This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

3.2.5 pretty reliably crashes Safari 5

Groxx
Groxx Junior Member
edited July 2010 in Mac
Not sure if 3.2.5 is a beta build... sorry! If nothing else, I figure it's safe here.

Anyway. Whenever I have the Safari extension enabled, Safari crashes a good 80%+ of the time I attempt to visit a website. I haven't noticed any particular patterns, though lately I've been going through Top Sites a lot. The crash report always (I think. nearly, anyway) points out a SIGBUS error; I can crash it again to get you the full report, if you'd like.

Disabling the extension solves the problem, but then I miss my 1Password integration :| Any ideas, and how can I help?

(edit: see attachment for the bug report)

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Groxx']Not sure if 3.2.5 is a beta build... sorry! If nothing else, I figure it's safe here.

Anyway. Whenever I have the Safari extension enabled, Safari crashes a good 80%+ of the time I attempt to visit a website. I haven't noticed any particular patterns, though lately I've been going through Top Sites a lot. The crash report always (I think. nearly, anyway) points out a SIGBUS error; I can crash it again to get you the full report, if you'd like.

Disabling the extension solves the problem, but then I miss my 1Password integration :| Any ideas, and how can I help?

(edit: see attachment for the bug report)[/QUOTE]

Hi Groxx,

I'm sorry to hear that Safari is crashing a lot with 1PW extension, it looks like you have a lot of plugins running via Safari that could be causing a lot of issues. For example, you have 1PW 2 code still left over in /Library/InputManagers/1PasswdIM/ folder that you should remove if you are running only 1PW 3. You also have some haxie running like Unsanity APEs running that could be an issue.

Can you send us your diagnostic report via [email]Supprt@Agile.ws[/email] and we can help you in depth.
  • Groxx
    Groxx Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    I'll pull those two out, reboot, and give it a shot. I wasn't aware I still had APE running around, actually, until I looked closer at that report... Would you like me to send a report prior to removing & rebooting? Or maybe both?

Still, FYI, this is a new issue with 3.2.5. I've been following the betas pretty closely, and none of the others have done this AFAIK.

edit: email is on its way with both reports.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Groxx']I'll pull those two out, reboot, and give it a shot. I wasn't aware I still had APE running around, actually, until I looked closer at that report... Would you like me to send a report prior to removing & rebooting? Or maybe both?

Still, FYI, this is a new issue with 3.2.5. I've been following the betas pretty closely, and none of the others have done this AFAIK.

edit: email is on its way with both reports.[/QUOTE]

I've responded to your email with some suggestions. Please let us know either here or via an email reply after you've had a chance to perform the steps I listed.
  • Groxx
    Groxx Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    Did the whole set, and did a bit more testing, and found a more reliable way to crash Safari. You're right, it's unrelated to 1Password, I'm getting roughly even crashing with and without the extension.

Since it's the top item in the crashed thread in my crash reports, has anyone else seen a "WTF::HashTableIterator" or "WTF::Vector" at the start of a super-long line in other crashes? Or does it ring any bell? Given the crash report's "Interval Since Last Report" time is several days, I have doubts it's actually sending anything to Apple when it crashes, though I'm pressing "OK" each time. Know a way to force it? Or am I reading that incorrectly?
  • noelbernie
    noelbernie Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Hello,

Before starting, is there a reason why you are still running Safari in 32 bits mode ? Cmd+I on safari icon in Finder then uncheck the 'run in 32bits mode'.

So, about your crashes :

- first, check in /Library/InputManagers and ~/Library/InputManagers and move those files to the desktop, then delete the original files. (google Gears was discontinued)

- check if you can uninstall properly Application Enhancer and all its plugins

- check what you have in /Library/ScriptingAdditions and ~/Library/ScriptingAdditions. Do you just have 1Password?

then restart your mac.

- if it still crashes, you can disable Safari Extensions and see if it helps. Old versions of SafariAdblock wee crashing a lot for example, but it has been resolved since,

then restart safari.

hopefully it will be better after all that.

noelbernie
  • Groxx
    Groxx Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    Weird, didn't know it was in 32-bit. Probably a hold-over from the early Snow Leopard versions of SIMBL. I'm a bit surprised a full number update didn't change that... but meh. Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out!

I've removed all those files but the 1Password one, and rebooted, and.... same deal. Actually, possibly a bit [i]worse[/i], if that makes any kind of sense :^) WTF Safari, you should be [i]happier[/i] without run-time hacks!

I only managed to visit one site in it out of 15 attempts without it hanging or crashing, before launching Chrome to type this. Still possible it's about the same odds of it crashing, I might just be having a bad streak. Two sites which it's crashed on produce two different errors - Google Reader favors the WTF::HashTableIterator, and hacker news favors the WTF::Vector. I've got both error reports attached, and I think the different errors are reproduceable reliably.

Aside from 1Password, I now have no input managers / scripting additions, though I do have a couple Safari 5 extensions. I also have the WebKit nightly build, which [i]appears[/i] bug-free... weird.

Thanks for the ideas! Any more I should try?
  • noelbernie
    noelbernie Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    okay, your system is much cleaner now :-)

- can you disable the safari extensions ?

- if no luck, can you reset Safari (Safari ->Reset Safari... at least cache, but more will not hurt ... pages previews, history and stuff like that tend to bog down safari)

also delete [B]cookies[/B] (if you want you can backup the cookies file in ~/library/safari before doing so

- if no luck, can you try on another OSX user account ? (just create a dummy admin account, then test and delete affter a few minutes

- if no luck, can you download and install the 10.6.4 COMBO update ?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='noelbernie']- if no luck, can you try on another OSX user account ? (just create a dummy admin account, then test and delete affter a few minutes[/QUOTE]

Curious why you're suggesting an admin account. I'd probably start by temporarily enabling and testing with the non-admin Guest account.
  • noelbernie
    noelbernie Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    admin or guest, it should be the same.

i said admin because his current account is most likely admin, so the setup would more closely match

you could try to reinstall safari5 from [URL="http://www.apple.com/safari/"]here[/URL]
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='noelbernie']admin or guest, it should be the same.

i said admin because his current account is most likely admin, so the setup would more closely match

you could try to reinstall safari5 from [URL="http://www.apple.com/safari/"]here[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting those tips, noelbernie! We appreciate your assistance.
  • Groxx
    Groxx Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Ack, apologies to all, I guess it stopped notifying me.

I've re-installed Safari 5 from the downloadable version, and used it for almost a day with success until just now. Looks like it's happening in the same place, still. I'll try making another account soon.

I've been using the WebKit nightlies in the meantime, and they have yet to crash on me, so it appears it'll be fixed in the (indeterminately-distant) future... though I do find it ironic that the nightly builds of WebKit have [i]always[/i] been more stable than Safari for me.
  • noelbernie
    noelbernie Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    there is a bug in the javascript engine that makes Safari crash quite a bit.

using extensions makes this crash more than usual.

it'll be fixed soon ;-)
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Good to know, noelbernie, thank you for that update!