This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Forms that ask for 1st, 4th and 11th letter of password

Many bank / credit card authentication mechanisms in the UK have a long hidden password, and then prompt you for 3 different letters from that password, different on each occasion. Can 1password support this?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Unfortunately there isn't much we can do in that instance. There isn't really any way for 1Password to know *which* characters from your password they are asking for.
  • While it can't do so automatically, 1Password [i]can[/i] quickly display the password for you using the Edit login dialog, allowing you to position the cursor at the far left and quickly count over to the numbers requested
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Thanks for the assist SaSaSushi!
  • danco
    danco Senior Member
    This has been asked for many times.

There may be no way for 1PW to do this without complicated programming that is not worth the effort. But there are plenty of ways it can be done theoretically.

1. A "reveal password" link coupled with the characters being given their number. That way the user finds it easy to enter character 9 and not make the error of entering character 10. SaSaSushi's suggestion is too open to user error to be really satisfactory.

2. A link of some kind that tells 1PW "enter character ? of the password", where ? is a number entered by the user.

I am quite prepared to accept that such possibilities will turn out not to be worth the effort. But given how often it is asked for, I remain surprised that we keep getting bwoodruff's answer that there's not much that Agile can do rather than a reply that Agile thinks that it isn't a priority compared with other issues.
  • The suggestion that I saw somewhere in the forums was for the password to be revealed alongside a number-slide to make it easy for users to select the correct characters...

Something like:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]My Password[/font]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]12346789012[/font]
  • danco
    danco Senior Member
    [quote name='Mezzanine' timestamp='1316116089' post='49357']

The suggestion that I saw somewhere in the forums was for the password to be revealed alongside a number-slide to make it easy for users to select the correct characters...

Something like:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]My Password[/font]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]12346789012[/font]

[/quote]

That's what I meant by my suggestion 1. It should not be that difficult to do.