This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Cannot Purchase 1password from MAS when running 10.6 Snow Leopard [Answered]

Hi There,

I just tried to purchase 1password from the MAS but I cannot as it tells me that I'm not running MacOS 10.7.

I understand if there are technical issues that mean the the current version of 1password needs 10.7 but why can we not purchase a previous version of 1password for your very generous discount from the MAS for MacOS 10.6?

On Agile's website the earlier version is twice the price!?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Asa

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    Hi Asa,

Yes, 1Password 3.9 won't run on Snow Leopard. It is possible to make the purchase using your Apple ID on a friend or family member's computer so that you can get the discount.
  • Ben.....Please explain the answer you gave Asa? Do you mean put in my ID on my friend's computer and then, when I do upgrade to Lion, I can re-download the new program from my computer? If my friend already has upgraded to 3.9, what happens on his computer? Does MAS download a 2nd copy or just wait until I login with my computer and "ask" for a "re-download" of 3.9 or version ?

Thanks.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='forrests' timestamp='1316207655' post='49701']

Ben.....Please explain the answer you gave Asa? Do you mean put in my ID on my friend's computer and then, when I do upgrade to Lion, I can re-download the new program from my computer? If my friend already has upgraded to 3.9, what happens on his computer? Does MAS download a 2nd copy or just wait until I login with my computer and "ask" for a "re-download" of 3.9 or version ?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Hi forrests,

I'm not sure it will work if the computer already has 3.9 on it.

What you can do:

Go to any Lion computer ([i]that you trust[/i]) and click the purchase button for 1P. You will be prompted for the Apple ID / password. Instead of the one that is there by default, change the information to yours (your Apple ID / password). The purchase will then be tied to your account. 1P will be automatically installed on the computer you make the purchase on, but you can delete it from there. Then, when you upgrade your own computer to Lion, you can look at your "Purchased" tab in the App Store app and 1Password will be there.

I hope that helps.

Ben
  • That would be ideal. I would have done that if I had known previously. Unfortunately the only Lion computer I know has 3.9 now!

Maybe Agilebits should set-up an upgrade system for those of us in this situation. I'll buy it NOW even though I don't need to use it until later when I have time to upgrade to Lion is on my computer! You could give us a "download" code or web address for use on your system when we need it later. OR we could call or E-mail you at a special phone number/ E-mail address when we need the "download" so that you don't need to automate any real changes into your system, and you could tell us where to download it from.

Thanks.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    We'd love to be able to do something like that, but it isn't possible with the Mac App Store.
  • No...I'm suggesting that you set it up at Agilebits NOW before you decide to increase the price again for those of us who need to upgrade EVENTUALLY!

So you would use YOU system and NOT Apple's for this SPECIAL upgrade!

Thanks.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    We can't distribute 3.9 as it is through our system. It needs to be signed by the MAS in order to work.

So, as I said, it isn't possible. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.