This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Auto wipe after failed password requests

bkx
bkx Junior Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
It would be kind of nice if the application would auto-wipe the database after a set number of failed password/unlock code attempts.

Because this feature might be annoying for some users, it would be nice to have an option to enable/disable this for password/unlock code, and to set the number of retries to allow before wiping.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums bkx

Here is Daves take on the subject

from this thread

[url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?22340-Auto-Destruct-Data-on-1Password-Touch-After-x-Failed-Attempts[/url]

[quote name='dteare']I see where you're coming from but I really dislike the idea of deleting people's data. While in theory this may help keep people secure, I think it is much more likely people will accidentally shoot themselves in the foot. Imagine if I added some important data to my iPhone and then by 4 year old daughter was playing with the unlock screen and all my data ended up being removed.

Auto-destruct features like these are easily circumvented anyway because the first thing a real criminal would do is copy your data off your iPhone so they can attack it offline with real tools.

As a compromise we added an increasing delay when the PIN code and Master Password are entered incorrectly. This delay will thwart "inquisitive" family members who want to see your data but will never destroy your data.[/QUOTE]
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    Hi bkx, welcome to the forums.

I would like to mention that the iPhone OS itself has this feature as well as the ability to wipe it remotely with a MobileMe subscription, it is better to do it system-wide than to just have it restricted to 1PW, especially when you have address book and personal as well as business email accounts. If you go to iPhone Settings and then to General section, you'll see passcode lock, go there. Enter your passcode and you'll see the data wipe after 10 incorrect passcodes at the bottom of this page, "Erase Data".

In the eventual wiping of the data off the iPhone, you can easily restore it to iPhone with iTunes.

This goes well with the "increasing but annoying" passcode entry that 1PW has built in which will turn away the curious family members because it wouldn't be long before you'll notice somebody has been tempering with it since you'll see the error bar on it. It' s a very good system for that. Unfortunately it doesn't turn away the smart criminals, nothing usually does. The criminals will just make duplicate copies of your iPhone data and run all of them at same time, which mean they won't care about data lost. Apple did add hardware encryption to iPhone starting from iPhone 3GS and you can store encrypted backups with iTunes.

Please let us know if you have any more questions,