what it said **** Sorry I should be more help on the subject. But I am still trying to understand all the little differences between the 3.8.x and the 3.9.x. Being a volunteer I do have some time for learning the details but not like the paid people.
  • I tried what you described, and no dice.

I also tried unchecking both boxes, restarting, checking both boxes. Again, no luck.

I use Dropbox with 1Password. Does that mean I don't risk my passwords if I uninstall/reinstall 1P 3.9?
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    You shouldn't need to uninstall 1Password 3.9, just the old version. I would be surprised if it was launching from your trash, but please be sure you move the old application to your trash and then empty the trash. Double-check that there is only one copy of 1Password.app in your applications folder. (You might check your Desktop and Downloads folders as well.)

If you [i]do[/i] end up reinstalling 1Password 3.9 from the Mac App Store, your data is stored separately, so it will not be harmed.