This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Safari extension won't connect to Helper

rnb2
rnb2 Junior Member
edited September 2011 in 1Password 3 for Mac
I just went ahead with switching from 3.8.5 to the MAS version. Moved 1PW to the trash before purchasing from the App Store, as instructed. Everything seems fine, except that the Safari extension will not connect to the Helper, so the extension will not unlock. The Chrome extension seems fine.

I've tried both the current release extension and the latest beta. I've tried shutting Safari down multiple times (with Option key held down).

I'm seeing some entries in the system log such as:

sandboxd: 1Password Helper deny file-read-data /Users/rick/Safari/Databases/safari-extension_com.agilebits.onepassword-safari-(random string)

Any ideas? Got really used to 1PW working like a charm.

Comments

• rnb2
    rnb2 Junior Member
    Tried everything I could think of with no luck, so I deleted the MAS version from Launchpad, dragged 3.8.5 back out of the Trash, and now everything is back to working fine. Would still appreciate any pointers on how to solve the extension issue with the MAS version going forward, as I'm not the only one who has had this issue.
  • rnb2
    rnb2 Junior Member
    Any ideas what is causing the above problem? Would be nice to get some use out of the $20 I just spent.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi mb2,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Safari extension after installing 3.9?

[url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/troubleshooting_safari_5.1.html#extension_data_does_not_match_the_main_application"]Extension Data Does Not Match the Main Application[/url]

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks

Ben
  • rnb2
    rnb2 Junior Member
    Ben - I had tried that, but I tried something new today that fixed the issue.

I have a 2009 27" i7 iMac, and have my OS on an external FW800 SSD for better performance than the internal drive. My user folder is on the internal hard drive, but I recently moved a few files to the user folder on the SSD to improve performance, including the database portion of my Aperture library, the Safari folder from ~/Library, and a couple other items, using symbolic links to point from the normal location to the new location. Of course, Safari extensions are stored inside the Safari folder in question.

So, as a last-ditch attempt to fix my issue with 3.9, I moved the Safari folder back inside ~/Library, and everything now works fine. One of the signs that things weren't working right previously was that 3.9 never indicated that the Safari extension was installed, but since I moved the folder back to its normal location, it now shows as installed in 3.9.

So, it appears that something about 3.9 doesn't like it being located outside of the normal user folder, regardless of how it is accomplished (symbolic links usually work fine for such things, where simple aliases don't - not the case with this).
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Ah, that is correct. You'll start to see that will all apps purchased from the App Store soon due to sandboxing requirements. Thanks for the update!